Hot Rod front suspension?

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
IndianaJones

Hot Rod front suspension?

Post by IndianaJones » Wed 22 Mar 2017, 20:13

OK, so I’ve never actually ridden in or driven a hot rod/street machine fitted with Jaguar front and/or rear suspension, or for that matter the actual XJ6, and thus I’d like some advice from those whom have some experience of these suspensions.

I know they have been the go-to subframe mounted double wishbone independent front suspension setup for a long time, perhaps still, and besides availability, pricing, and relative ease of installation, or the compact design that lends itself to a conversion, why were/are they so popular?

Is the ride quality that much better, compared to other older front suspension setups, like from a Ford Cortina/Granada, or more modern cars like BMW E36 or E38 or E39?
I’d actually also like to know how it compares to one tonner torsion bar suspension, in the ride and handling department?
Why isn’t anyone using a front clip from a panelvan, like a Hyundai H100 or Kia K2700?

And then also, what feature, makes a Mustang II or Corvette suspension better than a Jaguar suspension?

Would there be one of the above mentioned suspension setups that naturally lend itself more towards a plush ride quality, and another more towards race car dynamics? And what would the differentiating feature be?

jlebenon

Re: Hot Rod front suspension?

Post by jlebenon » Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:15

Jags were very modern for thier time and they were a self contained unit both front and back so they were popular but install it incorrectly and the rise will be shocking ... E36 etc needs fabrication of shock tiers and mounts but works great if done properly , mustangII and Crown Vic again are self contained have good brakes and modern steering and there's a lot of them ...
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 08:00

+1. Jag is very heavy!!
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 11:22

jlebenon wrote:Jags ... install it incorrectly and the rise will be shocking ...
So installed correctly, they are still valid? Can they be fitted with coil-overs? Upgrading brakes should be straight-forward...
jlebenon wrote:mustangII... again are self contained... and there's a lot of them ...
Some say the Cortina mk3/4/5 have a RHD version of Mustang II front suspension, any truth in that?
Not that I think you are referring to the original Mustang II suspension, but rather the aftermarket kits.
jlebenon wrote:...have ... modern steering...
Technically speaking, what features constitutes modern steering?

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 19:24

Jaguar suspensions are getting expensive to rebuild and recondition but installed correctly they work very very well , the cortina works well too ... All depends on the chassis dimensions and the individual project or what the budget allows ... Personally I love the tight feel of rack and pinion setup but my Jeep Wrangler uses a steering box and it's brilliant so properly set up a stock suspension and steering can handle well too ... My Elcamino has full imported suspension it's like a skateboard ...
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 21:37

Jag is no longer cheap.

Also front not pretty, rear is....

What car, Jag in a roadster front or open wheel war not best option...

Fine in a truck
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 21:40

Aware of the looks, meant for a full-fendered rod.

Chev58

Post by Chev58 » Mon 27 Mar 2017, 00:33

Jag is expensive to rebuild/repair and installation must be spot on as there is very little adjustment available on the whole system and spring options are very limited if available at all to set up.
My choice would on my build will be the mustang II kit, lots of adjust ability on all components and lots of aftermarket/performance options on spindles, brakes, calipers, coil overs, air bags etc.
58 Chevy Apache

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Mon 27 Mar 2017, 11:40

OK, let's work with a chassis width around 800mm, and wheel bolt surface of around 1550mm width.
Assume, a busted budget, and function over form, i.e. best handling suspension for the budget.

When you say Jaguar suspensions are expensive to rebuild/repair, what exactly wears on the suspension? Springs can be re-tempered or made up, bushings can be made, is it the ball joints which are expensive or not available from local sources?

Let's assume each of the various suspensions are correctly set up, rebuild and in as new condition. Could someone please comment on the ride quality differences between them, in a hot rod application?

What does a Crown Vic front sell for, and whom imports them? Same with, Mustang II?

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:27

Move Egan has both !
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Social Media