Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Shaughn

What is a Muscle Car in SA

Post by Shaughn » Thu 23 Feb 2017, 21:08

For the sake of curiosity, i am Keen to know what the general thought is in SA as to what is classified as a Muscle Car.
I know we never had the massive USA / V8 culture or model availability like many places, and the V6 was our more common "Muscle" option.
I see many people talking of Italian and German cars within the MC criteria, would love to know what the train of thought is locally and within the community as i am new here.
Muscle car is an American term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports cars with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

Burnthosetyres

Re: What is a Muscle Car in SA

Post by Burnthosetyres » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:10

I think this is a very subjective topic. So a muscle car is determined by what was available in US at that time. Was a 2 door with a V8.

But in SA the Fairmont GT had 4 doors but was considered a Muscle car.
I think the Capri Perana and Can Am would be our best SA Muscle offerings... but to me a V6 Capri in its time in SA was Muscle!

But what is the exact perameters I think let's be inclusive rather than exclusive.
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 10:55

A true muscle car in SA is a BMW M3 with USN stickers all over it :lol: :lol:

I agree with Burnthosetyres on the muscle cars though
Apart from true American Muscle cars of the era, SA cars would be the CanAm's, Perana Capri's , Fairmont GT etc etc

As far as German Muscle cars go from the 60's 70's I think a 109 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3 would qualify, not many in SA though
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Shaughn

Post by Shaughn » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 11:12

For me the 2 or 4 door was never much issue, But i always felt it cannot be a muscle car if i is not American made ? As by definition it was American trend and movement.
Would the German cars not just fall under performance cars ?

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 14:29

Burnthosetyres wrote:I think this is a very subjective topic. So a muscle car is determined by what was available in US at that time. Was a 2 door with a V8.

But in SA the Fairmont GT had 4 doors but was considered a Muscle car.
I think the Capri Perana and Can Am would be our best SA Muscle offerings... but to me a V6 Capri in its time in SA was Muscle!

But what is the exact perameters I think let's be inclusive rather than exclusive.
My first car was a XL 3000L Capri and it was proper muscle in the day, not many cars could give me a go. I always liked the Chev SS/ Holden Monaro's too.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

marnus

Post by marnus » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 15:35

Anything from that era with a V and a roar - For me it was CortinaXR6 and Fairlane
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

Shaughn

Post by Shaughn » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 17:38

marnus wrote:Anything from that era with a V and a roar - For me it was CortinaXR6 and Fairlane
Have to agree, i stopped counting already how many 3.0 Cortinas i have had in my time. V8 always the dream but in SA V6 was the muscle available easily.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 21:13

Shaughn wrote:
marnus wrote:Anything from that era with a V and a roar - For me it was CortinaXR6 and Fairlane
Have to agree, i stopped counting already how many 3.0 Cortinas i have had in my time. V8 always the dream but in SA V6 was the muscle available easily.
Essex V6 has always, to my ear at least been a great sounding engine.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

marnus

Post by marnus » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 09:43

ZA Perana wrote:
Shaughn wrote:
Essex V6 has always, to my ear at least been a great sounding engine.
Agreed :!:
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 09:56

Yip I agree too, probably more good old Essex V6's than anything else back in the day, good sounding motor when it had a decent exhaust fitted. the Interceptors sounded very good

Muscle cars as per the above posts must be a V engine 6 or 8

Funny thing though back then when all my mates had a Ford V6's and VW GTi's as well as my one mate buying a new XR6 Sierra when it first came out, I had a Rover SDE V8 auto and then a Rover Vandenplas V8 with a manual I used to thrash all those V6's and Gti's.
I also had my Granada XL Coupe as well so the Essex was still in my blood. Was a brilliant car the Granada
In 1986 I did the SA Group A Association driving instruction course at the original Kyalami. was a great feeling passing a GTi as well as a Cortina XR6 down the old straight with my standard Rover SDS V8 auto. unfortunately on the day a guy wrote off his XR6 Cortina which was sad
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Social Media