GOODWOOD STOCK CAR HISTORY cont..........

Chooms

GOODWOOD STOCK CAR HISTORY cont..........

Post by Chooms » Thu 19 Mar 2009, 14:53

Hi everybody
I would like to continue a thread posted by Warren a while back regarding Stock Car racing at Goodwood, and like him and Gunter, I also grew up at Goodwood when my father was racing V8's around Goodwood (or the Texan Raceway as it was called at one stage). The related topics (that I know of) regarding Stock Car racing at Goodwood I refer to can be found at http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... CK+HISTORY
and http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... f=5&t=1876

My father and I attended the Cape Helldrivers 40th Anniversary party on 06 March and it was a very successful evening with legends who raced through the decades all in attendance. Gunther's father did a brilliant job as MC, and I actually met Gunther as well and we had a brief chat - so it was great to finally meet a member of this forum! We also had a drink and a laugh catching up with Warren's uncle, Harold Lotter (#27), which was brilliant. (We just missed Wally though). Also caught up with Du Toit van der Merwe, Derick Mans, Ray Butters, Edwin Hambley, Big John Geldenhuys, Andrew Fontini, Andre Ferreira and John Bam to name a few. We were seated at Jack Holliway's table with Deon de Waal, and Uncle Jack (as he is known to anybody who was a lighty back then) had us in stitches all evening. It was definately a successful evening and one I'll remember for a long, long time. I really think they should make it an annual reunion!
So, I've been wanting to post some pics ever since so here goes. I'm busy going through the photos and will try and post more photos where there are also other drivers in the shot - so that it's more interesting and this doesn't look like a self-centred exhibition!! :lol: Anyway, these are the photos I have on hand for the moment that I thought I'd share with you, enjoy.
Regards
Gersh
Attachments
Helldriving 001.jpg
The dust will choke you blind,
The lust will...choke your mind.
- Rodriguez

Chooms

Re: GOODWOOD STOCK CAR HISTORY cont..........

Post by Chooms » Thu 19 Mar 2009, 15:50

....so it appears that after ALL of that I am unable to load these photos because they're too big (exceeding the 500kB limit). I'll hopefully have it sorted out and will have them posted as soon as.
- Rodriguez

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 19 Mar 2009, 19:12

If you need the tips for resizing look here: http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=1436

Chooms

Post by Chooms » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 12:57

As they say, "I get by with a little help from my friends", thanks Tiaan and zahistorics, problem sorted.
OK - FINALLY, the photos of Goodwood Stock Cars.......
Attachments
IntheStands.jpg
Add one Chevelle plus one armco barrier less the Ferodos and you end up with airborne stock cars! This was in Goodwood bend, hit the fence so hard after brake failure that the car shot into the stands. Luckily Deon was performing a stunt that night so there was a crane at the track. The car was lifted by the crane driver, all that was wrong was a couple of punctures and a buckled rear shock, which was sorted out during interval and we were in the next race!!
GrandBazaars.jpg
In the '57 with Deon de Waal in his blistering quick Grand Bazaars Monaro in pursuit.
Early days.jpg
This one is for Johan, early days in the Chevelle.....
- Rodriguez

Chooms

Post by Chooms » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 13:15

Here's an interesting photo taken in the pits. It's a '64 Chevelle which our panelbeater (with some very innovative fabrication) turned the Chevelle into a fastback! It was all his idea, when we got to the workshop he had already chopped the roof! But what makes the photo even more interesting is that if you look carefully in the background you'll see the back of Warren's Dad's F100, and if you look even closer you'll see two lighties sitting on the tailgate - maybe Warren can identify who they are. If I recall correctly, the car right behing my Dad's is Harold Lotter's Fairmont GT.
Attachments
ChargertronChev.jpg
- Rodriguez

Chooms

Post by Chooms » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 13:21

Coming out of Goodwood bend, you can just see the front of Du Toit van der Merwe's Tafelberg Meubelaars Monaro - which was also a very fast car. I think he took the championship with this car in the early 80's.
Attachments
DuToit.jpg
- Rodriguez

Chooms

Post by Chooms » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 13:23

Same car different season......
Attachments
Helldriving 013.jpg
- Rodriguez

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 19:13

Brilliant :!: Thanks

keep them coming.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:22

Magic stuff. This really winds back the clock. Thanks

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Mon 23 Mar 2009, 12:10

Thanks for the photos! Do you mind if I post some of them on the Canadian Poncho Forum? Especially the fastback version!
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Social Media