gt fairmont wanted

Sell your muscle car
Forum rules
If you are not a regular forum member, please introduce yourself in the Indroduce yourself/Welcome to new members section. Tell who you are, where you are from and some background details. Your advertisements will be deleted if you don't.
  • ● All adverts must include pictures and a price. This is not a bidding site.
  • ● Please respond to enquiries, if you don't respond your add will be removed.
  • ● Please change an item heading to SOLD when it is sold.
  • ● Members are allowed 12 adverts per year to make sure the forum stays an enthusiast platform.
Rhayader

Re: gt fairmont wanted

Post by Rhayader » Thu 15 Oct 2009, 10:44

fair points, although homes are different, IMO. That's investment, I don't consider my cars an investment, even though these days they can be great money makers...

I just resented being called a liar, that's all....I prefer the term delusional :)

Cheers

Paul D.

kwazulu arnie

Post by kwazulu arnie » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 05:05

Graeme, I am afraid that you are living in the past with your references to the pots of money to be made by exporting cars back to Australia! At first, this was a valid criticism but there is not much money in such pursuits anymore. Fairmont GT's and Monaros are proving VERY hard to sell in Australia; those that do, are often sold cheaply. The GFC and a rapidly developing bias against RSA variants appears to have just about crippled the market.
There has not been a better opportunity in the past few years, for locals to obtain that elusive GT or SS.
Arnie

hkozy

Post by hkozy » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 08:52

the reasoning behind the slump in Aussie/RSA muscle cars in australia is not because of
the recession totally.

the strengthening of the AUS$ now means you pay bugger all for USA muscle. The AUS$ will be on parity with the US$ by the end of the year, meaning instead of buying a XYGT Falcon for 120k aussie, you can buy a camaro, mustang and 55 chev for the same money landed in australia.

if i was partial to the USA cars, i'd be buying 3 muscles from the usa and not buying a Falcon GT.

there is no rapidly developing bias against the RSA cars in aus at all, in fact it's the opposite.

with the likes of boxy in perth and the recent GT nationals, the "rhino" owners did RSA proud with thier jawdropping presentation of the exported GT's. most GT clubs now recognize Fairmont GT's and they are getting more and more respect.

mick

hkozy

Post by hkozy » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 09:16

for those who haven't seen this photo, it is but a small amount of work that the aussie boys who have bought SA cars have contributed.

Rhayader

Post by Rhayader » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 10:07

I'm not convinced about growing bias either. I think there is strong bias among Aussie enthusiasts who would be unlikely to buy an RSA car anyway, but there is growing interest among fans of Aussie muscle cars priced out of the local market (ie the majority of us). And as more pople learn about them, there is more interest.

I speak to people in the street all the time now who know a little bit about RSA muscle - and they always want to know more...

Cheers

Paul D.

GUZZLER

Post by GUZZLER » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 13:31

I am with Mick on this one as I myself have been looking for another car but to get anything from SA is far to expensive as if you look you could buy one here for less but I am now looking at the USA as I have always liked 78 trams ams and with the exchange rate 20k will get me a mint one landed maybe even a real bandit for that money :D

I myself dont by cars to make money my life is far too busy to go down that road but I do love cars and will always try and get the best car for the money that I have to spend at the time and I do have a handle on what stuff is worth. I myself dont think there is anything wrong with that.Lets face it if you buy and go with importing and the risk you take you have to save at least 15/20% other wise you are crazy IMO as a lot can go wrong and what some call good condition can vary a lot in different eyes

I dont think resentment is the word for SA muscle even though very much the same they will never comand the money as the Oz brothers yes they will go up but there will always be a gap between them

Just my thoughts buy the way I love reading this forum keep up the good work
Never seen a ROO run so fast with a RHINO up its arse!!

HKGTS186S

Post by HKGTS186S » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 15:36

kwazulu arnie wrote:Graeme, I am afraid that you are living in the past with your references to the pots of money to be made by exporting cars back to Australia! At first, this was a valid criticism but there is not much money in such pursuits anymore. Fairmont GT's and Monaros are proving VERY hard to sell in Australia; those that do, are often sold cheaply. The GFC and a rapidly developing bias against RSA variants appears to have just about crippled the market.
There has not been a better opportunity in the past few years, for locals to obtain that elusive GT or SS.
Arnie

I agree there is not really any money to be made it is actually a little more expensive at times to import from RSA than buy a RSA built car here in Aus , as when most are put on the market they generally don't sell quick and when they do sell it is at not too high a price.

I am looking at importing a car for myself and believe when it arrives if i wanted or had to sell it i would be lucky to break even for what it would sell here in Aus (inclusive of all the shipping costs and our local fees,taxes and charges).
AUS Muscle and RSA Muscle closely related !!!

Boxy MS33

Post by Boxy MS33 » Fri 16 Oct 2009, 17:16

FPT wrote:Hi
Well suppose I can also have a word or two concerning the subject as a owner of some GT's.

One should take into account that these cars rolled of the production line in the seventies. There plenty to use and abuse. They were mainly used as family cars and with fuel aplenty there was no problems. Although the GT's were nice, big and fast it was actually just another usable transport mechanism as any large family vehicle today

During the eighties these cars were obviously ten years old, now the average person does not drive a car for that long. They were traded on shiny new models of what ever the owners considered a good replacement. Also petrol became a bit more of a problem so smaller engines were used by manufacturers.

Nineties were the odd time for the cars, high petrol prices, rice burners that became faster etc. They were actually in the way with their big ass bodies and were left under trees, if lucky. (I bought my first one from under a tree by the way!!)

After 2000 things started happening!! Why? Well our Aussie friends' Falcons went mostly the same way but then suddenly it was realized that this was part of their heritage being a Assie Muscle Car. Prices went up, and nobody could afford a XW/XY Falcon. It was realized that some escaped Assie land as Fairmont GT's which is the exact same thing as Falcon GT's.

With our monetary unit as crap as ever it was much cheaper to get a car from ZA. A few saw the break and started to milk the new golden cow for a few bucks, even some on this forum I know for a fact. Suddenly the old fat ass Fairmont is a true South African Muscle Car, wow!!!

Now they are becoming extinct every body is crying as with some wild animals may be the case.

My point with this essay: Every thing starts a plenty, get used, become less, then become even less.... And the price rise because they are so few. Thus the ones left will become worth even more. Maybe my kids will benefit as mine is not for sale for many years to come.
Well said Andre I think you hit the nail on the head.

Lets put it this way importing a GT is about $$$ money.

Money to get permit
Money borrwed by banks
Money to purchase
Money made by seller
Money made by transporter
Money made by Police
Money made by fumigator
Money made by cleaner
Money made by shipper
Money made by customs
Money made by transporter
Money made by panel beater
Money made by painter
Money made by GT parts supplier
Money made by license dept
Money made by tax dept
etc etc etc..........................................................................

Here is a scenario : you have some land & its nothing but swamp & worthless but then someone drills and finds oil on that land it then becomes something of value.

There is no point crying over spilt milk the GT's have left & I dare say will never return but those that appreciated these cars for what they are & not for what they will be worth are the ones laughing...
We in Australia that own a GT "RESPECT" that we own a SOUTH AFRICAN FORD FAIRMONT GT" and are doing what we can to make them stay that way. Its taken a long time but the Falcon GT owners have come around to understand that they are unique.

We have stickers here saying " Born in Australia but raised in South Africa"

As Andre said when all the exstict animals are gone is only when people say "where are they??" when before things could of been done to change the future.......................
Fairmont GT Registry
Do I have your details???
What we learn helps ALL.
http://www.safairmontgt.com.au/

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 17 Oct 2009, 19:15

Well the whole GT saga is actually quite sad and also quite happy in a way, confused yet! Well its sad that many guys in SA will not be able to have see a GT smoking the tyres but on the other hand the cars are being looked after in Aus, whereis here that probably would have been riced up.

My take on certain dealer is well know so I wont rehash that here...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Sun 18 Oct 2009, 09:56

ZA Perana wrote:Well the whole GT saga is actually quite sad and also quite happy in a way, confused yet! Well its sad that many guys in SA will not be able to have see a GT smoking the tyres but on the other hand the cars are being looked after in Aus, whereis here that probably would have been riced up.

My take on certain dealer is well know so I wont rehash that here...
You said it ZA.

At least cars that went over to OZ are getting a new life.

Social Media