New muscle car fan looking for an F100

Try here if you want something specific
Forum rules
If you are not a regular forum member, please introduce yourself in the Indroduce yourself/Welcome to new members section. Tell who you are, where you are from and some background details. Your advertisements will be deleted if you don't.
jason75

New muscle car fan looking for an F100

Post by jason75 » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 07:04

Not sure if i need to move the questions to another thread but here goes. Ters and Hugh, hope you guys can advise on this. Right, as mentioned im looking at getting a 55 truck, have made some calls, checked some sites etc and what i want to know is, with a lot of the vehicles either been rust buckets and totaly shot is it an option to try and source from overseas rather or maybe if i can get a body here thats not too bad use the cab, front end section, have a new steel bin made and source fibre fenders maybe? Or go the full fibre route - which i think detracts from getting that original 'feel' i guess. Was also thinking of getting a different chassis to use for the build.

HughMuller

Re: New muscle car fan

Post by HughMuller » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 07:51

jason75 wrote:Not sure if i need to move the questions to another thread but here goes. Ters and Hugh, hope you guys can advise on this. Right, as mentioned im looking at getting a 55 truck, have made some calls, checked some sites etc and what i want to know is, with a lot of the vehicles either been rust buckets and totaly shot is it an option to try and source from overseas rather or maybe if i can get a body here thats not too bad use the cab, front end section, have a new steel bin made and source fibre fenders maybe? Or go the full fibre route - which i think detracts from getting that original 'feel' i guess. Was also thinking of getting a different chassis to use for the build.
ok so let me see if i can advise you I have been through this already a few times.
the biggest challenge is to find the right truck at the right price. importing a truck from is going to be costly and before you even start the chances are you going to be well over a R70K down without even the purchase of the truck etc and chances still are that you gonna need to do some work. I am busy importing a 48COE and its gonna be a real costly affair but thats what i want.

sourcing locally the biggest requirement is patience and lots of that.
you are right with the state of truck in SA since they were all work horses and will be dinged dented and rusted out, the really plus side of this is the fact that you can get patch panel from the USA for pretty much every known spot that gets damaged or is rusted out and it works out a lot cheaper to import.
I just brought in cab corners, front cowl patches and a whole bunch of other patch panels for My56 and even with the Rand /Dollar exchange was still very reasonable.

So in my opinion is try source a local truck and ask the guys on the forum if they know of any, send me a PM and we can chat to i my know of some too.

with regards to the loadbin the box is very easy to keep original look including the stake pockets which I am current doing, if you want the more "original look" then import steel fenders otherwise you are welcome to come a take a mould off mine for Fiber or carbon fenders.

with regards to chassis no need to go extreme like my truck if you have a look in the build section and the 56 Chassis i am building but you can either box up the original chassis if its straight and true, otherwise source another, or if you really want I can laser cut and weld up a new chassis for your you. what you do need to consider is front suspension and rear
I know a lot of guys go the jag route, i am not so big on this route I either go with an uprated thicker Mustang 2 version or corvette C4 and then the rear really is your choice you want to go either with a solid axle like a 9" either parallel or triangulated 4 link, or trailing arms or even a full Independent rear.

just take your time and as away to get the answers your require
1969 Camaro Convertible RS/SS Full Frame 427CI ZL1
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

jason75

Post by jason75 » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 08:02

Thnx Hugh i will definately pm you and we can chat more. I agree with what you say and yes patience will be needed to source a good body. Was thinking of goingvround to kobus van der merwe and sons out eastrand way to go see what they have. I know ghey had the older 48 model shape but i dont really like those, would prefer the 53 to 55 and if i could get a 56 even better

jason75

Post by jason75 » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 08:03

Also dont like the jag route for chassis will talk to you about alternatives

HughMuller

Post by HughMuller » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 11:53

i hope to be picking up another 56 in a few days that will be on the market

go have a look at my build
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19033
a lot of info there to give you some idea
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

jason75

Post by jason75 » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 14:27

Wow, thats one awesome build

HughMuller

Post by HughMuller » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 16:29

thanks gives you some ideas
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

Bearhawke

Re: New muscle car fan looking for an F100

Post by Bearhawke » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 06:08

Add me to the list that shopping 'locally' would be wiser since most RSA spec American bakkies are already RHD and, parts availability from the USA is quite good including sheetmetal, etc. with the obvious exception of some of the RHD specific pieces i.e. steering, dash, etc.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Social Media