Historics racing Killarney 4yh and 5th Feb

A place to give details for upcoming events and some nice pictures afterwards.
ant

Re: Historics racing Killarney 4yh and 5th Feb

Post by ant » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:04

Havn't been on here for ages, but saw some of the comments on the Killarney Historics and wanted to add some feedback and colour to our adventures with A2.

As Anton rightly pointed out, we have had many challenges over the last months in getting A2 to run anywhere beyond 4 grand.

Besides that (Centipede between needle and seat somewhere in the Holley only Oom Koos would look !) and Kosie re-arranging the crown-wheel and pinion on Thursday afternoon before race day, it certainly was a bold and ambitious objective to attempt the 2 hour endurance race.

Those in the know about A2 ( many of you fall into this category but ZAHistorics and Peranaman immediately spring to mind!) will point out that A2 was never built for endurance events and in fact prior to the Feb race has never attempted such an endeavour (Maybe once in its Rhodesia days, but certainly didn't finish), adding to the challenge before us.

As it turned out, it was one of my most satisfying and enjoyable "day at the races"

Besides the nostalgia of having Oom Koos on hand and Klein Kosie sharing the drive, finishing the race and on top getting a 3rd overall was way more than we could have expected.

Taking the second hour stint, after Kosie scared the s$%^&t out of the prototypes for a while before settling into a rhythm, was a challenge stretching the limits of my humble driving abilities.
It was a significant challenge managing the brakes ( no rear brakes for the last 45min) and engine temps and still trying to maintain reasonable pace, but in the end we brought her home.

Proud day for me as custodian of this old war horse and hopefully added another page to its illustrious history!

Ant

VMX

Post by VMX » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:35

And histirically significant is was, 40 years ago Koos snr had raced the car. Sad thing is that such an historic car circled for 2 hours to be seen by who ever bothered to pitch up or stay for the 2-hour. And so it did "discreetly" to a sparse outfield of spectators. When these cars either go into retirement or abroad then people will cry foul in true ZA tradition.
Attachments
DSC08718.jpg
DSC08718.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 1752 times

ant

Post by ant » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 13:35

VMX

As long as you are there to take the excellent pics you always seem to snap, I promise I will bring her out whenever I get the chance.

Even if it ends up being only A2 on the track, you "the other side of the fence" as you always say, and the lone security guard at the gate!

There may well be just such an occurrence at the end of this month or thereabouts.
PM me if we should let you know " wie wat waar !"

Ant

VMX

Post by VMX » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 14:55

Thanks for the compliment Ant but it's amature pics more recording a moment in time than anything else. Sorry didn't chat but your pit was busy. Oom Koos's toolbox always had some bloudraadn that would have done the trick for the left exhaust ! Well done for 4th overall finnish.
Attachments
100_4463.jpg
100_4463.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 23:05

Unfortunately Willie's car shed its left rear wheel and was t-boned by another car in the heat on Sunday and was fairly badly damaged

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 01:29

Hi Ant, VMX and KR , nice to seem some old faces back here, we've been missing you.

VMX

Post by VMX » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 09:23

ant wrote:Besides the nostalgia of having Oom Koos on hand and Klein Kosie sharing the drive, finishing the race and on top getting a 3rd overall was way more than we could have expected.Ant
My mistake, I mentioned the Perana finnished 4th as provisionally anounced by one of the commentators. The car could have finnished anywhere. It with it's sideshow was more significant than a podium finnish. Also note how many other cars broke over the weekend just racing in the short races.
Attachments
100_4398.jpg
100_4398.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

ant

Post by ant » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 14:28

No problem VMX

To be honest, I think we ended up 3rd due to a penalty to another car. But as you say, this is not significant.

Next time, don't stay away from the pit!
Firstly we could have used the extra hands with the "bloudraad fix" and more importantly with the refuelling strategy!
Getting 90l into the Capri held us back a bit, and you probably noticed that this isn't the Swanepoel's strongest point.
You should have heard Oom Koos shouting at Kosie for giving me feedback on the car instead of helping him get "die blerrie petrol in".
It was quite comical, also when Oom Koos went off because the mechanic was taking too long to bring the bloudraad in the first place.

Ant

Social Media