Classic open day at Killarney

A place to give details for upcoming events and some nice pictures afterwards.
Wannabee

Classic open day at Killarney

Post by Wannabee » Sun 18 May 2008, 21:25

Hi Guyd
Did any of you guys go to Killarney today and if so how was the day? I am new on the forum so Howzit to everyone!!
If you cannot be good BE GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!

ZA Perana

Re: Classic open day at Killarney

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 18 May 2008, 21:34

Welcome to the forum...unfortunately I couldnt attend...did anyone take any pics?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Sun 18 May 2008, 21:56

I got some pics which I will upload tomorrow.

Disappointing that there were so few classic road cars both on and off the track. Quite a few race cars and road going Porsches, Audis, WRX's, etc. Maybe it was not well advertised but I expected Perana, CanAm, Mustang, Super Boss types to be on the track. It was not a race and therefore one would have expected a wider entry.

The right idea tho' so possibly more exposure next time.

ren8gor

Post by ren8gor » Sun 18 May 2008, 22:20

Sorry to hear it was a poor turn out. Take it the weather was not a factor? I would like to have been there, but circumstances conspired to have me on a business trip in africa. Also, my R8 Gordini is STILL NOT READY YET???? When will it ever be??? Oh well, hopefully for next race meeting.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sun 18 May 2008, 22:21

I heard there was a gate fee is it true ? For WPMC card holders that is?

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Sun 18 May 2008, 22:52

R40 gate fee regardless if you are a member.

In fairness, it was a fund raising effort by the Classic Car guys, not sure what they are going to do with the money. I think to put your car on the track was R160 and to get a taxi ride you paid about R50.

I was VERY restrained and managed NOT to put my car on the track, but then regreted it when I got home! :?:

R8, it was not really such a poor turnout, but I was hoping to oogle over some interesting cars, of which there were few. Maybe they have all been exported overseas :evil:

Old and young Swanepoels took out a Noble for fun. I dunno whose car it was?

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sun 18 May 2008, 23:17

There is no ways on such a day I'd go to this which is supposed to be a day encouraging classics and pay then to be there actually supporting them showing off an old car. Even if it's a Nomad no ways.

It's just like a few years ago we got to the gate for a Piper weekend and were hit the same fee as non card holders. There was such a scene there and the matter was taken further and since we have been able to use our cards for the Piper weekend again.

It's not about the money but the principle of the matter.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:43

Agree with KR with the lack of classics going around the circuit and in the car park. I think (my personal opinion) is that alot of classic car owners pour huge amounts of time and resources into their cars and are afraid of damaging their pride and joy. One way to prevent this would probably be to limit the cars on the track to a certain age group (cars age that is)

But it was a fund raiser after all, and the club made a good profit at the end of the day. I did'nt have a problem with the gate entry fee as it was'nt a sanctioned WP event. Apparently some clubs had a problem with the entry fee and I feel they could have maybe been given given consession - they would have spent their money some other way at the event anyhow. Having the clubs would have also drawn more spectators in.

Poorly advertised - I agree. Maybe a car boot sale type thing would have gone down well too.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 06:39

The thing is what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If Historic's is Historic's as pure passion or Historics becoming about investment, money and all that. Time has arrived to seperate this as for some the last piece of sandpaper is bought from their salaries so to say while others are riding the wave today. I'll travel to Zwartkops and pay R 100 at the gate, in fact I have never had a freebee to a distant circuit. If Historic's is grow and be stable they need to acknowledge the fence standers too that have been the main pillar of support through the years. Which in fact seem to be more knowledged that some of the hierachy in Classics.

The more one thinks about these things the more one has to review one's stand regarding one's investment in time, resources and everything that goes with this sort of thing and consider capitalising on a dedication that is in fact priceless.

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Mon 19 May 2008, 07:13

The Noble (i presume the silver one) belongs to Hannes Swanepoel, he is (old) Koos
brother from Langebaan.
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

Social Media