Classic open day at Killarney

A place to give details for upcoming events and some nice pictures afterwards.
Killarney Racer

Re: Classic open day at Killarney

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 19 May 2008, 13:58

Firenza GT wrote: Maybe things will change sometime right now this whole classic scene is a business scam under the pretences of nostalgia. Not everyone but overwhelmingly so.
I don't know about the word "scam" but if money is involved various angles will always be introduced. Bottom line is that classics cost money. Classics are investments and everyone wants to protect their investment. But if you invest in classics that is your choice. If you invest time money and patience, well, that is your hobby. I don't believe anyone else should pay for that. Because where do you draw the line. If I have a pretty garden do I charge people to look at it?

I think it is customary to charge entrance to an organised event, and in my experience all these types of events are chargeable. Look at it as a form of entertainment.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 15:03

Scam maybe not the right word.

I decided rather to edit my last thought's out. My opinion does'nt always go down to well sometimes.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 19 May 2008, 15:51

Anyway, wannabee, a big welcome to the forum. Get yourself involved both here and at the track. Remember we are only people who express our opinions and not all of us can agree all the time. That's what makes it all so interesting.

Great to have you on board!

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 15:56

Hang on I thought I was the only one that decided on principle not to go. I just got a call now asking if I went to which I said no for my own reasons. Well, this friend, a person that races there decided for the very same reason they did'nt go. In that as a promotional thing for Classics it should have been free for the public as a taster. Yes charge for track time/use, charge for taxi. But the admission fee I feel was not "attracting" new people.

By the way, where does the CAR magazine sponsorship go ? Does it subsidise the heavy entry fee's for competitors each meeting ? R 500 is it to enter per weekend for those competing ?

Indy Oil subsidise the Clubmans guys with their entry fees.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 19 May 2008, 17:05

Yup, I heard that CAR sponsrship doesn't get down to the entrants. I was quite suprised, because who are they sponsoring then? Is it just a name attached to the event?

Firenza, even if people don't agree with every opinion, I believe one should be allowed to express it. Otherwise there will never be any debate.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 17:59

Now there's precisely my point, where is that bit money gone to ? That should be if anything to subsidise these heavy fees you guys got per meeting nesides the expensive fuel and all that. Never mind you time and effort.

That money certainly has not been used to advertise Classic's as you guys last meeting had absolutely ZERO advertising and the track outfield reflected that. The meeting that started at 09:00.

It was'nt just the one person that called me about yesterday, but he too was told by others incuding some there that yesterday's event did not enhance Calssic's it did not serve it's ultimate goal It achieved a short term goal of collecting money that will you can get anywhere. The enthiusiast is sometimes a lifetime investment.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 18:18

That black Mustang used to belong to Warren (Stealth GT) one of numerous Mustangs, Faimront GT's and other old Ford he has owned. Speaking of which the he just did some work on the Studebaker (gearbox adaptor).

You don't want to know what he is busy with now the thing will twist a Capri's body like a koeksuster monster power stuff.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 19 May 2008, 18:26

Jeepers guys, there are some serious allegations going on here!

Surely a sponsor like CAR would want to know what they are paying out for and where the money is going? In Fine Cars we have a meeting where our sponsor's money gets handed out to the drivers and the sponsor is present, being one of the drivers.

Surely this Classic car story needs to be looked into and a proper audit of the books be done if this is the case? 8O

Why haven't the drivers themselves been up in arms if this is the truth and how come oldies, like I said earlier, such as Peter Gough and Koos Swanepoel, who certainly know the ropes better than any driver there, not stood up and said enough is enough? Is there a pecking order in Classics, where some get and some don't?

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 19:05

As far as I know, could be wrong as I don't race, but that sponsorship goes elsewhere besides the drivers directly which I feel is wrong. Just check the price of a drum of fuel now, never mind tyres, never mind blow-ups and everything that goes with it. The drivers PAY hard just as we spectators pay to stand on the other side of the fence. I am sure that any bit of cash would be welcome by some Classic racers. But maybe the decision's are makde by those that can virtually buy the circuit, they don't need it.

Excessive amounts of money thrashed about in Classic's today is slowly but surely stripping it of it's glamour which was rich with nostalgia. You don't need such excess. I've proved it I have no money compared to most of those involved in Historics today yest seem to know a little more than quite a few. Just common sense stuff I mean.
Last edited by Firenza GT on Mon 19 May 2008, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Mon 19 May 2008, 19:09

Firenza GT wrote:That black Mustang used to belong to Warren (Stealth GT) one of numerous Mustangs, Faimront GT's and other old Ford he has owned. Speaking of which the he just did some work on the Studebaker (gearbox adaptor).

You don't want to know what he is busy with now the thing will twist a Capri's body like a koeksuster monster power stuff.
Thanks Lino that sure was one of my Mustang's that I sold like a fool anyway glad to see Oom Andre Moutons Stud is running smoothly now only finished that adaptor late Friday

warren

Social Media