FORD CORTINA XR6 XOCET

sarang

FORD CORTINA XR6 XOCET

Post by sarang » Fri 27 Jun 2008, 08:56

Hello People,

i have just joined the forum. hoping to contribute as much as i can and get as much info as possible from the learned members here. i have been following the postings for a while now.

guys, i have a request for information regarding a vehicle i ahve heard so much about but never seen in the metal or in photos for that matter, this is the FORD CORTINA XR6 XOCET . can anybody post details and pics of this car as well as comprehensive details like how to identify one and what colours and engine interior specs these came out with. i believe that a road test was carried out by CAR mag on this vehicle, does anyone have a copy that they can post.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

the info i have been able to gather is that a ford dealer in the eastern cape was the only dealer that offered the XOCET package. it is my understanding that they were the same as the xr6 maybe the interceptor but had an off white section under the door side mouldings etc where the xR6 has black. the obvious difference was the carb with the XOCET having a holley as opposed to the thripple webbers on the interceptor.

does anybody have one, does anybody know one for sale, does anybody know anything or have any pics or info??? on this car.

i am currently taking the advice of some of the senior members and attempting to get into the classic market to keep our SA cars in SA, i want to start with an original xr6 preferrably collecting an interceptor, a TF and ultimately the XOCET. these are some of the vehicles i would like to have in my garage.

if anybody knows of any of these cars in original showroom condition that may be available i would appreciate the info.

thanking you kindly

uvesh

uveshg@atns.co.za

Gavin RS

Re: FORD CORTINA XR6 XOCET

Post by Gavin RS » Fri 27 Jun 2008, 15:29

Hi Uvesh

Chatted to you this morning.

Very rare cars.Have not seen one for years.

I will try find some info but as I said, CAR magazine did a test on one, try contact them to see if they still have archives on the older cars.

Cheers

Gavin
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

LRW

Post by LRW » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 12:58

i have a copy of the xocet car test at home......i'll scan it when i'm at work tomorrow then post it

was virtually identical to the standard XR6 (except for some striping differences along the side).....had the holley on of course...and a "special" intake manifold to match, came with a different cam as well (according to the road test).

I had the carb and original intake many moons ago... sold it cause it was just gathering dust in the garage.

sarang

Post by sarang » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:01

thanks LRW, that would be great, i am in the process of obtaining more info as well, would be nice to know the specs of the holley, was it the 319 or the 450.

LRW

Post by LRW » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:09

i suspect the holley i had was a 450.....never actually bothered to check......i dont recall that the road test said what holley it was....evryone seems to agree that the 450 was too big though

the road test does however state that its performance was on par with an interceptor (interceptor was never tested though)......i beg to differ....i've been in a holley equipped car (my buddy bought the system from me).......and i've been in an interceptor (my own.......i own car number 106)...there is no way the xocet comes close to a interceptor

sarang

Post by sarang » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:14

LRW. just to confirm are u saying that your buddy has an xocet?

LRW

Post by LRW » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:22

nope....he has a standard XR6 with xocet parts ......i had originally bought the intake manifold/carb/cam and tappet covers through my cousin ..he knew a guy that was breaking a smashed xocet....so i kept the parts before selling them to my buddy.

Now that i think about it.......that xocet intake manifold (for the holley)....u might be able to tell it from a "madeup"/aftermarket one.......the original had the carb mounting area slanted....the engine normally slants slightly to the back.....this manifold had the mounting slanted to the front.....so the carb then sits level......if you have the manifold onl a level surface then the slant is rather pronounced

sarang

Post by sarang » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:33

LRW, thanks i am trying to get as much info on the xocet in order to be able to identify one if i come across it. i want to definitely own one of these especially since they seem to be so rare. my ideal garage would be an xocet, an interceptor and a TF. all original of course. if you know anybody who may have any of these for sale please let me know. thanks

LRW

Post by LRW » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:37

i knew where there was a good condition TF for sale about a month ago ...was going for R8500 (in bredasdorp).....dont know if its still for sale.

another buddy wanted to buy it.....but then got caught up with a new project.

i have a friend who stays out that way (he told us about it)....can try and find out if its still there

sarang

Post by sarang » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 13:41

great let me know. also if you can think of anything else that identifies an xocet. i understand that they came out with white where the interceptor has black around the bottom.

Social Media