1965 Opel Kadett Racer

GRUNTY

Re: 1965 Opel Kadett Racer

Post by GRUNTY » Sat 02 Jul 2011, 23:03

Hi Z A Perana. According to Ray Emond who was still in PMB when I had bought the Can Am, it was the red guest race car that seemed to be driven by invitation. The only pic that I have shows the car to be in much better condition than it actually was.

VMX

Post by VMX » Thu 07 Jul 2011, 13:21

Ray Emond raced all three Dealer Team cars at some point. What colour was the car when you bought it ?

sergio

Post by sergio » Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:23

Hi everyone, can anyone put me in touch with 993 Kadett ? Or anyone who can assist me with some help on a 63 kadett.

Thank you
1963 Opel Kadett

sergio

Post by sergio » Thu 06 Oct 2011, 16:07

VMX wrote:That's a serious piece of information good to see something like this kept alive. The problem here is I think there is a lack of depth we have such a diverse lot of cars that were sold and raced here it's beyond me why people stick to stuff that has become so boringly common. The V8's are one thing Ford and Chev but the real hero's were these little cars. A pal of mine has one of these 2 door Kadett's parked for must be 30 years.

Has he got extra spares like a windscreen maybe ?
1963 Opel Kadett

GRUNTY

Re:Can Am colour

Post by GRUNTY » Thu 20 Oct 2011, 23:24

Hi guys, with help and input from Sorensen it has been reliably established that my red Can Am was built into a race car by Des Ally and sold to my friend in Pmb to pay for another race car.I sadly sold the car really cheap as the body and front suspension was cracking .I can't find the buyer or any further trace of car or buyer.Cheers Grunty.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Fri 21 Oct 2011, 02:20

Hi guys - Can Ams:

The BvR's original Blue 1A car is the mystery car - no one really know where that went (unless Richard has uncovered some more history) but possible history based on vauge snippets:
Dealer team (BvR) -> Kempsters Chev Durban -> ??? -> Des Ally (meaning he owned both blue car and flag car at some stage) -> Jannie van Aswegen -> Sorensens.

Maroon (red) guest car -> various owners, many paint schemes, including blue and white like 1A (recorded, but too long to repeat here) -> restored by O'sullivan -> exported to UK (allegedly some shenanigans on the way out of ZA - some parts may have been swapped out) -> reworked in UK -> either scrapped in UK or possibly now in the US (depending on whose memories are accurate)

Flag car -> Key Chev Durban (Ray Emond) -> Eastern Cape (Hunts? Pittaway involvement?) -> Des (always in flag colours) -> Ivor -> drivetrain into Chevair -> body? Possibly Grunty's red car? Although I have heard talk of Des and/or Ivor building another flared car on a road CanAm - that may be Grunty's red car.

Sorry 993 - perhaps we should start another thread...

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 21 Oct 2011, 09:51

zahistorics wrote:Hi guys - Can Ams:

The BvR's original Blue 1A car is the mystery car - no one really know where that went (unless Richard has uncovered some more history) but possible history based on vauge snippets:
Dealer team (BvR) -> Kempsters Chev Durban -> ??? -> Des Ally (meaning he owned both blue car and flag car at some stage) -> Jannie van Aswegen -> Sorensens.

Maroon (red) guest car -> various owners, many paint schemes, including blue and white like 1A (recorded, but too long to repeat here) -> restored by O'sullivan -> exported to UK (allegedly some shenanigans on the way out of ZA - some parts may have been swapped out) -> reworked in UK -> either scrapped in UK or possibly now in the US (depending on whose memories are accurate)

Flag car -> Key Chev Durban (Ray Emond) -> Eastern Cape (Hunts? Pittaway involvement?) -> Des (always in flag colours) -> Ivor -> drivetrain into Chevair -> body? Possibly Grunty's red car? Although I have heard talk of Des and/or Ivor building another flared car on a road CanAm - that may be Grunty's red car.

Sorry 993 - perhaps we should start another thread...
As far as I know no works cars exist......are we now saying the Sorenson car is the BVR car, if so thats pretty significant.....however how does one verify such a find based on a shell. Personally and a lot wont like this, is it not perhaps time to build replica's of these cars, call them that, enjoy them and put on a spectacle.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media