ROVER V8 RACE CAR

Hi-Fi

Re: ROVER V8 RACE CAR

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 16:35

I'm a little confused. Perhaps it's an age thing! Everyone was talking about Paddy o`Sullivan on this thread but the car has the name of Mike o` Sullivan on the side.

Who is who? Here's a period picture of Mike o` Sullivan going through Clubhouse. The car looks the same to me.

Railway

Post by Railway » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 18:03

Paddy and Mike are brothers. You'll see further up I posted a pic of the same car at a Kyalami Wynns 1000 race which I took. The car was then red and yellow. I'll have to check the old race programme to make sure but I think there they shared the car for that race.

Both raced other stuff through the years Paddy very successfull later with the Tredia Turbo. Mike in the 90's when I used to hang around with Group N crowd had a very bad accident in the VR6 Golf which as a result I think they withdrew that car from Group N then. Quite a famous race heirtage family.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 21:24

Can anyone tell me who is driving the Volvo following Mike o` Sullivan?

OldSkool II

Post by OldSkool II » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:18

Gunter wrote: Yes.... the famous Deon de Waal and his Rover, its such a pity that as time goes by less and less people remember those glory days.
I actually still have a newspaper ad that reads something like this.....

CLUBMANS RACING THIS SATURDAY
"come see Deon de Waal vs Ray Brooks battle it out in there V8 Rovers"
then (in much much smaller script) "also National Wesbank V8 racing"

I have a big issue with promoters and race tracks that complain about low spectator numbers....20 years ago you HAD to be at Killarney by 9 am or you would not get a seat near the fence....the reason? to watch 1 guy doing an awesome show in a V8 Rover.

The world famous motorsport promoter Humpy Wheeler was asked what is his secret for ALWAYS having full stands...he said "its very easy - overpowered under tyred race cars"

deon de waal was here by me yesterday and i showed him this thread,it really made his day!
Driving a 10 sec Honda is like coming out the closet
At first your friends are in awe, but you still gay

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:23

So whats Deon up to there days? Tell him to join the Owen Ashley Super V8 series for over 45's. He was a real character!

OldSkool II

Post by OldSkool II » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:34

a really good oke, that guy has stories about racing!

his shop is closed, so he it seems he has retired from the motor trade

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:53

Heard he was doing some work or involved with the Franchoek Motor Museum workshop. I have some photo's of that Rover somewhere sideways at Killarney. But there again another character from Goodwood. Remember all those stunts was sort of the Evil Knievel of ZA those days. But he was also a main guy in oval stockies V8's in his Monaro.

Then he had another go later in a Audi pipe frame thingy with a Chev V8 in Supersaloons. There I have some photo's of when it was launched at Killarney in front of where Owen Ashley's workshop is posing for the camera's sponsored by Peco.

OldSkool II

Post by OldSkool II » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:00

he was kind enough to give me all his old posters of his stockies etc which i am having refurbished at a place in town
i will try and scan some in when they done so you guys can see them

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:24

I remember him ramping through a bus towing a caravan behind some stuffed old yank tank.

Railway

Post by Railway » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 11:38

I may even still have an old yellowed newspaper cutting of that. Was there when that happened and various other stunts he did. At times it seemd that the cars used were so tired that he had to miss the ramp go around again and make sure he had some speed to go through with it.

Social Media