Mike Moore Jag XJ6....

Killarney Racer

Re: Mike Moore Jag XJ6....

Post by Killarney Racer » Tue 11 Mar 2008, 15:19

Those pics were of the 1979 GP, my second year of National Service. I awolled from Youngsfield and drove with Hi-Fi in his Dodge Avenger non-stop at the 110kmh speed limit (or was it 90?) to JHB. You couldn't get petrol on Sundays then so we had to wait for Monday and drove non-stop back again. Did I get into kak on the Tuesday from my RSM and Major?? Those were the days!

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Tue 11 Mar 2008, 15:28

Who drove the Jag in the Manufacturers Challenge?

Railway

Post by Railway » Tue 11 Mar 2008, 15:44

Well seems like there are some "real" enthiusiasts still around. If that was 1979 then I'll have a look in my other box of tricks (race programmes) but don't remember seeing that Jag at Killarney. I have one programme from the three weekends I went to Kyalami in 1980 maybe the Jag is listed there.

The things we did those days because we seemed to be there more for the interest than this whole economics thing that has crept in everywhere these days. W did a trip that also took forever in a pals father's Datusn 620 Diesel bakkie. The fuel restriction thing was still going in the early 80's. Three of us went to the Wynns 1000 (Kyalami) maybe 83-84 with about 200 litres of diesel in cans up against the cab covered with blankets and cusions. We were stopped a a roadblock but they did'nt look properly as I pretended being in a deep sleep in the back. That would have got us locked up. Doubt if that bakkie could have managed a true 120 km/h topspped !

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Tue 11 Mar 2008, 23:06

I don't think the Jag was at Killarney. In fact I have only very vague memories of the Manufacturers Challenge at K. Yet the Kyalami race in 1979 is very vivid.

Dammit - who drove that Jag :(

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 00:46

Trust me, the fuel restrictions in the 80's were nothing compared to 1973. Motor racing was almost banned then.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 09:00

In 1973 the fuel price rocketed up and it cost me about R1.50 to fill the tank of my Honda 50cc. I could hardly afford to run the thing. Then my mother was kind and increased my pocket money to R5 per month. This meant I could by my smokes as well!

Anyway this is way off the topic of Jags and things but it is fun to reminisce! Maybe we need a Old Memories thread for those that live in the past.... :|

Railway

Post by Railway » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 10:16

Killarney Racer wrote: In 1973 the fuel price rocketed up and it cost me about R1.50 to fill the tank of my Honda 50cc. I could hardly afford to run the thing. Then my mother was kind and increased my pocket money to R5 per month. This meant I could by my smokes as well!

Anyway this is way off the topic of Jags and things but it is fun to reminisce! Maybe we need a Old Memories thread for those that live in the past.... :|

Cost me R 1 for my little TS50 5 litre tank. 20 cents a litre 1976 so I guess your tank was bigger. If I must tell you how we used to hate those 4 stroke Honda's then later they brought the SS50 out. Buggers used to put a 70 kit in the thing and wait for us after school. If an SS50 Honda used to hop about a foot as it changed into second then you knew something was wrong !

I guess it's slightly off the topic but lets remember that these little crettin-mopeds took us to the see the legends and many of us started there. And sadly so that today things have changed so much that youngsters don;t go though this "aprenticeship" anymore.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 10:33

The modern day "apprenticeship" starts on motor bikes with 400's that can do over 200kph, or in cars like Opels or Honda's costing Mum and Dad 30 to 40K with all sorts of body kits and lousy exhausts. When anything packs up, they tell Dad to sort it out, and when they run out of petrol they jump on Mum for not giving enough bucks to run the car.

Jeez I'm old fashioned :oops:

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 13:07

I remember my old Honda C110. This thing had stripped bolts in the head. We used pieces of tin to allow s to cut a thread so we could tighten the head down. This Honda flew. It had a high compression piston in it and it dropped Suzies and Yammies, no problem. The only thing was that the main stand kept on bending so I eventually used to lean it on walls and trees like a bicycle.

In fact they had a race at Killarney for all the okes in Cape Town in the early 60's and a lot of guys came in from Pinelands and surrounds with their bonies to take each other on. I was very young then but remember the fun this caused.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 16:56

What year would this have been, Railway and the one from Zwartkops?

Social Media