Scamp Porter X128 Renault Gordini

Hi-Fi

Re: Scamp Porter X128 Renault Gordini

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 18:28

On the subject of people not wanting to part with old cars, I have just been to see a middle aged guy in one of Cape Town's suburbs about a lovely red Ford Prefect. I just said to him that I often drive past and admired this old car. My real reason is to restore the thing and race it. He showed me the engine which is in a sorry state, although he can drive it. The engine is the original 998cc. He hasn't opened it up and says it uses quite a bit of oil.

He will not part with it. It's a 1957 4 door Prefect which he inherited and one of these years his adult son will complete the restoration. This is another car that sits outside in the Cape weather, rusting away. I wonder if the old chap who has the Briggs Anglia didn't inherit it from someone. Maybe if it's an inheritance people won't easily part with old cars, because it becomes an emotional issue.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 18:32

The sapphire gt I bought was supposed to be restored by the guys son - but of course he didnt have any interest. And I know of another to be restored by someones son and is rusting away. I think its very tough if your son doesnt share your passion for your car - and also tough for the son as he must be feeling that he is letting his dad down. It can also be a money issue - even though you dont have the money you can always keep on dreaming about the restoration you are gonna give the car.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 20:40

Hi-Fi wrote: .... By the way, that beautiful Perana wasn't part of the collection, was it? :D

Hi-Fi that's my Perana Replica - our transport that day when Lino and I stopped there on our way Franschhoek last year. Also not for sale - but at least it is getting restored slowly, and driven fast. Restoration work this year was a bit hard to do while I was driving 5000km across ZA at the same time!

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 23:27

Well, even though it's a small part of the car, it looks great. Have you guys been to the Franschoek car museum yet?

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 23:32

I agree Fairmont, but it is a huge pity to have cars like that sitting outside vrotting. Surely there must be some way of protecting them, even if they are covered properly to help keep out the elements. As we have seen in the downloads, there's gold out there. Such a waste

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Tue 18 Mar 2008, 00:29

Yes, Lino and I went about a week after it opened.

Excellent. Essential visit if you are in the Cape.

I was going to post a link to the threads we posted here and on ZAhistorics forum, but Linos picture's have gone missing - Lino what happened?

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:48

Here are a few...................

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 22 Mar 2008, 13:25

Some pics of the R8 Race car...
Attachments
R8 2.jpg
R8.jpg
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ren8gor

Post by ren8gor » Wed 07 May 2008, 21:40

I am new to this forum, having discovered it by doing an internet search for R8 Gordini race cars. I have a love for rear engine renaults and currently own an R8 gordini. Unfortunately it lost its original engine and gearbox prior to me aquiring it and now has the obligatory 16 ts power. It is currently been restored/repaired for use in fine cars. I would ultimately like to get it into historics though. Can anyone recall any 16ts powered R8's racing pre 77? I think it would be really nice to build a replica of one of the more obscure cars to the standard it was in its heyday.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 07 May 2008, 21:54

Welcome to the forum ren8gor. You are talking our kind of language with you wanting to race in Fine Cars and the restoration of a lovely classic that the Gordini R8 is.

There are a couple of us who participate in Fine Cars.

I am certain somone here will be able to help you with how, when and where the Gordini was powered. I in turn will scratch around and see what I can find.

Social Media