Volvos in this country

Hi-Fi

Volvos in this country

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 17:32

It had to happen sooner or later! We've been discussing some much good stuff on the site.

What about Dave Clapham in the Lawsons Volvo vs Steve Botes in the Droomers Volvo? Does anyone remember them?

Railway

Re: Volvos in this country

Post by Railway » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 18:31

My friend has a 142S Volvo for sale which is the same like Clapham and them raced a 2 door 144. It's been for sale for a while and nobody seems to be aware of how those cars featured back then in circuit and race. Car is complete, would be some work but a perfect base to create a Lawsons replica even for Fine Cars and still have it road legal as it is not a stripped shell.

That other one on the Manufacturers Challenge who was it by the way ? Save us plenty time digging. We give up. That was a 164 if I remember correctly or at least based on a 164.

If we talk Volvo's then I must get ol "Swede" to watch this thread. I reckon there are few cars that can live up to his Amazon that in Winter is blanketed in ice and can still cruise after you clear the ice and shovel a path for it to drive through.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 22:38

The Volvo go back to the banana back's, I think they were called Amazons, can't get the number right now.

Somewhere I am hearing the name Kruger as the driver of the 164. Seemed to only race at Kyalami but I didn't think in the Manufacturers Challenge but rather in the Star Modifides?

moby302

Post by moby302 » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 19:54

On page 7 of the 9 Hour Endurance Race Kyalami which I have just added to the racing pages there is a photo of a Volvo 122S, I think its the one of Arnold Chatz and Spencer Schultze.
http://www.moby302.co.za/racing/9_hr_en ... 12-68.html
Moby's Site - Car Related Information, Photos
S A Transport Site - Photos of Various Modes of Transport in South Africa

I am a legend in my own mind, if you want sun, give me a shout and I will stand up, I look in the mirror and see perfection!

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Tue 25 Mar 2008, 15:53

Classic Volvo.............
Arnold Chatz and Spencer Schultz Volvo Kyalami 9hr 1968.jpg
These cars have amazing results in the Springbok Series over the years, very reliable, honest competitors.

Railway

Post by Railway » Tue 25 Mar 2008, 16:01

Killarney Racer wrote: The Volvo go back to the banana back's, I think they were called Amazons, can't get the number right now.

Somewhere I am hearing the name Kruger as the driver of the 164. Seemed to only race at Kyalami but I didn't think in the Manufacturers Challenge but rather in the Star Modifides?

Fannie Els raced that 164 in the Star Production series.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 25 Mar 2008, 22:24

Of course, Piet Van Niekerk took over driving the Droomer Volvo and did quite well in this 144S, taken at the Parow Motor Show......

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 25 Mar 2008, 22:27

Killarney Racer wrote: The Volvo go back to the banana back's, I think they were called Amazons, can't get the number right now.

Hey Railway

The name Kruger doesn't ring a bell with me at all. I'm sure it was quite a well known guy who drove that 164. In fact I am sure the 164 won a fairly big race at Killarney, but I just can't remember when.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 25 Mar 2008, 22:33

Those banana back Volvos were known as P544's. The Amoazon was the original B18.

Kruger doesn't ring a bell. There's got to be something in programs or historic books.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Tue 25 Mar 2008, 22:44

No Kruger does'nt sound right. Fanie Els is definitely the name I remember in the 164. There's another car somebody could have built a replica of. there are so many classics that could be recreated.

Social Media