SA Production Car Racing Homologation Specials

IndianaJones

Re: SA Production Car Racing Homologation Specials

Post by IndianaJones » Thu 18 Jun 2015, 21:31

For those interested and able to view, a mr Grant Georgopoulos recently posted quite a few brilliant photos of Group One Mazda Capella's on the Facebook group page "KILLARNEY - 50 YEARS ON"

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 12:17

Had to share this...

Genuine Fiat 131 Racing racing in Fine Cars at Killarney yesterday, not my photos, mr Kent's, hope he doesn't mind.
Attachments
Fiat131Racing_1.jpg
Fiat131Racing_1.jpg (73.72 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
Fiat131Racing_2.jpg
Fiat131Racing_2.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 6427 times

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 13:53

IndianaJones wrote:Had to share this...

Genuine Fiat 131 Racing racing in Fine Cars at Killarney yesterday, not my photos, mr Kent's, hope he doesn't mind.
Awesome...only one I've seen being tracked!

Thanks for posting
Attachments
thumbs-up-Smiley-Face.png
thumbs-up-Smiley-Face.png (49.35 KiB) Viewed 6421 times
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Mon 31 Aug 2015, 13:42

Those who have been following the development of the collage in my signature may be pleased to note that, after doing a fair amount of research and digging, I have added the Mazda Capella RS to the group of track homologation specials. :mrgreen:

I have established that, despite the "standard" Capella Rotary being such a prolific contender over so many years in Group 1 racing in the late '70s and early '80s, Mazda did feel the need to release this "tweaked" version when the competition hotted up.

It is still unclear as to whether the normal minimum number "homologation" regulations were enforced upon Madza with this car but there is no doubt as to the purpose of the "revisions" made to create the "RS" and I have decided to include it in the collage, to represent such a strong force that the Capella Rotary represented in production car track racing in their heyday..
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

Johann Grobler

Post by Johann Grobler » Mon 31 Aug 2015, 15:07

Can-Am ZN wrote:Those who have been following the development of the collage in my signature may be pleased to note that, after doing a fair amount of research and digging, I have added the Mazda Capella RS to the group of track homologation specials. :mrgreen:

I have established that, despite the "standard" Capella Rotary being such a prolific contender over so many years in Group 1 racing in the late '70s and early '80s, Mazda did feel the need to release this "tweaked" version when the competition hotted up.

It is still unclear as to whether the normal minimum number "homologation" regulations were enforced upon Madza with this car but there is no doubt as to the purpose of the "revisions" made to create the "RS" and I have decided to include it in the collage, to represent such a strong force that the Capella Rotary represented in production car track racing in their heyday..
There is a "Shadowline" here in Rothdene. Owner very proud!! ;)

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:10

Can-Am ZN wrote:Those who have been following the development of the collage in my signature may be pleased to note that, after doing a fair amount of research and digging, I have added the Mazda Capella RS to the group of track homologation specials.
Great, I wonder if there are any more models to share the distinction...

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 15:54

Hi Gavin

I think if you aren't already busy, you should seriously consider the Renault 8 & 10 Alconi's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_M ... _10_Alconi
http://alconi.blogspot.co.za/

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 20:39

Hmmm, interesting...thanks Indy, no I haven't considered the Alconi but I will take a look :D

I had some tea with the great man Conchie a year or so before he passed, at his home in Hillcrest not that long ago..
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 17:30

Can-Am ZN wrote:Hmmm, interesting...thanks Indy, no I haven't considered the Alconi but I will take a look :D

I had some tea with the great man Conchie a year or so before he passed, at his home in Hillcrest not that long ago..
Alconi were to Renault like Meissner was to Ford, both had official factory backing and both could be bought out of dealers.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 18:28

ZA Perana wrote:Alconi were to Renault like Meissner was to Ford, both had official factory backing and both could be bought out of dealers.
Yes, the Alconi conversion kits were sold like the Meissner kits.

But there were also complete Renault Africa production models sold, off the showroom floor, which were built in batches of 50, painted in a particular shade of blue, and differed from the Gordini blue, with complete recognition from Renault France. Read the Car Magazine R10 Alconi road test.

How is that different from a Basil Green Perana, and it’s considered a homologation special?

Social Media