Whereabouts of......

nick sheward

Re: Whereabouts of......

Post by nick sheward » Fri 22 Feb 2008, 11:46

I can shed some light on the BVR Mustang. Fred Cowell sold the car to Ralph de Lange. He owned it for a number of years and restored it . It was purchased from his widow by two gents I know: Brian Evans and Mike Ward who raced it in Historics. It was then sold to John Amm in CT who also raced it. John then sold it to DVB.
At some time the body was replaced. It now has a 1966 shell. I believe Ralph re-shelled the car during restoration. In 1998 I rebuilt the Gurney Westlake motor after it threw a rod at Midvaal.
If you are interested here is what I did: The block was repaired with sleaves but was unusable as it leaked from the deck after torquing the heads. That was discovered after putting the motor and all the bits in the car of course ! I replaced the original 4 bolt with an early 1970 thick casting block. The heads were also very porous/marginal and had to be welded several times to get them to hold water. I remember using one capscrew on the heads as a stud/nut in that position had no space for a socket due to the welding! I de-stroked the motor from 302. I used a HP289 crank from a GT40 motor, Boss 302 rods and forged 289/302 pistons, flycut for the heads. Intake was Gurney Weslake four barrel with a 650 double pumper. Nice little revver!
Cheers! :)

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 22 Feb 2008, 20:36

nick sheward wrote: I can shed some light on the BVR Mustang. Fred Cowell sold the car to Ralph de Lange. He owned it for a number of years and restored it . It was purchased from his widow by two gents I know: Brian Evans and Mike Ward who raced it in Historics. It was then sold to John Amm in CT who also raced it. John then sold it to DVB.
At some time the body was replaced. It now has a 1966 shell. I believe Ralph re-shelled the car during restoration. In 1998 I rebuilt the Gurney Westlake motor after it threw a rod at Midvaal.
If you are interested here is what I did: The block was repaired with sleaves but was unusable as it leaked from the deck after torquing the heads. That was discovered after putting the motor and all the bits in the car of course ! I replaced the original 4 bolt with an early 1970 thick casting block. The heads were also very porous/marginal and had to be welded several times to get them to hold water. I remember using one capscrew on the heads as a stud/nut in that position had no space for a socket due to the welding! I de-stroked the motor from 302. I used a HP289 crank from a GT40 motor, Boss 302 rods and forged 289/302 pistons, flycut for the heads. Intake was Gurney Weslake four barrel with a 650 double pumper. Nice little revver!
Cheers! :)

Great to hear the full story sarrounding the car, one wonders why it was reshelled the first time but then again being a racing car it probably received more than a few knocks in its time. I remember the car well when DVR had it before the accident a guy we know well did the suspension and roll cage, and that motor....sounded superb. Thought for me the A2 Perana sounded just that little bit better....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Railway

Post by Railway » Sun 24 Feb 2008, 23:13

Must have been mid 90's at an East London Border 100 memorial weekend, actually when Classic Car Africa magazine was launched. Somehow I remember Brian Evan's having the Mustang round about that time. If memory serves he raced it there that weekend.

ernestw

Post by ernestw » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 04:42

Hi-Fi wrote:All said and done, has anyone got any info on Peter Bolton's cars?
I am not sure if anyone will read this as this is a very old topic but I have Peter Bolton's contact details in Australia. I spoke to hime a while ago and he was suffering with Parkinsons Disease but I will call again and see how things are and see what we can find out about his old cars and maybe get some pictures

gordini

Post by gordini » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 16:43

I wonder how i missed this thread totally :idea: :idea: :idea: Anybody know anything about Clive van Buuren :?: :?:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 20 Dec 2013, 21:55

Sad about Peter Bolton. I have quite few pictures of the various cars he built and raced.

As for Clive van Buuren - once he finished racing I never heard about him again.

gordini

Post by gordini » Sat 21 Dec 2013, 11:20

Killarney Racer wrote:Sad about Peter Bolton. I have quite few pictures of the various cars he built and raced.

As for Clive van Buuren - once he finished racing I never heard about him again.
Jip, i Googled his name but only the old stuff comes up, mainly Rhodesian stuff :? :? :?
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

ernestpw

Post by ernestpw » Wed 15 Jul 2015, 23:32

Hi not sure how many o you are still coming in here but Peter Bolton passed away last year I have made contact with his wife and I will see if she can help us with any pictures if any of his cars Ernest

Social Media