Whereabouts of......

ZA Perana

Whereabouts of......

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:02

Scamp Porter R8 Gordini, Hennie Mostert road going 2 times winner of Paarl Hill Climb Gordini(have a few leads on this I think), Basil van Rooyen Lucky Strike Mustang.

But most of all two cars not many people will remember...the Libero Pardini racing Valiant and the Superformance Zodiac....

Just a bit of a ramble, it really amazes me that someone would race a Valiant, being the large car that it is...but hell it seemed to go, having a top speed of around 130 mph which isnt too shabby, honestly if I had to go historic racing I would probably choose one of these for the sheer laugh factor....or one of these....

1968 Zodiac, Superformance developed one of these to also really go, it wasnt a huge success but it was arguably the first tuned V6 race car in SA.....again an absurd propostion as a race car but would be amusing none the less.

Back to lost race cars....I would find it hard to beleive that all historic races died a death and are not with us today, I strongly beleive that many of these cars are still around doing nothing lying on farms in various parts of SA....or in Zim.

Am following up the Hennie Mostert Gordini I beleive it is currently for sale and the owner does not realized what he has, I have seen pictures and it seems to closely correspond to those....am in communication with the owner because in a small way this car could be historically significant....might even go see the car at some stage, though I cant afford the asking price of R20k.....(student and all).
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Re: Whereabouts of......

Post by FairmontGT » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:10

Sell a kidney ZA Perana. A chance like that doesnt come past very often. I am starting to like the small SA cars more and more, like the 1960s cortinas and the gordinis (didnt think I would ever learn to appreciate them). I think they are often wrongly overlooked in favour of the cars with big V8s.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:24

FairmontGT wrote: Sell a kidney ZA Perana. A chance like that doesnt come past very often. I am starting to like the small SA cars more and more, like the 1960s cortinas and the gordinis (didnt think I would ever learn to appreciate them). I think they are often wrongly overlooked in favour of the cars with big V8s.

Well am being realistic, there really isnt any more space here for cars so if it is indeed that car would prefer it went to a good home.....guy wont sell it to anyone thats going to strip it for racing...Car does need resto but seems very complete....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:27

The big space problem! Something I think everybody on this forum is faced with. I need to get to know a someone here in Poctch with a big barn on a smallholding.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:32

FairmontGT wrote: The big space problem! Something I think everybody on this forum is faced with. I need to get to know a someone here in Poctch with a big barn on a smallholding.

Link to the pictures the car is actually advertised on this forum.....
http://www.cartoday.com/cgi-bin/ultimat ... 1;t=002189
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:34

Is that the 2 x Gordini's for 40K advertised a while ago ? I saw that and exactly so, a car like that even a normal road Gordini is very special. If that is the same car then we saw that thing lift it's front wheels at the old drag's down the back straight here at Killarney. never forget that as I remember the name Hennie Mostert from then. And onother interesting competitor whom I came to know later years is Elize Swannepoel. She took on the men there with a Fairmont GT prepared by her husband legend Koos Swannepoel. Was a White 4V GT.

I just don't have anymore space !

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:44

Firenza GT wrote: Is that the 2 x Gordini's for 40K advertised a while ago ? I saw that and exactly so, a car like that even a normal road Gordini is very special. If that is the same car then we saw that thing lift it's front wheels at the old drag's down the back straight here at Killarney. never forget that as I remember the name Hennie Mostert from then. And onother interesting competitor whom I came to know later years is Elize Swannepoel. She took on the men there with a Fairmont GT prepared by her husband legend Koos Swannepoel. Was a White 4V GT.

I just don't have anymore space !

Seems there is only one car for sale though which one it might be I dont know...am convinced the one with the white stripe down the side is the Moster car, or I may have seen that car in Paarl the other day.....Might go and have a look at them for curiousity though.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:46

Best you take a camera with because you may just never see a piece of history again. You know ehere we chop cars up for stockcars and things.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 19:52

Firenza GT wrote: Best you take a camera with because you may just never see a piece of history again. You know ehere we chop cars up for stockcars and things.

He has made it clear he wont sell it to either circuit racer of stock car driver....methinks thats why he hasnt sold it yet.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sun 14 Oct 2007, 20:09

I hope somebody on the forum buys it if it is the real one. Would be nice to follow its restoration.

Social Media