Whereabouts of......

ZA Perana

Re: Whereabouts of......

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 21:22

Killarney Racer wrote: At the risk of creating havoc considering all the hype about the Corin / Lindenberg CanAm!!

Does anyone KNOW for a FACT that Lindenberg's ex Olthoff Capri Perana is the genuine real deal? I am not looking for any lawsuits here but just want the truth. I have often looked at that car and have just wondered. By that I don't mean that it is not the Olthoff car.

Just wondering............

Apparently that is the original car and there are are documents to prove it but yes I also wondered at some stage but there is enough evidence to say it is the genuine car, it was found in Nambia and subsequently restored.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 21:36

Never mind I was going to say something but rather not in case my basic english gets pulled apart and I end up in my socks. I'd imagine it is the real shell at the least be it the roof as one wonders how damaged it could have become as an Oval track racer which I think it was before brought back to ZA. It was initially very well restored. This is a pic after it was sold you can see Gunston was gone and other corporate signage plastered on it.

But anyway there is another one in the pot, the "Animal" MSA will decide on that we're told even though it is fact that the "Animal" died on a farm outrside Paarl. The remains were collected by Willie Hepburn we believe. But the car in question is not that one but MSA will decide ..... !

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 21:49

Z181 is the real deal!

1. I have seen documentation confirming that it was in Nambia
2. Spoken to tue man who brought it back to ZA
3. Sat in and photgraphed the car extensively
4. Compared my photos to historical photos.

The car as raced today does not have the original wheels, and races with a spare engine. Peter has a real Gurney motor, but as I understand it this is not the same motor from 1970.

The shell, roll cage and suspension are the original

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 13 Jan 2008, 22:52

To that add:

Gearbox and back axle are also the originals as far as I know.

When the car came back from Namibia it had it's original wheels, but these were taken off and sold separately by one on the interim owners before the car was restored.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 14 Jan 2008, 02:15

In reply to comments about registers:

Registers may be useful for helping recognise the provenace of a car. I say 'may be useful', because as we have seen provenance can get 'interesting'. Personally I don't think registers should be run by authoratative bodies - that way is just too full of pitfalls.

Rather registers should be repositories of useful information. Here in the UK registers are usually maintained by enthusiasts in clubs. The are not authoratative (or 'the law') but are extremely useful pointers to finding out information about the history of the cars that they record.

Registers are absolutely completely hopeless at recording technical elegibility. All they can record is a single snapshot in time. .....Drive car to inspection with illegal parts. Stop round the corner change to legal parts. Inspect. Drive out. Stop and change back to illegal parts.... hell we used to do this when we were laaitjies taking our fifties for CoR.

Checking for technical elegibility is the responsibility of the scrutineers with proper pre- and post-race scrutineering at every race. Backed up by a fair and effective disciplinary and protest regime.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 08:58

Just a final thought on the originality of the Little Chev CanAm.Looking at many pictures of the original car compared to the Corin / Lindenberg car today I notice the rear wheel arches on the original were "flared" whereas on Corin's car they are rivetted / bolted on. The rivets are clear to see. For this reason alone I always has doubts about the car.

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 10:06

Killarney Racer wrote: Just a final thought on the originality of the Little Chev CanAm.Looking at many pictures of the original car compared to the Corin / Lindenberg car today I notice the rear wheel arches on the original were "flared" whereas on Corin's car they are rivetted / bolted on. The rivets are clear to see. For this reason alone I always has doubts about the car.

KR, just look again they should all have been rivited. Some old images it's difficult to see. The flares nearly fooled me till I compared them. The stance of the car is different when compared to the originals that you can see clearly. The job Dinky Brown did was good but he had no intention of fooling anyone or passing it off as an original. He made best of what was a tired ex-Club racer rolling chasis. There are detailed images of Dinky's work on the other thread in case you have'nt seen it.

The flares of the original's themselves have a different profile to the ones that are on this car. They are similar and an excellent job done by Dinky but not the same. I know as I have had access to them.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 17:51

Hey ZA Perana

Did you manage to find out anymore on Hennie Mostert? I am sure that when he first raced that Renault 8 it was silver. I was very young then.

You know, you talk about cars no longer with us. I have often wondered about a guy who didn't seem to have a big budget to race and built his own cars. This is Peter Bolton. His tiger GT's went from strength to strength, starting out with odd shaped silver bodies and painted rear lights and progressing to cut down silver and blue equally odd shaped cars, one powered by a big V8 and later, after further modification of the body, by a Renault Gordini motor. What has happened to those cars?

Peter Bolton had a big hand in the building of Adrian Pheiffer's APM Sports which was based on the Lotus 23B. Thankfully the APM has raised its head again after many years and raced last year at Killarney in the Piper meeting. This car was very successful in the WPMC championships.

I believe Peter Bolton emigrated to Australia, if he is indeed still with us.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 17:56

APM SPORTS.jpg

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 21:12

Don't think that I'nm a know all because I am not but I must comment on this car because you've just brought back my very earliest memory of Motorsport and the very first time I touched a race car.

This car and another at least one other was at the Old Mill Garage in Mowbray. My dad had a "Fruit Shop/Cafe on the opposite side of the main road about 200 meters away. As many Porra laaities we had to go help out there after school and all that but on Saturdays was when I liked going there most as I discovered this garage and used to go there when only the pump attendents were on duty. There was access to the workshop at the back and there I saw these cars. In later years when I got to know Chevron B19 type cars I always thought the cars I had seen as a child were Chevrons. Which at some stage there could have been a Chevron in and out there.

Only some years ago Malcom Uitenbogaard took me to Louis De Jager's place and there I saw this car in his garage awaiting restoration. It had I think an Audi motor in it. For me this was quite something to just touch this car again after so many years and probably the cause of the years that followed following motorspot.

As you may notice my interests are diverse with Classic Cars or Racing Classics. But I and others are getting fed up with the farce within Classics lately. There seems to be more politics in it than in Group N and in some cases bigger budgets running these old cars which are SPOILED by being made monster power silhouette cars. That's not what many of us want to see. Anyway best we leave it there because of the politics.

This car was my earliest experince with regards racing cars. The next was when my dad moved from Mowbray to a Cafe right next to William Hunts in Cape Town On their showroom window right outside our door was a poster of the "Little Chev" Rest is history !

This pic of the APM I took at the 2007 Piper Races weekend at Killarney.

Last edited by Firenza GT on Wed 16 Jan 2008, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media