Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

Mopar 440

Re: Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

Post by Mopar 440 » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 13:03

With the pinion angle drama sorted out, ran the car in the following Nationals. We decided to do foot brake launches as the transmission leaks when you activate the transbrake button.

The car was really consistent with low 11 sec times, but I really battled with red lights due to the car pushing over the line or very slow reaction times.

The headers started to look a bit tacky, so time for Powerkote. They applied two silver layers on the outer and one black to the inner.

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 18:20

Mopar 440 wrote: The headers started to look a bit tacky, so time for Powerkote. They applied two silver layers on the outer and one black to the inner.
Is there any benefit to having parts powercoated, besides for cosmetic purposes?

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Fri 26 Oct 2012, 08:40

Ranger1 wrote:
Mopar 440 wrote: The headers started to look a bit tacky, so time for Powerkote. They applied two silver layers on the outer and one black to the inner.
Is there any benefit to having parts powercoated, besides for cosmetic purposes?
Its primary goal is to retain heat in the manifold, reducing under hood temperatures by up to 50% and increasing exhaust gas velocity.By reducing the under -hood temperature the life and performance of the surrounding parts are increased.

http://www.powerkote.co.za/HowItWorks.html
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Wed 31 Oct 2012, 13:21

The only way to upgrade the powerglide transmission was to replace the case. We went for the JW ultra case to match our JW ultra bell. This case can handle up to 2500HP, so we will not break this one. With these comparison pic's, you can just see the strength in this unit.

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

BR67

Post by BR67 » Wed 31 Oct 2012, 15:02

Simon, was chatting to a friend of mine from Jhb and recalls that in the '80's?, one of his close mates had a white Challenger with a 440 and manual box that was written off when he jumped a red traffic light. I immediately thought it could have been your car??? Brandon

Bigblock496

Post by Bigblock496 » Wed 31 Oct 2012, 20:40

BR67 wrote:Simon, was chatting to a friend of mine from Jhb and recalls that in the '80's?, one of his close mates had a white Challenger with a 440 and manual box that was written off when he jumped a red traffic light. I immediately thought it could have been your car??? Brandon
Show your friend the photo's of the car on page one of this thread,maybe he will recognise the damage?
1969 Camaro Drag-Car:Best et:9.35@233kph.
1967 Camaro Pro-Touring:under construction.

gotpinto

Post by gotpinto » Thu 01 Nov 2012, 22:25

Hi,have you guys ever thought of going the turbo route,with a CSU or CarbShop modified blow through carb and hat setup to keep keep thing easy and simple....?Have seen both your cars(Camaro & the Challenger)drag and they're wicked ;) Keep up the good work :!: :!:

Bigblock496

Post by Bigblock496 » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 18:14

gotpinto wrote:Hi,have you guys ever thought of going the turbo route,with a CSU or CarbShop modified blow through carb and hat setup to keep keep thing easy and simple....?Have seen both your cars(Camaro & the Challenger)drag and they're wicked ;) Keep up the good work :!: :!:
We have thought of turbo's before,problem is the cars are set up for Nos,going turbo would need different gearing and a much smaller convertor to get the turbo too spool up!
The way some of the turbo cars are running currently at Tarlton,its mighty tempting.
We are playing with the idea of building a full tubeframe car,fiberglass body, and twin turbo's on a bigblock chevy,and taking on the big boys!
Problem is,you need money,and lots of money,but i think if we do everything ourselves we can get it done under half a million! 8O Time will tell! 8)
1969 Camaro Drag-Car:Best et:9.35@233kph.
1967 Camaro Pro-Touring:under construction.

gotpinto

Post by gotpinto » Sat 03 Nov 2012, 15:43

Pls go on & build that turbo car :D you can put that setup in the 7's for a yoke :lol: and still be VERY reliable if it's built right......I don't want to Hijack anybodys thread,but how far are you guys with those other muscle drag cars(those late 60's Camaro's & that blown LS Monaro :?: Maybe you can start a thread for those builds...
Thanks for all the info & for keeping us updated ;)

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Mon 05 Nov 2012, 15:23

BR67 wrote:Simon, was chatting to a friend of mine from Jhb and recalls that in the '80's?, one of his close mates had a white Challenger with a 440 and manual box that was written off when he jumped a red traffic light. I immediately thought it could have been your car??? Brandon
Hi Brandon,

I checked over the weekend on my car for any evidence that my car was originally fitted with a manual box, but no luck. There is bolt holes to the left inner frame-rail, but I don't know if they are generic to the manual and/or automatic Challengers. Also my brake pedal assembly is definitely for an automatic car (wide pedal) and there is no sign of a clutch pedal. The only other
way is that I might have gotten the pedals from the donor car? When I go to the plot again, will try and find out and will let you know.

Simon
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Social Media