Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

ters

Re: Dodge Challenger Drag-car build.

Post by ters » Mon 05 Nov 2012, 15:33

Mopar 440 wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:
Mopar 440 wrote: The headers started to look a bit tacky, so time for Powerkote. They applied two silver layers on the outer and one black to the inner.
Is there any benefit to having parts powercoated, besides for cosmetic purposes?
Its primary goal is to retain heat in the manifold, reducing under hood temperatures by up to 50% and increasing exhaust gas velocity.By reducing the under -hood temperature the life and performance of the surrounding parts are increased.

http://www.powerkote.co.za/HowItWorks.html
Simon, what is the significance of powercote on the inside, smoothness ?

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Mon 05 Nov 2012, 15:36

Bigblock496 wrote:
gotpinto wrote:Hi,have you guys ever thought of going the turbo route,with a CSU or CarbShop modified blow through carb and hat setup to keep keep thing easy and simple....?Have seen both your cars(Camaro & the Challenger)drag and they're wicked ;) Keep up the good work :!: :!:
We have thought of turbo's before,problem is the cars are set up for Nos,going turbo would need different gearing and a much smaller convertor to get the turbo too spool up!
The way some of the turbo cars are running currently at Tarlton,its mighty tempting.
We are playing with the idea of building a full tubeframe car,fiberglass body, and twin turbo's on a bigblock chevy,and taking on the big boys!
Problem is,you need money,and lots of money,but i think if we do everything ourselves we can get it done under half a million! 8O Time will tell! 8)

I think we need to go Pro-Charger :?: :idea: :mrgreen:
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Mon 05 Nov 2012, 15:39

ters wrote:
Mopar 440 wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:
Mopar 440 wrote: The headers started to look a bit tacky, so time for Powerkote. They applied two silver layers on the outer and one black to the inner.
Is there any benefit to having parts powercoated, besides for cosmetic purposes?
Its primary goal is to retain heat in the manifold, reducing under hood temperatures by up to 50% and increasing exhaust gas velocity.By reducing the under -hood temperature the life and performance of the surrounding parts are increased.

http://www.powerkote.co.za/HowItWorks.html
Simon, what is the significance of powercote on the inside, smoothness ?

Ters.
Correct, to get the exhaust gasses to move with less resistance through the pipe.
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Mon 05 Nov 2012, 16:24

gotpinto wrote:Pls go on & build that turbo car :D you can put that setup in the 7's for a yoke :lol: and still be VERY reliable if it's built right......I don't want to Hijack anybodys thread,but how far are you guys with those other muscle drag cars(those late 60's Camaro's & that blown LS Monaro :?: Maybe you can start a thread for those builds...
Thanks for all the info & for keeping us updated ;)
Ja, what can we say, the economic downturn is really hurting, so the boy toys get moved to the back burner, so progress is slow.

The Monaro just needs the wiring, windows and some cosmetic things to do, but the owner business is really struggling at the moment, so all is on hold.

The '68 Camaro was totally stripped and rebuilt, all ready to be assembled, but unfortunally also on hold. I suspect he wants to sell?

The '68 Firebird progressing slow, but all there and looking good. The problem with perfectionist is that everything takes forever.

The 4 door to 2 door conversion on the Nova also happening on dribs and drabs. The back half in and the roll cage completed.

Other project happening is my other brothers '71 Mustang (460-C6-9")

and his sons Foxy

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

gotpinto

Post by gotpinto » Mon 05 Nov 2012, 23:10

Thanks for the pics,great to see new drag cars being built in these tuff times....what's the supercharged motor in the background going into..?
Is that the same Mustang that used to race at Tarlton all these years..Boss Hoss :?:
;)

Bigblock496

Post by Bigblock496 » Tue 06 Nov 2012, 18:52

Jip,one and the same Boss Hoss. It was not easy to get uncle Mick to part with this car,but we pulled it off! 8)
Were busy redoing the car,gonna be yellow now,and I'm doing my magic on the 460 motor. Plan is to have it ready for next years racing season!
1969 Camaro Drag-Car:Best et:9.35@233kph.
1967 Camaro Pro-Touring:under construction.

Mopar 440

Post by Mopar 440 » Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:42

Bigblock496 wrote:Jip,one and the same Boss Hoss. It was not easy to get uncle Mick to part with this car,but we pulled it off! 8)
Were busy redoing the car,gonna be yellow now,and I'm doing my magic on the 460 motor. Plan is to have it ready for next years racing season!
Yellow enough???

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)

mantaray

Post by mantaray » Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:09

hey Mopar - the 68 camaro , is this the same car that was owned by Dennis Farge in the Cape, @ the time he wanted about 70K for it
round about 2004 - 05 , good price in my book, even then.
2003 GTI 4
2014 Jetta 6 TSI
1981 Chevair V8 350 ...in CPT with Jack
Rover hopefully twin turbo 305 soon
68 Valiant 200 - awaiting 318 V8 transplant
75 HQ Kommando - 350 V8

ROBBINATOR

Post by ROBBINATOR » Wed 07 Nov 2012, 15:41

Gotta luuuuuuuuv the amount of real estate in those engine bays :) ......awesome stuff guys!!! :)

Cheers...Robbie.
EXPERIENCE.....tells you that a Tomato is a fruit.
WISDOM....tells you that it does not go in a fruit salad.
GOOGLE....can help avoid your customer's car from burning out and then been summonsed to court.

Bigblock496

Post by Bigblock496 » Wed 07 Nov 2012, 22:01

Thanks Robbie.
Ray,yes its the same Camaro,and yes it was a bargain,problem was the car needed a lot of attention,and once we started stripping,more and more problems started popping up,so the car ended up being stripped completely! 8O
But the car is progressing rapidly and might also be back on the track next year,with the drive train of Dalmeins Nova installed in the interim,while the Nova gets a Makeover! 8)
Who remembers that Camaro when the wildbunch was still going whan Jack Maree raced it under the Topwheels banner,complete with blown,injected bigblock,awesome stuff! :twisted:
1969 Camaro Drag-Car:Best et:9.35@233kph.
1967 Camaro Pro-Touring:under construction.

Social Media