THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Hi-Fi

THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 16:35

Anyone who has interests like we have on this site I'm sure must have experienced the fun, sun and braais this series brought on. From my point of view it was exciting and tiring. We got to see stuff we deamt about, but to make it more exciting was the fact that our guys went up against the Internationals and often shared cars with them.

For me the most memorable race was the 1967 Cape Three Hour at Killarney, the next race after the famous 9 hours.

I've been digging around and came up with some photos my father took of the Le Mans-type start from tar to grass to tar and some I scrounged from old magazines. I just wish he had a telephoto lense! If you click on one of the pictures you will see Denis Joubert in his Dart already half way down the grid before anyone has moved. The next one shows Uncle Doug Serrurier in the Lola beating Paul Hawkins and Mike D'udy on their Lola Chevs away from the start. something he used to do quite often.

Has anyone got anything to share, experiences, pictures, etc.?
Last edited by Hi-Fi on Fri 02 May 2008, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Re: THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by FairmontGT » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 17:19

Wow I dont know this history at all - thanks for sharing!
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 17:47

Wow check the old double-dekker bus that was by the entrance to the pits !

Unreal moments in time ....

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 19:49

I bunked school to get these pictures on my old Kodak 100 Instamatic. Look at the way they got the cars to the track. Check out the tow vehicle. Imagine this going on today.

Has anyone got stories, information, pictures of the 9 hour or any of the other races around the country?

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 19:52

Thats so cool!
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 20:32

Same Ferrari, same team, same racetrack, 40 years later! That is really cool!
Attachments
piper_ferrari.jpg

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 21:47

Hi-Fi wrote: I bunked school to get these pictures on my old Kodak 100 Instamatic. Look at the way they got the cars to the track. Check out the tow vehicle. Imagine this going on today.

Present day Historics has lost the plot. They need to remind themselves how our forefathers operated so that they can relax abit and can these mega-horsepower hotrods. We understand there are new tow cars these days but the least they can do is try stay in tune with these old timers. The more one see's these old images the more one realises what legends these guys were. Including the crew and who ever tagged along in those old lorries tow-cars.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 23:24

Look in the background of the GT40 on the trailer. Western Province Chicken Braai in an old Library Bus! Do you rember the mobile libraries that used to drive into the neighbourhoods? The guys used everything at their disposal in those days. Look at the condition of the old Killarney pits. Can you imagine anyone nowadays being told that they must park their million dollar Ferrari on a dirt patch?

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 23:34

Remember those old mobile libriaries. I was'nt too hassled as my oldmans cafe used to sell comics, Caspir the Ghost,, Richie Rich, Little Lotta, Spooky what was the other naughty ghost. The Archies.

Killarney is beginning to get too built up. East London is still cool as is Scribante last time I was there. It is the norm to change with the times but in the process the true ambiance of Historics is only but a memory now for most of us.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 23:41

True, the pits at Killarney, control tower complex and clubhouse are fine, but all the bomas and crap they have allowed to be built around the track, as at Kyalami too, is nonsense. Sure it must bring in revenue, but at the expense of the paying public. At Kyalami you can hardly follow a car on the track because it disappears behind some empty building.

In the days when those pictures were taken we had to crawl through bushes on the otherside of Killarney. This was cool as kids because those areas were off limits and you got intoheavy trouble if you were caught, but the view you got of the cars coming through, was amazing.

Social Media