Engineering rant

Donovan Smith

Engineering rant

Post by Donovan Smith » Wed 01 Apr 2015, 21:50

a Few moths ago I posted a request for a good motor engineering shop. I got a name from one of the members on the forum. (not his fault as he got good service from them when he used them) I went to see them and the first question that I asked was if they sand blast or chemical clean the parts. I was assured that they chemical dip to clean.
I left all the parts with them to be collected the next Tuesday. Needless to say that it was not ready. I was called to say they need the main bearing bolts to do the line boring. I dropped them off and waited another week. When I collected, the engine was sand blasted. I complained but it was done.

I work in West Africa and time is a big problem for me. The week late made that I could only look at the parts two months later. On my next RR I could not get to the assembly and it stood over for another three months.

Now in March I pulled all the covers off and I was disgusted at what they have done.

The line boring was out by .5mm. I then sent the block to another engineering shop to have it fixed. The new guys called me to come and have a look at some problems. The new cam bushes has been peened over when they installed them, it was not only the white metal coating that was damaged but the metal part as well.

When they pushed the cam bearings out all the oil ports was blocked with sand. They did not even bother to clean some of the sand out before pushing in the new cam bearings.

I took the block to a friend that repairs auto gearboxes to put in his high pressure parts washer. After that I used 4 liters of clean green and some rifle cleaning rods and brushes to clean out all the oil ports. I also had to get the metal filings out after grinding the crank clearances for the stroker crank. I used a magnet to catch most

With all the parts very clean I started examining the rest of the parts and found the small end that they had too machine was so bad that I had to have them redone and new bushes fitted.

The assembly took nearly a month with the back and forth to the engineering.

The engine is finished and I will fit it on my next rotation.

This was a very disappointing experience with the engineering company. I never bothered to contact them to complain as I want nothing to do with them.

marnus

Re: Engineering rant

Post by marnus » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 11:20

And I bet they charge an arm and a leg for work done so poorly. 8O
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

Doug Hirkham

Post by Doug Hirkham » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 13:33

This problem has been ongoing since I joined the forum. We have to 'name and shame' to safeguard any other forum members that may have otherwise used these guys. We just have to.

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 14:17

Doug Hirkham wrote:This problem has been ongoing since I joined the forum. We have to 'name and shame' to safeguard any other forum members that may have otherwise used these guys. We just have to.
Would like to know who and where as you live close to my area!! :mrgreen: Only engineering I would recommend is Henter's in Vereeniging 8O
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 18:04

First V8

Post by First V8 » Fri 03 Apr 2015, 08:47

So which one is it Donovan ?
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

Donovan Smith

Post by Donovan Smith » Fri 03 Apr 2015, 08:54

First V8 wrote:So which one is it Donovan ?
The one in Wynberg

Social Media