64 Dodge Polara - SA Version

garryw

64 Dodge Polara - SA Version

Post by garryw » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 19:35

Hi there, apologies in advance for the newbie question.

Can anybody help me with a little bit of history behind the 1964 Dodge Polara in South Africa? I have noticed that it has the same dash as the Australian Dodge Phoenix of the same year, whereas the USA Polara has a completely different dash. Also, the SA Polara has two tail lights on each side like the Phoenix whereas the USA Polara has three on either side.

Is the SA Polara just the Phoenix renamed for the SA market, or does it share any other similarities to the USA version?

IndianaJones

Re: 64 Dodge Polara - SA Version

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 22:30

Some other Moparites might know better, but my guess would be that the SA 62-64 Polara, was assembled locally from CKD kits from Canada, and probably made use of a RHD Plymouth interior, just like the Dodge Phoenix's were in Australia.

ters

Post by ters » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 05:50

Welcome Garry!Pics of your Polara please?!

Chrysler SA raided the international parts bins for our local market.... my '67 Monaco has a '66 dash from the Elsies River plant. The Monaco was brought out in 1965 as a model of the Polara, in 1966 it would become its own marque, albeit on the same basic body.

I am not to familiar with the Polaras pre '65... I will see if I can get Mopar Britannica (Fanie) to give more insight.

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

garryw

Post by garryw » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 13:45

Thanks guys - IndianaJones you may be very right - it looks like mine has a very similar instrument cluster to the '62 Plymouth Valiant.

Ters - thanks for the info. I only purchased it this past weekend as a non-runner and very keen to get it going. I will post some pics here as soon as I get it down to Durban.

Social Media