Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
1250bandit

cj5 with v8

Post by 1250bandit » Mon 10 Feb 2014, 21:38

As stated in my intro I recently got a cj5 Jeep. It is fitted with a Chev 305 with Rochester 4 barrel carb attahed to a T handle auto box. Not sure about the diffs yet. I know the 305 is not the best, but for now will have to do untill something better becomes available........ Unfortunately it does not run so well. Starts nicely, idles perfect, going slow is ok then......... It splutters and starves. I drove the jeep home for 130 kms had to do it in two stages as the going was too slow..... Max 75 kmh downhill.... After 40 kays I stopped and changed two fuel filters. A guy helped me by clearing some crud out the carb. This helped a lot as I now coul get to about 110 kmh. Last bit home was ok but after driving into town stop start.... The splutter started again.
I suspect a dirty carb ......ok very dirty. So now the fun starts. To figure this beast out. I already know the big throats is not opening as the vacume and arm opening them is missing. Where do I get these parts? Anyone you can suggest to assist with setting up this nice sounding v8? oh and the diffs are sweating some oil.... Any one good you can recommend to replace the seals.
I stay in the west rand, roodepoort, but I am willing to drive / tow.
Looking forward to give this vehicle some tlc

gordini

Re: cj5 with v8

Post by gordini » Mon 10 Feb 2014, 21:53

I am the JEEP man on the forum :D :D but not the Chevy man....wait it will all comes together ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

marnus

Post by marnus » Mon 10 Feb 2014, 22:06

Speak to Wolf at US Connection, he will sort you out on the carb.
He is the Quadrajet king :!:
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon 10 Feb 2014, 22:15

I would start by dropping the petrol tank and sending it in to get cleaned first . Then change all the filters , give it a good service , fresh plugs and oil. If it's still got points then change them and regap them. Then I would strip the carb , leave it to soak in thinners for a day or two then give the bits a good clean and blow out all the channels. Once that's done get the list number of the carb that runs down the side of the carb that would start with 70 or 170. Get those numbers and order a new carb kit from US connection in Wynberg and rebuild that carb. It's a tricky carb to build but if it's built right will outperform those nasty holleys. They are build for cruising and power if you set the primaries and secondaries just right .if you can't get the correct diff seals just go middas and buy a roll of 3mm thick cork gasket sheet and cut a new seal using the old one as a template otherwise I'm sure some RS performance , the v8 shoppe or US connection will have then unless your diff is an aftermarket forgein one. I don't know what diff came out in a jeep. Im sure the jeep has been standing for a while and just needs a good clean out
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

1250bandit

Post by 1250bandit » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:24

Thank you for the info. Can the 305 be usefull. I dont intent to hot it up. Want to drive it in town. Should i rather look out for a 350 or ford 351351?

gordini

Post by gordini » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:16

Can you check the diff ratios, If you crawl from the back and push your head in between the chassis rails, there is a little plate welded on the centre portion with the ratio....if not there you will need to remove the propshaft. Its stamped on the pinion.

What is your tyre size?? Your gearbox...is it still the std 3 or 4spd Jeep box. What i try to establish here is why its only doing 110. It can be a ratio problem. many older Jeeps suffer from that once the owner go for bigger tyres, V8 engine and 5spd or auto box. I had the same problem :idea: :idea:
In my old age...

From Malmesbury

1250bandit

Post by 1250bandit » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 17:02

I will check the ratios tonight. It has 31" tyres (dont know the exact dimension I just quickly checked this last night) It has a 3 speed box. The guy I bought it from stated it is a 350 turbo box, however he got the engine facts/size and a few other things wrong big time, so I am not sure on this yet............
I think the 110 was only due to the dirty carb and the secondaries not opening, this and perhaps some dirty fuel. I am sure this will change after a good service. I will be taking the carb to US Connection in order for Wolf to inspect and repair.

As info the motor also has an HEI distributor already fitted so one less thing to worry about.

gordini

Post by gordini » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 23:09

gordini wrote:Can you check the diff ratios, If you crawl from the back and push your head in between the chassis rails, there is a little plate welded on the centre portion with the ratio....if not there you will need to remove the propshaft. Its stamped on the pinion.

What is your tyre size?? Your gearbox...is it still the std 3 or 4spd Jeep box. What i try to establish here is why its only doing 110. It can be a ratio problem. many older Jeeps suffer from that once the owner go for bigger tyres, V8 engine and 5spd or auto box. I had the same problem :idea: :idea:
Please send me this if you want :idea: :idea: :idea:
In my old age...

From Malmesbury

1250bandit

Post by 1250bandit » Wed 26 Feb 2014, 21:01

Carb was handed to Wolf for him to give it some tlc. I am enjoying cleaning all the things around the engine and the rest of the vehicle. Tank and radiator was sent to be cleaned, what a difference this made.

Would anyone know where I can get a thermostat housing that points to the right(that is when you stand in front of engine)? The one fitted looks good on the outside but is wrotting on the inside.

Have not gotten to the diffs yet, just saw it looks like Dana 44 at the back do not know the ratios yet.

marnus

Post by marnus » Wed 26 Feb 2014, 21:05

Not going to find one for the 308, unless you make one
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

Social Media