Hi! Thinking about a Lumina SS

A place where new members can introduce themselves and the forum members can get to know them.
Forum rules
Please the introduction first.

When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Include your real location in your user profie please.
Reer

Hi! Thinking about a Lumina SS

Post by Reer » Mon 04 Mar 2019, 19:06

Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting a Lumina SS sedan, a model from around the years of 2007 - 2008. I like the look of those and it ticks all the boxes of manual gears, 4 doors, V8, power, and price (vs other cars I looked at for what you get).

I was wondering, though, what it is like owning a car that old and also that's not made here anymore. Are the parts still available from places like Masterparts, etc? Any issues anyone can see cropping up?

I'm someone coming from a modern hatchback but have always wanted to work on cars and own a V8 (so very noob). I never worked my car or done any mods (as much as I wanted to) because of the warranty so I feel it would be freeing to live a dream of mine with an SS.

Any thoughts? Maybe it's just a bad idea because of issues I might experience, especially as I'd want it as a daily.

Please let me know, Lumina owners and anyone else with an opinion or advice :)
The idea is to leave the hatchback behind and go all in.

ZA Perana

Re: Hi! Thinking about a Lumina SS

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 05 Mar 2019, 15:00

Reer wrote:
Mon 04 Mar 2019, 19:06
Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting a Lumina SS sedan, a model from around the years of 2007 - 2008. I like the look of those and it ticks all the boxes of manual gears, 4 doors, V8, power, and price (vs other cars I looked at for what you get).

I was wondering, though, what it is like owning a car that old and also that's not made here anymore. Are the parts still available from places like Masterparts, etc? Any issues anyone can see cropping up?

I'm someone coming from a modern hatchback but have always wanted to work on cars and own a V8 (so very noob). I never worked my car or done any mods (as much as I wanted to) because of the warranty so I feel it would be freeing to live a dream of mine with an SS.

Any thoughts? Maybe it's just a bad idea because of issues I might experience, especially as I'd want it as a daily.

Please let me know, Lumina owners and anyone else with an opinion or advice :)
The idea is to leave the hatchback behind and go all in.
I have got a 2007 Lumina SS, very modified but I have been doing research on Lumina's since they were launched in 2001.

Manual: the clutch will need to be upgraded, there was a recall that was done in other markets but GMSA didn't do it, basically if you drive the car very hard the clutch pedal can get stuck to the floor, you need a new clutch slave cylinder to mitigate in part this problem. If you aren't driving it like you stole it all the time I don't think this will be a problem.

2007-2008, auto's and very rarely some manuals had DOD lifters, basically displacement on demand, there have been instances where these have failed, the cure is new lifters and while you are about it a performance cam is nice to have.

Suspension, shock mounting bushes can fail, again relatively inexpensive to fix, places like Pyro performance can supply replacement upgraded parts.

In terms of spares, body parts, quite difficult to find but mechanically places like US Powersport, American Motorsport, Akkerman Motors, they can all source anything you are likely to need. I wouldn't run away, GM was always stupidly priced with spares so arguably they never had proper spares back up anyway.

Diff, this oil needs to be changed but it needs to be changed with the correct oil with a friction modifier else the diff eats itself. It is vital to have a good workshop with the right expertise, in Cape Town the only place I would use is Akkerman Motors.

Modifications, sky is the limit but we aren't as fortunate as JHB is when it comes to performance shops so bear that in mind.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Reer

Post by Reer » Tue 05 Mar 2019, 18:12

Good info to know. So it's not much worse, mechanically than owning any other old car it seems? Akkerman Motors is not too far for me so that's great.

Still probably going to think about it for another few months, as it's still scary. So many arguments in my head of sensibility and reliability vs dreams.

But thanks Parana.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 05 Mar 2019, 22:18

Reer wrote:
Tue 05 Mar 2019, 18:12
Good info to know. So it's not much worse, mechanically than owning any other old car it seems? Akkerman Motors is not too far for me so that's great.

Still probably going to think about it for another few months, as it's still scary. So many arguments in my head of sensibility and reliability vs dreams.

But thanks Parana.
I think you should go for it. Look standard driven sensibly the fuel economy is ok for a big V8. They are reliable if looked after, sound of the V8 makes any drive special. As an open road car they are just amazing.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 06 Mar 2019, 10:34

One thing to consider, do you absolutely want a manual? I would drive a manual and an auto and see which you prefer.

I do know of a 2008 manual, used to belong to a friend, some nice modifications done on it and the mileage is fairly low.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Reer

Post by Reer » Wed 06 Mar 2019, 10:59

Yeah I like manual. Very used to it, but admittedly I have not driven an automatic Lumina. But the idea of having a V8 with an automatic seems like a sin to me :)

I potentially would like to have fun and drift a bit at some point. An auto wouldn't be that great I would assume.

Reer

Post by Reer » Wed 06 Mar 2019, 11:36

So for an exact example, I've looked at this one: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 1186390109

Only concern on this one is that it has a chip in the engine bay. I prefer the thought of rather tuning the ECU, keeping all safeties, etc. So this engine has probably been through a lot, especially with the mileage. But I am also not really experienced with tuning so maybe I'm talikng trash.

Hopefully the engine is not about to explode. Since it is close to the book value, it's more in my price range than the extremely modded ones going for more.

Any thoughts on this one?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 06 Mar 2019, 20:19

Reer wrote:
Wed 06 Mar 2019, 11:36
So for an exact example, I've looked at this one: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 1186390109

Only concern on this one is that it has a chip in the engine bay. I prefer the thought of rather tuning the ECU, keeping all safeties, etc. So this engine has probably been through a lot, especially with the mileage. But I am also not really experienced with tuning so maybe I'm talikng trash.

Hopefully the engine is not about to explode. Since it is close to the book value, it's more in my price range than the extremely modded ones going for more.

Any thoughts on this one?
I'd offer at least R30k less for that one. I'd also want to see what sort of maintenance history it has. Lastly the chip is rendered useless because the ECU will always over ride the chip. Chip wont harm the safety because you cant raise the rev limiter with a chip. If this one has some good maintenance history then it would be worth looking at.

Drifting...avoid, its very hard on the drive train of a car.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Reer

Post by Reer » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 01:41

It's amazing how this is one of the cheaper examples I've seen in CT. Everyone seems to be selling them for quite high. I guess it's because they are rare. The dealer didn't even know that it's chipped - I pointed that out to him when I saw the engine bay, so I don't have high hopes for good maintenance history :D

It also has a few scratches, and the wheels are not in great nick. So 30k less would definitely make sense. Not sure the dealer would let that happen though. Probably better for me to keep my eyes out for a better one. I saw an orange one a while back. Looked great and had some good mods (double chain, intake etc), but that was like 40k more than this.

But since looking at all of them, I've decided to be patient. Rather wait for a deal that really feels right. And that way I can continue saving a bigger deposit.

But thanks for your advice!

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 07:30

Reer wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 01:41
It's amazing how this is one of the cheaper examples I've seen in CT. Everyone seems to be selling them for quite high. I guess it's because they are rare. The dealer didn't even know that it's chipped - I pointed that out to him when I saw the engine bay, so I don't have high hopes for good maintenance history :D

It also has a few scratches, and the wheels are not in great nick. So 30k less would definitely make sense. Not sure the dealer would let that happen though. Probably better for me to keep my eyes out for a better one. I saw an orange one a while back. Looked great and had some good mods (double chain, intake etc), but that was like 40k more than this.

But since looking at all of them, I've decided to be patient. Rather wait for a deal that really feels right. And that way I can continue saving a bigger deposit.

But thanks for your advice!
The orange 2008 one is the one that was owned by a friend of mine. I'd look at lots of them and decide what the average is like condition wise. I agree on that silver one, I think that mileage is OK if there is service history but if not definitely walk away.

At the end of the day, the fewer owners the better. I was lucky with mine, I bought it from the original owner.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Social Media