Old school mechanics by province?

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
neresh

Re: Old school mechanics by province?

Post by neresh » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 06:17

Can-Am ZN wrote:
Burnthosetyres wrote:I have never personally used George Cummings in Durban, I did speak to a mate of
mine, Alan Mc Nab who has a immaculate 67 Mustang Fast Back who swears by George!
So he does have his customers who are very happy with his service & talents!....
Thanks Len...that's encouraging. I've only heard positive things. That's practically all he does, I believe...build V8 engines, especially Chevy! Was there the other day, he's still got that mint, intoxicating KCC Cobra with the 418ci SBC motor :mrgreen:
Yup , he's a great chap .helped me with my motor , he's the king of the 400,s . Also would recommend Mike from micilan(#spelling) engineering in pinetown , I'm sure George uses him as well , he was the one that reffered me , and they did good machining on my block and work on the heads , both guys were very very helpful and open with advice .
'71 camino - 406 c.i - turbo 400(manual shift kit) - 9" rear (3.50:1)

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 20:00

George Cummings in Durban will never forgive me for taking first place and fastest car for the day some 20 years back when Gavin(use to work at Thundersport) worked at the container depot in Durban harbor , organized a auto cross at the bay. George had one mean 400 in the yellow Cobra and I had my 400 with '75 roller rockers(Crower), 350 heads with flat top pistons, 650 double pumper Holley, hot cam, 4 degrees advance on the valve timing and 65mm exhaust with branches. He had a very fast car with 4 downdraft Weber carb,s. But the Trans Am had P/S and a Boer with a super car and a few brandy's. :lol: :lol:
Mike Egan from Rocket 88 was also in the race with a 383 stoker motor and he made plenty smoke!! :lol: :lol:
These were the good old days!! :D :D
Rassie.
Attachments
06022009(028).jpg
06022009(028).jpg (149.31 KiB) Viewed 16002 times
13012010(001).jpg
13012010(001).jpg (142.41 KiB) Viewed 16002 times
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 13:15

Funny enough Rassie I read your comment this morning, and ran into Gavin at Checkers in Westville at lunch time... We talked about that day! Classic!

Also made me think about the late Tubby Sonnekus, I often would pop into his place for a chat!
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 20:09

Yes I use to belong to Tubby's East coast cruisers. I miss him! RIP.
In those days I was Billy the Kid! Now I am John Wayne. :lol: :lol:
How is Gavin doing?
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 20:42

Stout Gatte:
Going to send you guys back to your DADS!! 8O In the early 61-63's we used to drag down Edwin Swales drive with out V8 Police vehicles!!
HISTORY:
Will never forget we held a road block opposite the Rossburgh hotel (Nelsons time) and one of our mates (George Claasen) with the Captain 8O came from Umbilo side at a moerse speed had just enough width to take the 59 Chevy's door handles off against the two Panel Vans in the blockade!! Best dive I ever undertook!!
This was the time when they tried to blow up the Botha's Hill powerline (Tower) 8O 8O
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 17:41

Johan was jy lank in die polisie in Durban, my oupa was Kolonel Len Borman Hy was eers stasie bevelvoerder by Durban Noord toe Brighton Beach toe CR Swart. My Oom was
Majoor Hilton McLoud van SANAP wat in beheer van Smugglers Inn bust was....

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 21:34

Koos Swanepoel at KSD has taken a back seat, but I believe he does still tinker around esp on Fords and does give advice. Son Kosie is the hands on guy now, does the dyno work, etc.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 21:43

Burnthosetyres wrote:Johan was jy lank in die polisie in Durban, my oupa was Kolonel Len Borman Hy was eers stasie bevelvoerder by Durban Noord toe Brighton Beach toe CR Swart. My Oom was
Majoor Hilton McLoud van SANAP wat in beheer van Smugglers Inn bust was....
Len Borman het ek geken as Majoor Borman. Hilton McCloud en ek was tydgenote. Hy was op Sentraal en ek op Blitspatrollie!
Kaptein Hulme was my stasie bevelvoerder daar en Hoof Konstabel Doo op Umbilo!!
Die Smugglers Inn bring baie stories terug!! En die Hawthorne hotel wat afgebreek is en met die Four Seasons vervang!! Op 'n deur daar uitgedra!!

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 15:35

Hilton was Lekker stout op sy dag, na Smugglers het Hy so Baie death threats gekry hy het die mag verlaat en drank lisensies op die Suid Kus gedoen.

My oupa is so 8 jaar terug oorkand na 'n hart omlyding.

Ek Onthou Baie van Sy polisie maaitjies, Wessel Fourie was lank SB by Umbilo, dan was daar Kaptein Willis van Durban Noord... Kol Hoffman van Toti was Len se golf partner... Maar ek dink Jy was in Spoorweg polisie....

Maar Dit was jare terug, ek was nog op laer skool.....

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 16:05

Burnthosetyres wrote:Hilton was Lekker stout op sy dag, na Smugglers het Hy so Baie death threats gekry hy het die mag verlaat en drank lisensies op die Suid Kus gedoen. My oupa is so 8 jaar terug oorkand na 'n hart omlyding. Ek Onthou Baie van Sy polisie maaitjies, Wessel Fourie was lank SB by Umbilo, dan was daar Kaptein Willis van Durban Noord... Kol Hoffman van Toti was Len se golf partner... Maar ek dink Jy was in Spoorweg polisie.... Maar Dit was jare terug, ek was nog op laer skool.....
Ek was al die tyd in die SA Polisie en my magsnommer was 38567 (Berede) Troep 31 Berede 1961. Ek het 12 maande opleiding ontvang nie die 3 maande wat die lot nou ontvang nie 8O Het ook 'n Ere Toekenning daardie jaar ontvang.

Social Media