Brake pedal travel - not muscle car related

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
kavesh

Brake pedal travel - not muscle car related

Post by kavesh » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 09:02

My daily drive is a 2011 Audi A4.

It went in for the 75 000km service about 2 months back. I asked them to check the brakes. Nothing was wrong I always ask them to check it though. They reported that the front disks were scored so they replaced just the disks not the pads as they had plenty of life left in them. (Audi Freeway plan will not pay for new pads unless they below a certain thickness, its bullsh$t but but that's fine)

When I collected my car and on the way home I noticed that if I apply constant heavy pressure on the pedal at a robot it goes almost to the floorboard. This was never like that before. The brakes seem to work fine I admit.

Audi head technician drove it and kept it for a day and reported no fault.

My question is should I be concerned or is this normal as they say? I actually don't trust the modern technicians as they generally can only fix/replace what the computer tells them is wrong.

Should I maybe go to another Audi dealership and let them have a look.

Thanks
Kavesh

Doug Hirkham

Re: Brake pedal travel - not muscle car related

Post by Doug Hirkham » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:00

Kavesh,

Drive it for a couple of weeks and just drive normally. Allow the pads to bed with the new discs, and forget about the heavy pressure on the pedal. If you start doing abnormal things - braking from high speed with heavy foot you will put a glaze on the pads and they won't work anymore.

If the pedal goes all the way to the floor when you are just resting your foot on it at a robot could be your master cylinder at fault.

Cheers,
Doug

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:23

Thanks for the feedback Doug.

Its been 2 months now and yes I drive normally, have not had any heavy braking. Have covered about 2000kms since.

Its only at standstill that I notice the problem. My concern is that if I had to sit on the brake in an emergency it may not hold like I expect it to.

parkerya

Post by parkerya » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:11

Audi has one of the worst services. two of my friends had problems with their cars after it came back from Audi. one of my colleagues actually traded his car in for a Toyota because Audi couldn't find a fault on the computer, but you could clearly hear there was something wrong
" better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime"

Doug Hirkham

Post by Doug Hirkham » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:23

[quote/) My concern is that if I had to sit on the brake in an emergency it may not hold like I expect it to.[/quote]

If you had to stand on the brakes the ABS would take over and you would have a shuddering pedal with the best possible result.

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:38

On a modern car they should return to normal pretty soon , if they're still spongy after 2000km may have to bleed a little bit but I've never had to on a modern car ... They might've loosened one of the nipples by accident or stupidity and got some air in ...
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:01

I even suggested to them that there may be air in the system.
Problem is they are very text book. Their response is according to the job card simply replacing the disk would not allow air to enter the system. In theory yes but I can almost guarantee that some junior technician did something he was not meant to do and let air in.
They won't even look at bleeding......May just end up doing it myself. Pisses me off as the car is still under maintenance plan

ters

Post by ters » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:32

Buy a BMW boet ;) .

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 13:16

Trust me if they're in a rush and that brake won't budge piston they'll loosen it ...
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Doug Hirkham

Post by Doug Hirkham » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 14:29

In your second post you mentioned that the problem is only at standstill.

There's nothing wrong with your brakes - no air in system. If you push hard on the pedal at standstill you will get a bit of a mushy pedal feel, may even be able to push the pedal to the floor, whereas when you are moving and you push the brakes they work! You would never push that hard when mobile - if you were driving barefoot you'd be able to brake efficiently with your big toe.

Social Media