This is NUTS

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
jmvv

This is NUTS

Post by jmvv » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 09:55

After fitting the new 17" Magnum 500 wheel on the Mustang, I ran into a little snag.

The wheel studs were too short to allow proper engagement with the wheel nuts. I only had about 5mm of thread available (even though this allows for a safety factor of 2 for the average S.A.taxi :lol:)

The wheel nuts were the standard collard acorn type nuts.

After some web trolling I found a solution.

It is called an ET style collard nut. It has an extension that allows the nut to penetrate into the opening for the lug nuts by about 15mm and when fully screwed in and fastened, gives me about 20mm of thread engagement.

The new nuts fits with no modification to the wheel at all and because of the tight tolerances, also helps to center the wheels in the absence of spigot rings.

dom

Re: This is NUTS

Post by dom » Tue 22 Mar 2016, 15:39

Those nuts are a nice find! But I would check for (radial) runout/concentricity of your wheels and not entirely rely on the nuts to center them.

From the web:
…guidelines that I've found useful. It's not uncommon to see a runout .025 to .030 inch in a performance tire in a Corvette size. By comparison, a machined alloy wheel will usually have runouts of as little as .005 to .010 inch. Stamped steel wheels, hopefully, will have a runout of .025 or less. If a wheel has a runout of .030" or over, my recommendation is to mark it, and then you can look at that wheel first if a vibration is experienced. The solution may be match-mounting a tire to that wheel.

The Rubber Manufacturer's Association, (RMA), which has long published .050" as a guideline for maximum runout of a tire/wheel assembly for use on cars and light trucks.
Nothing is as it seems!

Social Media