Diff identification

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
IbanezRG

Diff identification

Post by IbanezRG » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 12:09

So I had a look at my Capri's diff as well as the other one I've got. They both don't have identification tags and I cannot figure out what diffs I actually have. Maybe you guys can help me out here.

So this is my Capri's diff, all I could find on it is the letters MC and .92

and this is the other one I've got, all I could find on this one was Borg Warner (its got lots of gunk on it, will clean it next time I'm there to see if it has any markings):

ZA Perana

Re: Diff identification

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:53

The Borg Warner one might be off a multitude of cars, just this weekend I learnt that the Hillman Vouge also has a Borg Warner diff.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

bmwmaniac

Post by bmwmaniac » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 18:43

The top unit looks like a local diff, maybe a gearmax m75. the BW looks like something american. who knows, maybe even off a local nomad.
"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Wed 10 Oct 2018, 09:30

so I e-mail my photos to Gearmax and got the below response.

So your diff in the vehicle uses the m68 parts and the 2nd hand one uses m75 parts.
We need to determine what ratio you will be needing and what your current ratio is.

Sooo.. I'm not sure what to do here. Should I wait and try to find a rear axle that will work for my project ?

I guess I could get the gear ratio on the BW diff checked out and make it work for my project ? Not sure if the axle will fit.. and it has 5 stud hubs, so that will have to change to 4 stud. is this even possible ?

I know nothing about axles and diff so any advise is appreciated.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 11 Oct 2018, 19:42

IbanezRG wrote:
Wed 10 Oct 2018, 09:30

So your diff in the vehicle uses the m68 parts and the 2nd hand one uses m75 parts.
We need to determine what ratio you will be needing and what your current ratio is.

Sooo.. I'm not sure what to do here. Should I wait and try to find a rear axle that will work for my project ?

I guess I could get the gear ratio on the BW diff checked out and make it work for my project ? Not sure if the axle will fit.. and it has 5 stud hubs, so that will have to change to 4 stud. is this even possible ?

Well I am astonished Gearmax could provide any information at all! Very impressive. I think its easy to determine the ratio, make a mark on the output shaft of the diff and make a mark on the diff itself then turn a half shaft and count how many revolutions are needed to turn to get the marks to align again. That will be the ratio.

You could adapt 5 studs but you would need to remake the hub which is likely to be expensive. Or you could take the shafts out, count the splines and adapt 4 bolt stud shafts to work find another 4 stud shaft of the same length and have it res splined.

I have been through variations of all the mentioned advice here when it comes to side shafts and hubs..
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

marnus

Post by marnus » Mon 15 Oct 2018, 09:27

IbanezRG wrote:

Seems I was not far of with the M68 8)
And the other diff uses the M75 parts, should be able to get 4 stud shaft and drums for the brakes,
Do you have the pcd for the 5 studs, if it does not interfere with the 4x108 from the capri then redrill hubs and drums
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Mon 15 Oct 2018, 13:09

marnus wrote:
Mon 15 Oct 2018, 09:27
IbanezRG wrote:

Seems I was not far of with the M68 8)
And the other diff uses the M75 parts, should be able to get 4 stud shaft and drums for the brakes,
Do you have the pcd for the 5 studs, if it does not interfere with the 4x108 from the capri then redrill hubs and drums
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at the diff this weekend to see what the ratio is and how I can make it work.

Social Media