When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
zahistorics

Re: Capri V8

Post by zahistorics » Tue 15 May 2012, 01:42

Glen you are incorrect.

That Supra box is probably an R154 which is rated at 450lbft which is more than double a standard Perana's 200lbft. The R154 can reputedly be pushed to 600lbft before thrust washers start to break - 3x stock Perana torque.

Even if it is one of the smaller W5x series Toyota - those boxes are rated for around 350lbft

So unless that 302 is in some mental state of tune that Toyota box will be just fine.

ters

Post by ters » Tue 15 May 2012, 08:18

So unless that 302 is in some mental state of tune that Toyota box will be just fine.[/quote]

Thank you gentleman for your comments.

The specific gearbox has some history; There is a guy in Pretoria, dragracer/ tuner, called
Mickey. His surname I am not sure of. Mickey used to race a very sweet orange Can- Am
around the local strips, street legal with rollbars ect. Apparently he had a mishap 3 or 4 years
ago, and was T- boned by a tree. This gearbox comes out of the Can- Am.

Mickey worked on the car for the owner, as well as Coenie Bosman from Powerhouse here
in Pretoria. That engine sounds extremely wicked, but not full race.

I have not heard anything from the owner, usually I dream to much to early :o :o
Will keep you posted, and please hold thumbs...

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Glen

Post by Glen » Tue 15 May 2012, 09:35

zahistorics

but is the box in this Capri a supra source how will he know this first he said it had a Cressida box inside thereafter a Supra! what if this guy just saying so to yu know what i mean ZA i used to drive a ford courier Toyota 5spd Holley 4barrel sorted motor and tore the Cressida apart where as the layshaft collapsed which resulted in gearbox failure......... 8) 8) 8)

i dont dispute a Supra Gearbox ZA i mean they are built to take a knock from those turbo motors so i just thought that that is my opinion 8) 8) 8)

Glen

Post by Glen » Tue 15 May 2012, 09:43

Hi Ters/ZA

oh i see you previous post saying it came out of a Can Am so there should'nt be any problems we all know the Can Ams were MENTAL so if the box comes out of that then as i said shouldd have no problems:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gordini

Post by gordini » Tue 15 May 2012, 10:46

Wow Ters, its a nice car, hope you can do the deal. brutal power is always way much nicer than galloping horses 8) 8) 8)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

ters

Post by ters » Wed 16 May 2012, 13:25

Guys, :( :( :( :( :( no deal! The owner of the Capri and his wife came to look at my
1958 Ford last night, he gave me a call about 30 minutes after they left. He says that
his wife does not like the car, to big!! He want's it, but we all know "pantoffel" rules.
They have a way of implementing "sanctions", if we do not adhere to their opinions.......

I should have known it was to good to be true. There is however another guy that contacted
me about a Sierra s/w with 302 and manual box. I honestly lost all commitment towards my
'58...do not know why. Had it advertised since 2011/11, lots of enquiries, but nothing solid.

What the flucks should I do :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Ters :( :( :(
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!

Glen

Post by Glen » Wed 16 May 2012, 13:45

oh damn Ters i was anticipating your result sorry boet but be strong man i know that feeling :cry: :evil: :evil:

ters

Post by ters » Fri 25 May 2012, 19:25

Hold thumbs, something is brewing.....!

Social Media