When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
paulusvrotius1

Re: Apprentice wanted

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Sat 09 Jun 2012, 13:17

Barry,

I would love to get an offer like that here in the UK and I'm not opposed to returning to S.A. but the timeline would be a bit tight for me to make a move like that. I may be getting a bit old to an 'appy' too but I'm very keen to learn more about the trade.
I would like to hear more about it if that's ok with you?
I am getting great pleasure out of making my own panels, brackets etc and have looked at a metalworking course here in the UK but it's not cheap.
Whoever is lucky enough to get the job with you is getting more than just a salary. Whatever is learnt is for keeps, as you said, and all it will cost is dedication.
I really hope you find the right guy, sob. :cry:

Cheers
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sat 09 Jun 2012, 23:17

paulusvrotius1 wrote:I'm not opposed to returning to S.A.
Barry, I have seen Paul work. I for one can recommend him :)

Tony69

Post by Tony69 » Sun 10 Jun 2012, 01:28

argh, I meant to say "hands on"....I can weld and sh!t like that, shape metal by hand, etc. Do the 'job' by 'hand'. Still alot to learn though.

....but Barry, your comments were rather interesting...callouses? really? :|
I know youre a bodyshop dude and all, but I don't think you're supposed to use sandpaper. :lol: :lol:
I'd hate to think what use you'd have for a slapper bar. :lol:

William, I hear what youre saying. Thanks for the offer, living with you should be, uhm...different. lol
I just need a change of scenery for a while, but I dont think it'll work right now.
What will I do with the cars? Not practical to take them with & certainly not selling them. btw....its not as much fun when its not your car. :lol:

Garage

Post by Garage » Sun 10 Jun 2012, 07:01

Don't try to explain Tony...you'll just make it worse. It's okay. We won't judge......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul, I'm open to all ideas. I titled the thread "Apprentice" simply because I've had enough starts with guys who talk the right game, but clearly either don't have the skills, have learnt the wrong ones and are unwilling to change, or simply don't share the opinion that actually turning up for work on time (if at all), and then actually working is a prerequisite for being employed.....

Gets old quickly when you're paying someone R10K+ a month to goof off and fcuk up customer's cars and materials to boot. Got that T-shirt a couple times already......
So my thinking is to hopefully find someone starting out who understands the value of the education they'll be getting WHILE getting paid at least enough to almost get by on..... Not an easy find anywhere in today's want-it-all-right-now times, when the idea of paying your dues is scoffed at.

As much as I hated the system and everything it stood for, I sorely miss conscription for the little bit of humility, character and patience it instilled in some....

Anyways, the offer is out there and the right guy will turn up eventually. Or not. I am not holding my breath or getting my hopes up or anything. But if you are it, put your hand up and be counted. Bring the right mindset, some idea of how the real world works and the sky is the limit.
You will be working for someone who won't be satisfied until we are turning out handcrafted (no CNC here folks) cars and bikes that could turn up at ANY show, anywhere in the world and not have to play second fiddle to anyone......... and that is rare no matter where you are on the planet.

(Okay so maybe not totally satisfied, but at least halfway there!)
Barry

Metalshaping courses, Replacement panels, Full Builds, General Fabrication.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garag ... 2857822743

The Russ

Post by The Russ » Mon 11 Jun 2012, 13:03

Hi Barry.
what would the starting pay be for an apprentice there?
I am willing to move to stellenbosch for the job. Very keen to learn
new things and like I said this is my dream job. Kind regards Derrick.
you can contact me on 0844075872 if u want to give or get info. Thanks.
When life gives u lemons turn it into a lemon worth driving.
When doing right is wrong, then go left.
When u stand alone, it means that silent fart realy smells...

wally

Post by wally » Mon 11 Jun 2012, 14:53

That would be a great experience Barry! If only life wasn't in the way - all the bills and need-to-pays... :cry:
http://www.projectamazinggrace.org - Uniting the world's Christian community in one song on 8 November 2015 @ 15h00 GMT. Come sing with us!

damagecontrol

Post by damagecontrol » Mon 11 Jun 2012, 14:59

The Russ wrote:Hi Barry.
what would the starting pay be for an apprentice there?
I am willing to move to stellenbosch for the job. Very keen to learn
new things and like I said this is my dream job. Kind regards Derrick.
you can contact me on 0844075872 if u want to give or get info. Thanks.
Now that's dedication right there!!!
You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
89' Mercedes Benz 230e
....erode confidence in the enemy and cause the opposing forces to be left not knowing where the devastation is coming from....

THE ONE

Post by THE ONE » Mon 11 Jun 2012, 15:25

Hi there. In Cape Town. ALLWAYS wanted to try my hand at something like this...

How do we get in touch?

Garage

Post by Garage » Mon 11 Jun 2012, 16:08

Call me on 083 461 3493 or mail to barry@garagemagazine.co.za

Russ the pay will be commensurate with experience. Tell me what you bring to the table and we'll talk....
Barry

Metalshaping courses, Replacement panels, Full Builds, General Fabrication.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garag ... 2857822743

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Tue 12 Jun 2012, 12:15

Hi Barry,

Before you think I'm not interested, I though I should let you know I have been giving this a lot of thought.
Also, as a result of this thread I have been approached by a local person. He is away for a few days but has an offer of his own he wants to discuss when he gets back.
I'm going to pm you on what I can 'bring to the table' as I'm completely open about this at the moment.
All I know is if I'm going to give up my current career this is what I would want to do.

I don't know if you have seen my thread in restoration but it will give you an idea of what I have been doing so far. I have done far more difficult work on two other Capris that I have plenty of pics of that I can send you.

As to my attitude, my Dad tought me " stealing your employers time is no different to having your hands in the till" Having been manufacturing manager for 11 years myself in Joburg I know how crap it can be to have people working for you that do that.

Cheers
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

Social Media