Opinions please! In the market for C-segment shitbox.

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Moering Tool

Opinions please! In the market for C-segment shitbox.

Post by Moering Tool » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 17:41

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new car. My lil fiesta is now a decade old and it's time for something new and more in keeping with the greying temples and spreading waistline.

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to buy though. I want an automatic and maybe a turbodiesel. Sedans/touring get preference.

Ek bliksem van my stoel af toe ek nuwe kar pryse sien!

The Kia Optima would have been my first choice but I see they don't list them new anymore. Pity as it's a great-looking, great value for money car.

The latest Focus leaves me cold - I find the interior cramped and poorly designed from an aesthetics point of view. Good value though and good engines.

The Golf/Jetta looks nice, but do I go for the 1.4tsi DSG or the 1.6tdi DSG? Jetta is screwed together in mexico! Ole!

New corolla is also nice looking, but no diesel option.

Civic. The diesel is only available in the hatch, wtf are these people smoking? Civic touring option is very expensive for a 1.8 petrol. Accord is completely off the charts price-wise.

Why are the jap offerings not going the hairdryer route? Is it because of reliability issues and they know something we don't? Much has been made of the frequent turbo failures on VW tdi's and the like, but is it a storm in a teacup?

There is the Puh-joe 308, apparently euro COTY 2014. To be launched soon apparently...?

Chevy cruze? Good value but strikes me as a bit fong kong, is this being unfair?

Volvo - suits my personality but the pricing is mad. Almost R370k for the V40 D3. D-segment pricing!

Re-not megane or fluence... Hmmm not sure. Seems good value but I'm wary of service levels and resale value.

Opel Astra. No idea. Looks sharp but a bit also-ran-ish compared to golf/jetta?

Kia cerato. No diesel option. Looks a bit odd, not as harmonious as the previous gen imo. Good value.

Elantra. 1.6l petrol only. Expensive imo. Not a fan of the styling.

Mazda 3... Unknown quantity. Ditto the 6 and it's expensive.

Giulietta. Beautiful and probably not very practical. Automatic is very expensive. My heart tells me this one but.....

Buying a new car is very hard!

ters

Re: Opinions please! In the market for C-segment shitbox.

Post by ters » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:06

2nd hand, low mileage (in Motorplan!) BMW 120d or 320d? You'll enjoy your daily commute, good economy, +leave a couple "hot hatches" red faced at the stop signs!!

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 18:17

I know it makes good economic sense to buy 2nd hand but 2nd hand cars put me off a bit. The fact that it's got someone else's DNA smeared all around the cockpit is revolting :( plus you don't know how it's been treated. I see the way people drive everyday, riding their clutches and generally not having much mechanical sympathy - and that is the final nail in the coffin.

I am also a long-term owner type of guy, so it just appeals more to my personal sensibilities to buy out the box.

I already have a second hand datsun and it gives me no end of kak! Thing is always a non-runner with bits falling off all over the show :mrgreen:

Bearhawke

Post by Bearhawke » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 20:31

Brand new car: I'd def buy 'Asian' i.e. Japanese or Korean because they have the rep ob being bulletproof although some of the Detroit 3 brakes are now quite durable.

OTOH going by reliability and cost of repairs here in the USA; the rule of thumb with the Euro brands is buy one 'new' then, dump it when the warranty runs out.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:01

Ford for me all the way, Traded my Territory GHIA awd in and now drive a new Focus 1.6 as a daily driver, a lot more fun than any other H/B and very fuel efficient and 92kw from the 1.6 it goes well, done 35000 km in a year.
I've had over 44 cars from a BMW's to Hondas to VW's but 15 have been Fords and then next one will be too. Oh I do also have 3 Rover SD1's as well :lol:

Hondas in my opinion still the best Japanese car on the market but pricey.

I work in the industry and drive a lot of makes (not counting the supercars I drive from time to time) and apart from maaaayyyybbbee a Kia Sportage nothing else does it for me when it comes to the handling and fun factor of driving. I do around 4000km a month
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:23

Kia Optima

http://www.kiadeals.co.za/new-cars/kia- ... AoyW8P8HAQ

Does anybody know why Ford S.A. discontinued the Mondeo?

Looking at the latest model in U.K. it Sure does look like a fine car.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/AllNewMondeo

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:08

Something not Kosher with that Optima link - you can't access it via the menu, so I think it's old content that's still sitting on the web server.

I'll phone and ask though. It's not listed on their website nor in the CAR mag database.

Mondeo is a fantastic car.

lumi-fan

Post by lumi-fan » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:18

Jetta.

My cousin has the 1.4TSI DSG. Fantastic car, with more than enough power, all the toys, very frugal (15-16km/l) on the open road, and it feels like a much bigger car.

Drive one, and you will see what I mean.

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 15:32

I had a 2005 Mondeo ST 220, awesome car to say the least, had everything, wish I had of kept it.

Monedo replacement due end 2015 called a Fusion, very nice, just hope Ford SA stick to bringing it in as per their website news.

https://www.ford.co.za/cars/fusion/kmi? ... usion_Home
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Orange

Post by Orange » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 16:20

I also wished I kept my 2005 St220. What a car.

Social Media