Opinions please! In the market for C-segment shitbox.

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
IndianaJones

Re: Opinions please! In the market for C-segment shitbox.

Post by IndianaJones » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 19:02

Personally I would buy used.

If you have to buy new, the Jetta is an excellent car, I think it would have the best resale value later in life.

But if you're looking at the VW, also have a look at the Audi A3 sedan and Sportback, which would be my pick.

The Hyundai Elantra is also a very good car, but not as fast.

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 20:52

Unfortunately any of the D-segment cars are above my paygrade. Even the more expensive c-segment cars will be a hard sell.

The mazda 3 is starting to look appealing, but at this point the jetta is probably the frontrunner. Horsepower doesn't interest me in the least, it must be comfortable ("barge-like" is probably the most apt description), flexible and economical and practical and reliable. Autobox!

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 09:19

he Golf/Jetta looks nice, but do I go for the 1.4tsi DSG or the 1.6tdi DSG? Jetta is screwed together in mexico! Ole!
Jetta 1.6tdi all the way - just keep to services, and if you can Sasol or Engen ultra low sulpur.
For some strange reason I got my best mileage on on those on my 19.tdi - over 1000km per tank. Shell ~ 900.
Caltex.............and BP........750 to 800
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
It's never junk, it's just a part you're not currently using

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 13:29

I Love BM's. Steer clear of the Frenchies, and check out the Kia Coup, funky & different!
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 20:25

I went to go look at the ford Fok-us and the new Mazdas. Ford left me cold once again. Cramped, no knee space, cheap-looking trim and switchgear.
The new Mazdas. All I can say is WOW. The 3 sedan has an audi 5-ish sculpt to it, it's stunning. They have this powder-blue metallic colour, parked outside in the rain it was gobsmackingly nice.

The interior is very well executed. It's minimalist and very elegant without the somberness of, say, an audi or the stodginess of a VW. Quality is very good and doesn't have the plasticky feel or gimmicky layout of other jap/korean cars. It's very much like the A-class merc. It is a MILLION times more elegant and mature than the inside of the Focus.

The 6 is more of the same, except it's got a premium classiness to it that I really love. It's very comfortable, spacious and airy. Interior quality seems top notch, but probably won't cause ze chermans any sleepless nights. But that's fine, it's R100k cheaper, and their loss. I certainly didn't find anything to nitpick about, apart from the annoying disclaimer on the central display that you have to agree to first when the car starts. Maybe it can be disabled.

The cx5 is also very nice inside, very much in style like the 3, but slightly bulkier, and funnily enough, more somber even though the execution and materials are identical. The cargo area is huge but strangely there's no cover, just a mesh type thing that connects with the tailgate. It's in the same sort of price range as the 6.

I would love to have the 6 but the entry level auto is R346k. The basic specification is okay but it doesn't have leather ferinstance or PDC or any toys, whereas the full-house astina-spec 3 auto is R326. It's got the lot.

What would you choose? A full house C-segment or sparse entry-level D-segment?

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 09:50

I am very impressed by the new Mazdas. They have worked hard at lifting the range up and they have a winner imo.

ETA that video is a bit disappointing to me - it pushes the wrong buttons in someone who doesn't drive like a shithead :lol:

The sedan is better proportioned than the hatch.

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 18:18

In the interests of thoroughness and to compare properly, I am looking at all the options and visiting dealerships and collecting brochures. I went to the local Frod dealership to get brochures, they didn't have the last time.

I have decided that I must, by proxy of sheer and utter necessity, buy myself a Fok-us.

Here's why - the brochure proclaims thus:
Easy-Fuel capless refuelling system
Using Ford's Easy-fuel system, it's hard to fill up with the wrong fuel. Why? As the correct fuel nozzle for your car is the only one that will fit. Another great thing about this system is that it's capless, which means that you'll never touch a dirty fuel cap again.

Well shit, my first-world problems are too much to bear, Ford to the rescue! I'll take a red one, thanks!

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 18:42

Moering Tool wrote:In the interests of thoroughness and to compare properly, I am looking at all the options and visiting dealerships and collecting brochures. I went to the local Frod dealership to get brochures, they didn't have the last time.

I have decided that I must, by proxy of sheer and utter necessity, buy myself a Fok-us.

Here's why - the brochure proclaims thus:
Easy-Fuel capless refuelling system
Using Ford's Easy-fuel system, it's hard to fill up with the wrong fuel. Why? As the correct fuel nozzle for your car is the only one that will fit. Another great thing about this system is that it's capless, which means that you'll never touch a dirty fuel cap again.

Well shit, my first-world problems are too much to bear, Ford to the rescue! I'll take a red one, thanks!
:lol: Brilliant, so you can now toss those dirty fuel-smelling gloves that you keep in the boot then, Riaan :lol: :lol:
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 18:48

Moering Tool wrote:In the interests of thoroughness and to compare properly, I am looking at all the options and visiting dealerships and collecting brochures.
Have you looked at the Kia Cerato too?

Social Media