Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
jmvv

1964 Impala SS

Post by jmvv » Mon 27 Apr 2015, 21:26

Seeing the Impala at the Street Rod and Muscle Car Nationals at Wonderboom Airport on Sunday was a gratifying culmination of 18 months' involvement with the car.

Even more gratifying was to have my lovely wife, Benita - she is the lady on the left in the picture - being able to accompany me on this day (Dankie, Nooi, vir al die onderseuning tydens al die lang ure en vakansiedae wat nie gevat kon word nie)

It started in August 2013, when I was asked to see if it was possible to make a right hand drive version of the original dashboard.

I believe that anything is possible, if you know of the right people.

I flew down to Stellenbosh and delivered the original dashboard to Barry Ashmole, with the request to see if he was willing to have a go at creating a mirror image in metal of the original piece.

Not only was he willing; he is more than able.

A few months later I received this from him.

The original dashboard:

As well as a perfect right hand drive version:
He even included the required outlets for the aircon that I had requested.

The task to fit and paint the dashboard was entrusted to my brilliantly skilled friend Piet Fourie.
As is his nature, a few structural and rust issues were identified and this resulted in the car being painted in the brilliant Honda metallic blue.

This was also the condition in which I received the car in May 2014.

At this stage, the Hotchkiss suspension was fitted, the brake callipers were mounted and the GM LQ9 engine was installed. It was far from a running, driving entity.

I then started to connect the rack and pinion steering to the Ididit steering column.
The wiring was done by means of a Painless wiring kit - not painless, as the harness had previously been taken in hand by some interesting people as well as the fact that the harness was for a carburettor engine and I was dealing with fuel injection - not insurmountable, but an interesting challenge, nonetheless.
Fuel supply is by means of an Aeromotive system.
A custom propshaft was manufactured - the center bearing for this had to be specially imported, as no equivalent items were available, locally.

The steering conversion meant that I did not have enough clearance for a conventional brake booster, so I fitted a Hydroboost unit that runs off the power steering pump.
This meant that I no longer had space for the engine mounted coil packs, so I relocated them to the firewall and I had a set of custom plug wires made up by Bougicord.

I installed the air conditioning system with its integrated heating facility.

When all that was done, I could install the Dakota Digital gauge cluster. Barry's work on the dashboard was so accurate, that the cluster screwed onto the back of the dash using the supplied mounting points with no modification at al.

In the interim, I had stripped the seats down to the frames and had rebuilt them, making my own foam pads in the process. The old foam was beyond service due to excessive water damage.
The door cards were also beyond repair and I made a new set out of 3mm supawood.
The seats and panels were all upholstered by AK Leather, using special soft furniture leather, that I supplied, instead of the more robust automotive leather (The chances of any rugrats standing on the seats and dripping molten ice cream all over the interior is definitely very slim to non-existant)

I fitted the new head liner and carpet kit and also a dedicated electric window conversion.

I built a new center console with cup holders and covered iPhone storage as well as the door mounted speaker panels for the Rockford Fosgate Punch sound system.

The custom built rear parcel shelf is leather trimmed in the same material as the seats and house the Rockford Fosgate Punch rear speakers and, what I consider the "piece de résistance"; a bow-tie shaped high level brake light.

The boot is trimmed in the same leather as the interior and house the amplifiers for the sound system (Rockford Fosgate Punch 4-channel and monoblock) as well as the Optima Red Top battery behind hinged panels on the sides and the Rockford Fosgate Punch 10" subwoofer behind the rear panel under the parcel shelf.

I would like to thank Seth for his trust in me and for his tolerance of my "flexible" deadlines, also for his absolute dedication in procuring all the special parts needed from the USA.
Also thanks to my colleague Andre van der Merwe for unravelling the mystery of classic chevy flashy bits and for really coming to the party in fabricating the boot panels, even though I kept changing the scope at the last minute.

V8 fan

Re: 1964 Impala SS

Post by V8 fan » Mon 27 Apr 2015, 21:43

Well done and compliments to a stunning built car!!! ;)
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8
'65 Ford Mustang Convertible
'72 Landy SWB "88 series 3

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep
'73 Pontiac Grand Prix 400

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Mon 27 Apr 2015, 22:51

You've broken my heart! :cry: :cry: That Impala is better built than a new one!! :mrgreen:
It is worth much more than what anyone can offer you! :D
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

ters

Post by ters » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 06:27

She is a stunner! Beautiful workmanship sir!

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

FBI

Post by FBI » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 08:07

A real gem .
Nothing is stronger than love
Except a BIG BLOCK

Garage

Post by Garage » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 04:46

Top class stuff Johann - you guys did an awesome job.
That dash was a LOT tougher to build than it looks, especially since the car was 1600km away... 8O 8) 8)

Glad to have been given the opportunity to play a small part in the build, and such a pleasure to work with you and your client!
Barry

Metalshaping courses, Replacement panels, Full Builds, General Fabrication.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garag ... 2857822743

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 07:36

Too many guys do not acknowledge they have a wife who allows, or encourages them to tinker or build cars and other things.

Thank you Benita for standing by your man through what would not have been a quick build process and letting him get on with what needed to be done, my Nicola is right by my side in letting me live too. :D

This is a truly beautifully built car.

Some originality, loads of custom and pro touches.

I would have to spend days circling it to get the gist of all you and the other craftsmen did on it.

You are right, the RHD conversion is beautifully executed.

My question is "Why?"

You really have a stunner there.

Scar

Post by Scar » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 08:03

What a beautiful car and awesome work done! Well Done!!

Looking forward to seeing her in the flesh at another show in the near future
Scar

58 Chevy Biscayne
69 Barracuda 383
Audi S4 supercharged V6 (daily driver)

Social Media