• ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Johann Grobler

Re: Forum going slowly down?

Post by Johann Grobler » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 13:14

Membership going slowly up??? :mrgreen:

Chooms

Post by Chooms » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 15:17

My take on this, is that years ago, many knowledgeable members of this forum regularly contributed insightful commentary, informed advice, and invaluable guidance related to our passion for cars.

Generally, help was always offered and on hand, knowledge and experiences generously shared, and it was felt that these qualities made our forum unique - an enjoyable, informed and interesting environment about older cars - and chances were good that one would learn a thing or two about older cars.
I, for one, did.
As far as activity on the forum goes, that calibre of member, rich in knowledge with serious experience, is a much smaller group nowadays, compared to back then.
There may be a host of reasons for their absence, but it is possible that those who contributed regularly back then, and who no longer post here now – may find the forum in a slightly different space at times.
At the risk of sounding hypocritical (although, it IS the negativity on the forum that I’m addressing), but sharp negative commentary – unrelated to cars - is often the case that drive people away.
Typically, posts regarding the shocking state of the nation to the ever dwindling value of the Rand, to Zuma, crime, problems, problems, problems, etc, - all valid concerns in their own right - but this is what really get the posts flying in, in recent times. There’s pages of the stuff.

Everybody who lives here gets it already!

Keeping it informative and interesting, and most importantly - about the cars – is what should always be the driving force behind this forum.

Make no mistake, this is still a quality forum.
Long may it continue to be so.
The dust will choke you blind,
The lust will...choke your mind.
- Rodriguez

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 04 Oct 2015, 11:21

Great post Chooms, you should please post more often.

drgfinger
Technical Guru

Post by drgfinger » Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:37

I changed hobbys to high end hifi , had to sell one vette and my Camaro to afford the giya G1 speakers..only left with my 95 Vette and the forum doesnt really cater for it (C4 overseas forums) ... I visit occasionally
The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is........the feeling you get when you stop!!

05 Jag S-type R - supercharged v8
95 C4 lt1 corvette

RIP

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:51

drgfinger wrote:I changed hobbys to high end hifi , had to sell one vette and my Camaro to afford the giya G1 speakers..only left with my 95 Vette and the forum doesnt really cater for it (C4 overseas forums) ... I visit occasionally
Glad to see that you are still around! :mrgreen: Like my sound system as well! good on the ears ;)
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Scorpionman

Post by Scorpionman » Fri 09 Oct 2015, 13:17

drgfinger wrote:I changed hobbys to high end hifi , had to sell one vette and my Camaro to afford the giya G1 speakers..only left with my 95 Vette and the forum doesnt really cater for it (C4 overseas forums) ... I visit occasionally

Awesome stuff. Haven’t listened to the G1's yet, but can only be awesome. Local product that competes with the best in the world. Enjoy them.

Loved the B&W Nautilus - same concept I believe.
1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe
1975 Fiat 132 GLS

barrydorr

Post by barrydorr » Fri 09 Oct 2015, 14:18

My excuse...facebook...spent a lot of time on the classic car facebook groups and ofcourse the AMC group on facebook.

I noted the comment
classic_car_fan wrote:The format of this forum is pretty old school. It is hard to find information and real value without spending a lot of time.
I have to agree...although we are are talking oldschool cars here...so an oldschool forum is in it place ;)

I personally like the facebook groups better than the forum except the rude comments ...this is something you don't see here at the forum...everybody is friendly and respects each other.

I am here at least ones a week but not making a lot of comments
My Toys:
1974 Opel Manta 1900 DL
2008 Mitsubishi Outlander

1972 Toyota Corona MKII 1600 - Bakkie (SOLD)
1991 Opel Kadett GSi 2lt-16V Superboss (SOLD)

drgfinger
Technical Guru

Post by drgfinger » Mon 12 Oct 2015, 08:50

Scorpionman wrote:

Awesome stuff. Haven’t listened to the G1's yet, but can only be awesome. Local product that competes with the best in the world. Enjoy them.

amazing speakers .. amongst the best in the world regardless of price.
Made in Pinetown..
Local buyers pay 1/2 us $ price

Laurence dickie designed the Nautilus - and the giya's .. giyas the "modern" nautillus

The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is........the feeling you get when you stop!!

05 Jag S-type R - supercharged v8
95 C4 lt1 corvette

RIP

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Mon 12 Oct 2015, 12:22

drgfinger wrote:
Scorpionman wrote:
Made in Pinetown..
Laurence dickie designed the Nautilus - and the giya's .. giyas the "modern" nautillus
WOW!!!! 8O
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

KSF

Post by KSF » Mon 12 Oct 2015, 12:28

Johann72 wrote:
drgfinger wrote:
Scorpionman wrote:
Made in Pinetown..
WOW!!!! 8O
+1. Could not have said it better myself.

Pity about the fleamarket rug you have there, R !! :P :D

Social Media