1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Grizz

Re: Grizz and Martin's Epic USA Chevy C10 Road trip - 2015

Post by Grizz » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 16:34

Can-Am ZN wrote:Great informative and entertaining topic, Grizz.

Is that a red SA-made kit car in the background of the beach buggy pics...a Ferrino perhaps? 8O

Thanks for sharing your experience with us...if only! :D

Thank you for the reply.

I sent Herb a PM last night, this is his reply.

The car is a 72 Kelmark, its a replica of a Dino Ferrari. It was made up from 2 engineers around Detroit, I think 1 worked for one of the big 3. They got together, one was named Mark, and the other named Kelly (I think) They wanted to sell a kit car the average home owner could build in his garage, get parts at a salvage yard and put what ever powertrain he could adapt. I think they were only made about 5 years before Ferrari made them stop imitating them.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 16:35

Johann72 wrote:I am Stunned 8O

HOEKOM JOHANN ?

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 17:37

Grizz wrote:

HOEKOM JOHANN ?
You are showing a world that we locals can only dream of :D
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 19:39

Johann72 wrote:
Grizz wrote:

HOEKOM JOHANN ?
You are showing a world that we locals can only dream of :D
Gotcha.

I always loved seeing people's travel reports as I could not afford it.

South Africa is financially "landlocked" so I know what it used to feel like.

I feel supremely privileged to have had this opportunity to travel and meet people.

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 19:51

Grizz wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

The car is a 72 Kelmark, its a replica of a Dino Ferrari. It was made up from 2 engineers around Detroit, I think 1 worked for one of the big 3. They got together, one was named Mark, and the other named Kelly (I think) They wanted to sell a kit car the average home owner could build in his garage, get parts at a salvage yard and put what ever powertrain he could adapt. I think they were only made about 5 years before Ferrari made them stop imitating them.
Yes, that's exactly what the SA-made Ferrino was, a Ferrari Dino replica, the name "Ferrino" being a combination of the two. Not sure why they were short-lived though...probably, once again, for the same reasons as the Kelmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrino

Even though you may not get too many replies, you can rest assured that MANY forum members are subscribed...keep up the good work :mrgreen:
Attachments
Ferrino.jpg
Ferrino.jpg (86.18 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

motor1

Post by motor1 » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 20:08

Awesome stuff, really enjoying this thread. Well done Grizz, one day I would like to do this as well.
Youven
2004 Mondeo 2,0
ImageImage
2002 Honda 929 Fireblade Streetfighter
ex - '94 Laser 1600
ex - '88 Sierra 3,0 LX
ex - "67 Cortina 1600 GT

member of capestowners

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 00:52

motor1 wrote:Awesome stuff, really enjoying this thread. Well done Grizz, one day I would like to do this as well.
Thank you Boet.

Soooooooo......

Back to the Tuesday afternoon.

We were headed for Ada, just beyond Oklahoma City to see Paul and Brandon and their families.

We were invited to join them for a traditional Chicasaw meal and then for the men to go out to the shop to talk trucks.

For the non-local readers, here is a short description of the Chickasaw Nation. They are pure Native American, and the invitation was an absolute honour for Martin and I, considering they thought us worthy to introduce to their families. In my personal view people often underestimate the value one can put to this sort of invitation. It has created friendships that can last a lifetime and a small insight into traditional family values that are still being maintained.

Shortly before we arrived, this road really had me chuckling. Only in America.

Arriving there, we were all excited about meeting up again. Gifts were exchanged, and the guys had got Martin and I each a 1965 and 1966 Oklahoma number plate for our trucks as display items.
Then we had an awesome dinner, chatted and eventually with heavy bellies went to the garage to chat more trucks but before that, Paul showed us the bed he had made for his daughter, using a small back window glass, after which he had scaled everything down in size to keep the proportions right. Clem had also sent her another T-Shirt which she was super pleased with.

The completed bed, in a bed... With a plaque above the head board with fender emblems representing the 64, 65, 66 year models.

The four of us posed up for a photos with Paul's NevEno plate on display.

I hope Martin has more photos to post up as I could not take much on my phone, bad light etc.

But one of the photos of 3 C10's on the drive.

Paul is building an insane truck that will be a show stopper when done.

Loads of trick mods, and an uncompromising approach to parts he wants, finishes he expects and the final vision means he will succeed.

One of the tricks I really loved is the 22" steel wheels with traditional dog dish hubcaps fitted via his own secret fitting mechanisms.

Compared to regular 15" steelies.

There will also be one of these modern seat combinations, which I massively envy....... I really, Really, REALLY would love one in my truck as they allow for various configurations, under seat storage and also are very supportive, but thinner than the originals,Mao making for more space in the cab behind the steering wheel.

Our view most of the evening, we were in and out of the shop, all three trucks and time just flew by.

Brandon is helping his son build his first truck as well, and I am sure Paul wil be building another soon for his daughter.

We carried on talking and comparing notes outside till leaving time at 11.00pm when we had to get the 75 miles cross country to Norman, another town outside of Oklahoma City, to go stay with Phil Beauchamp "Rock Tonka" and his son Austin.

We eventually got to them at 01.00am and ended up chatting, starting up trucks etc till 05.00am after sharing a it of Apple Pie Moonshine.

Could this trip get any better?

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 00:53

Can-Am ZN wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, that's exactly what the SA-made Ferrino was, a Ferrari Dino replica, the name "Ferrino" being a combination of the two. Not sure why they were short-lived though...probably, once again, for the same reasons as the Kelmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrino

Even though you may not get too many replies, you can rest assured that MANY forum members are subscribed...keep up the good work :mrgreen:

Great info, thank you for posting up.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 00:17

Right, let's see if I can do the next six hours of our U.S. Road trip before I fall asleep.

From Ada, we headed back, cross country for about 75 miles at 11.00pm......

I had an invitation from Phil on www.67-72chevytrucks.com to come and stay with him and his family when we came to do our road trip.

Phil is a man who has once again, worked hard and enjoys his hobbies to the max.

This is his one build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=409469

Driving on back roads in the dark was nerve wracking, and we felt quite guilty as the SatNav estimated time of arrival was near 01.00 in the morning.

We need not have worried.......

When we got there at one in the morning, it was coffee, tea, beer, moonshine etc.....

We started to talk cars, bikes, trucks, toys and travel. Ultimately going to bed at 05.00 after a bit of moonshine tasting.

Full sized play room inside the garage. Phil and Austin insisted we make ourselves at home.

Our room, hard to photograph, but held two double beds

Looking down from our guest suite, which included all the trappings of a 5 star hotel room including full sized jacuzzi

How many spare grilles do you need?

Garage art when grilles and number plates just aren't enough. How cool is that?

While walking around at 03.00 Phil showed s his Suburban...... Note the size of the rear tyres.

450bhp Big Block power motivates them.

And a little 150bhp shot of this blue juice made for an interesting grocery getter.

Phil started it up for us at the time too and demonstrated the electronic cutout valves with some gusto.

Not art..... Deadly serious, and in my book dead cool plate. I absolutely love the American patriotism.

Plate on Austin's daily driver truck. Did I mention before that I love these full size trucks a whole lot.

Eventually at 05.00 we headed back to the garage/shop where our suite was situated and I will leave you with the view at the bottom of the stairs..... Note the height of the lift.

I woke at 08.00 after 3 hrs sleep and went to investigate a bit further.....

More later.

Social Media