SADF: did it make you or break you? (or both)

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Moering Tool

SADF: did it make you or break you? (or both)

Post by Moering Tool » Wed 11 May 2016, 10:06

Waaay off topic. I'm a bit of an armchair psychologist, and since I am just young enough to have missed getting my draft papers, I was wondering about this after having a chat with my boss (he was a helo macky) about this.

I can't think of a better forum where these experiences are represented, and I was wondering how you would characterise your personal journey in the SAW and how it affected your character going forward in life, for better or worse.

Keeping in mind the forum rule about not engaging in politics, I am extremely interested in what you ex troepies have to say.

Thanks!
Riaan

Johann65

Re: SADF: did it make you or break you? (or both)

Post by Johann65 » Wed 11 May 2016, 11:08

My time in the SA Air Force was great! Lot of experiences!(Squadron and Bush) :D If training was offered I never said no! :mrgreen:
Became a Flight Sergeant in 4yrs and 10 months! Permanent Force! Normally takes you 12 yrs 8O
Last bush was 1971 and my wife did not recognize me when I came Home 8O
The SADF, SAP discipline and the Technical GM training together became invaluable in industry! :mrgreen:
I only left when UCAR made me an offer I could not refuse! (4 times my SAAF pay) That was 42 yrs ago! 8O
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors » Wed 11 May 2016, 18:47

I went to boarding school at the Technical School in Kroonstad. By the time I went to army I were used to brassing window catches, polishing floors, making beds square, getting an opf^%$.

Coming from the Free State, army was fun, I got to sleep late, wear my hair long, bad thing was I had to wear shoes.

Both boarding school and army helped form my character. Taught me to be self sufficient, never give up and fight for what you want. Parts of army was bad, but I prefer to remember the good parts.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Thu 12 May 2016, 09:30

Jan 1981 Army intake at 4 SAI Middelburg, spent 9 months there completed all phases of training in the infantary, lots of hectic times and lots of PT and "op voks" in that time,
I then decided to Join PF and got into the SA Air Force, spent a year in Langebaan Weg flying training school and went on to complete my trade as a qualified Avionic Armament Fitter at 40 Sqd Waterkloof, spent time at 4 Sqd as well as AFB Potch ,. went up to the border for border duty for a while did my bit etc etc and I would do it all again, Spent 5 years in the Force , Built men in those days and we ended up with a different outlook on life compared to the generation today
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Thu 12 May 2016, 10:10

Gavin RS wrote:Jan 1981 Army intake at 4 SAI Middelburg, spent 9 months there completed all phases of training in the infantary, lots of hectic times and lots of PT and "op voks" in that time,
I then decided to Join PF and got into the SA Air Force, spent a year in Langebaan Weg flying training school and went on to complete my trade as a qualified Avionic Armament Fitter at 40 Sqd Waterkloof, spent time at 4 Sqd as well as AFB Potch ,. went up to the border for border duty for a while did my bit etc etc and I would do it all again, Spent 5 years in the Force , Built men in those days and we ended up with a different outlook on life compared to the generation today
Discipline!!! The name of the game!! :D
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Chev58

Post by Chev58 » Thu 12 May 2016, 11:44

I grew up on the Weskus - Saldanha Bay and as an "immigrant" to SA(thanks to my parents) I was called up for service in 85 to 6 SAI, it was the best 2 years I never want over hahhaha, but it taught me vasbyt, respect and most of all discipline - some that is seriously lacking in the young generation of today(my own kids included).
It changed my outlook on life for the better, for sure.
58 Chevy Apache

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Thu 12 May 2016, 15:42

Chevy V8, Interesting that you went to the Army as an "Immigrant".

In '78/9 as an "Immigrant", even though I had all my papers, I was told to stay away from the SADF.

The reason being was that if I ended up on the Angolan border and was caught by the opposition, I would be dealt with as a mercenary. SADF would obviously not want this to happen.

I would of loved to go. Hearing all the stories from my mates, makes one feel that something (at the time) was missing in ones young life.

Chev58

Post by Chev58 » Thu 12 May 2016, 23:25

Well in about 1984 SANDF changed its mind and the ruling thus became, as there were so many immigrants residing in SA(and having received SA Citizenship) - serve your country or leave.
Well long story short our July 85 intake was 90% plus immigrants and most of us were english speaking an conveiniently forgot afrikaans so as to annoy the Koporaal and the Sersant met die plank snor daily as we did not understand them :lol: :lol: this resulted in more opf$ks and sien jy daai boom troep routine, this continued through basics, 2nd phase training and by the final phase we were pretty fit and toughened up and eventually ended up "cracking" the poor bugger, he went missing from the base for about 6 weeks, upon his return he was transferred elsewhere.
After this we spend the rest of our time on border duties, good times,bad times, sad times and a lot of long lasting memories.
58 Chevy Apache

First V8

Post by First V8 » Fri 13 May 2016, 07:32

A once proud SANDF & sons , now this http://mini.iol.co.za/news/politics/san ... ts-2020737
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Fri 13 May 2016, 08:40

Read that article and it is very sad. I have a friend from school and the 2 of us went into the SADF at the same time, did the same trade etc etc and he is still in the SAAF, has 6 years to go to retirement, highly qualified in his field and the stories he tells me what is happening in todays SANDF is shocking to say the least.

Anyway my opinion, if Lesotho had to attack SA with 1 hanglider and a bakkie with 10 soldiers SA would have to call ADT for assistance as our soldiers would protest or go on strike :lol:
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Social Media