zahistorics

Re: Perana wheels and V8 unknown V8 badge

Post by zahistorics » Tue 25 Oct 2016, 17:21

Disagree with this
Which bit?

74 Granada Ghia

Post by 74 Granada Ghia » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 16:57

There must be a lot of paint removing Ghia Perana lovers driving around in their 74 Granada in South Africa. I just found this 74 Ghia with the same wheels as mine. Fully chromed and shiny.
71GranadaPeranaAuto.jpg
71GranadaPeranaAuto.jpg (208.53 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
The wheels on the 1600E might have been made the way you say due to the fact that they were produced in the UK. The Perana spec (6J, GT or Sport) wheels were never a spec ordered by Ford and therefor they had to be treated after they were produced in South Africa. These wheels were not made in South Africa but sent from UK due to the restrictions in trade back in the day. If BG did not change any car cosmetically why should he waste manpower in splitting these wheels? I looked closely at mine and there are no indication of welding at a later stage after chroming. Now back to the XL Perana resting here, with the wood ornaments and the painted wheels with chrome rings. It would take a skilled Granada man about 30 minutes to remove the plastic found in the XL models and put the Ghia wood back in. If, as you suggest, BG could afford to waste man hours in splitting wheels for chroming why could he not spend 30 minutes in making the interior look much better? Are you serious? And why would a normal Perana driving man change his chrome wheels to painted ones(6J, Sport or GT) with a chrome ring. I think not.
Pictures and adds tell a slightly different thing than what physically is correct. They took what they had to get the cars out. All the cars I have seen or worked on does not always have the right parts. There were not only one supplier but many. South Africa were not an easy country to ship goods to. Very often cargo had to be offloaded in an South African friendly country to be able to reach South Africa at all. This means delay and if you are waiting for parts you will most likely use what you have regardless of adds and pictures.
Spare.jpg
This is the spare wheel. Hardly seen daylight for 44 years.
Spare.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Also I found on my series 2 coupe and seen on others as well, Peranas that is. This is fully chromed. Nice detail but not from Ford.
Servo.jpg
This is not factory spec only seen on Perana. I have seen it only on series 2 coupe.
Servo.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 3452 times

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 21:17

zahistorics wrote:
Disagree with this
Which bit?
The fact that every Granada built by BG was the same. Highly improbably at best. I doubt Ford were really all they bothered by small detail changes on cars which were never really volume sellers to begin with.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 01:32

Espen,

Sounds like you are trying to make a justification to yourself for not using the chromed wheels, because you don't like them. If you don't like them, don't fit them. Simple.

All I can say is that I was alive and well in South Africa in the 1970s when the Granada Perana was in production, and I know what I saw.

Jacques,

You misunderstand how BG and Ford worked. BG developed the Capri V8 at Ford's request. Built three prototypes in different stages of tune, slow, medium and fast. Ford product development fully tested all three. The slow was too close to the V6 in performance. The fast was potentially too much of a risk to put in the hands of the man in the street. Ford chose the medium tune.

With the Granada the project started differently. BG could see that he could edit: not continue with his then current Peranas. The Capri was ending production in ZA. Ford was about to launch their own V6 Cortina in ZA. BG imported a Granada from the UK right after they were launched in the UK. He engineered the V8 and presented it to Ford South Africa. They liked it, and understood BGs rationale. Then followed the same Ford type test and approval exercise as the Capri. The Perana V8 was launched at the same time as the rest of the Granada range in South Africa.

In both cases the cars were built in PE as Peranas. They were shipped to BG who finished off the product for Ford. They were then sold through Ford dealerships with Ford factory warrantees. They were series production cars and were not customer after market conversions. As a Ford type approved car they would have had to stick to a specification. There is no doubt that some customers customised their cars, of both ranges, but that was after manufacture.

74 Granada Ghia

Post by 74 Granada Ghia » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 08:58

So much writing and you still have not understood my question. I do not like them but as I have mentioned numerous times, if they came with the car they stay on it.

Reading your previous response and comments in other threads in here regarding the Granada you obviously needed a pair of good glasses when you lived among them back then.

No further comment from you is needed on the subject since your ship is clearly not well ballasted.

sidedraught

Post by sidedraught » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:44

74 Granada Ghia wrote:So much writing and you still have not understood my question. I do not like them but as I have mentioned numerous times, if they came with the car they stay on it.

Reading your previous response and comments in other threads in here regarding the Granada you obviously needed a pair of good glasses when you lived among them back then.

No further comment from you is needed on the subject since your ship is clearly not well ballasted.
Wow, those are fighting words. 8O

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:40

zahistorics wrote:Espen,

Sounds like you are trying to make a justification to yourself for not using the chromed wheels, because you don't like them. If you don't like them, don't fit them. Simple.

All I can say is that I was alive and well in South Africa in the 1970s when the Granada Perana was in production, and I know what I saw.

Jacques,

You misunderstand how BG and Ford worked. BG developed the Capri V8 at Ford's request. Built three prototypes in different stages of tune, slow, medium and fast. Ford product development fully tested all three. The slow was too close to the V6 in performance. The fast was potentially too much of a risk to put in the hands of the man in the street. Ford chose the medium tune.

With the Granada the project started differently. BG could see that he could continue with his then current Peranas. The Capri was ending production in ZA. Ford was about to launch their own V6 Cortina in ZA. BG imported a Granada from the UK right after they were launched in the UK. He engineered the V8 and presented it to Ford South Africa. They liked it, and understood BGs rationale. Then followed the same Ford type test and approval exercise as the Capri. The Perana V8 was launched at the same time as the rest of the Granada range in South Africa.

In both cases the cars were built in PE as Peranas. They were shipped to BG who finished off the product for Ford. They were then sold through Ford dealerships with Ford factory warrantees. They were series production cars and were not customer after market conversions. As a Ford type approved car they would have had to stick to a specification. There is no doubt that some customers customised their cars, of both ranges, but that was after manufacture.
You and I both know that two different tunes of Capri Perana were offered, the hydraulic lifter cam and the solid lifter cam. In addition certain cars did not have the high rise muscle power manifold. In addition to that there were different wheels offered, the more mini lite style and of course the chromed Rostyle's.

My point not every car was the same and BG himself sold cars so I'd wager its was quite possible for a customer to have walked into BG Motors and requested his Granada to have chrome wheels and the car was fitted with them. I don't consider that to be aftermarket.

To further confuse issues Ford SA was tied up with Meissner at the time and marked a large variety of go faster items.

Ultimately my point is there is a lot of grey area here and its not quite as cut and dried at it may seem.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 20:11

..... you obviously needed a pair of good glasses when you lived among them back then. No further comment from you is needed on the subject since your ship is clearly not well ballasted.
Epsen, that is not how you learn things.

Your question amongst everything you have written was: "Are chrome wheels the correct wheels for a Granada Perana?"

My answer, based on my observations when the cars were in production, and lots of research since is: "Yes chrome wheels, but with painted blackouts, are the correct wheels for a Granada Perana"

Then you go into ever more complicated descriptions and reasons, complete with inaccuracies and including some disjointed stuff about trade embargos, why you think they are not. (Note: The cast wheels are Ronal, not Ronald)

You have my opinion, based on far more than you have access to.

You may still disagree, but you have no justification for resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Accept it, or don't. Put your chrome wheels on or not. I don't care. We don't care. Just be happy.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 20:17

You and I both know that two different tunes of Capri Perana were offered, the hydraulic lifter cam and the solid lifter cam. In addition certain cars did not have the high rise muscle power manifold. In addition to that there were different wheels offered, the more mini lite style and of course the chromed Rostyle's.
Do you have any supporting evidence for this claim?

74 Granada Ghia

Post by 74 Granada Ghia » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 20:52

Is there someone who are in the position to delete this thread? It is getting out of hand and getting us nowhere.

I will think twice before I ask anything in here again.

If your knowledge and observations are so great as you claim all this should not even have been happening.

Ronal is aluminum wheels, that`s not an observation that`s a fact.

Social Media