Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
werner

" Rebody" Legal ?

Post by werner » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 20:41

Looking at the granada "perana" post of me earlier, it looks like the car had a rebody at some stage from the earlier posts given by IndianaJones. Could be that the only thing remaining from the original car is the badges.

This brings me to the question, how legal is a rebody. May one change the ID plates?

Back in the late 90's my golf was badly damaged when an estate agent, talking on her phone and going through her papers on the passenger seat, parked her kadett into me. I found a very good body , no inner, glass or engine gearbox diff and no rust for a good price and wanted to transfer every thing to the new body. On questioning it at the traffic department, I got a big no. The moment I tamper with the tags, it is illegal. Did things change.

IndianaJones

Re: " Rebody" Legal ?

Post by IndianaJones » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 21:23

Werner, I think you meant the Cortina, and in that case I suspect the black car and orange car is one and the same, it is just somebody's idea of a restoration is way off base.
AFAIK removing tags is still illegal.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 03:22

The moment I tamper with the tags, it is illegal.
This is correct.

Fred W B

Post by Fred W B » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 12:31

In Motorsport with rally cars etc a badly damaged car might be "reshelled" to repair it, in Europe with significant cars provided the continuous chain of ownership is properly documented this is accepted as the original car with a new shell.

So in SA with a road registered car is this not possible then, you would have to write off the original road registered identity and start over with a new identity?

Regards

Fred W B

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 12:56

Fred W B wrote:In Motorsport with rally cars etc a badly damaged car might be "reshelled" to repair it, in Europe with significant cars provided the continuous chain of ownership is properly documented this is accepted as the original car with a new shell.
So in SA with a road registered car is this not possible then, you would have to write off the original road registered identity and start over with a new identity?
Regards Fred W B
Hullo Fred,
You are right! :D About 15 yrs ago Mdudusi Fairbridge ******** had his Nissan Hardbody receive a new cab section after he had a major smash! The cab section was beyond repair, :mrgreen: He wanted a new Hardbody but the company insurance decided otherwise! This means that the insurance has a major role to play in the decision making!! 8O We used to work together! :mrgreen:
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 21:20

Hello Fred! Long time no see :)

A rebody is legal. Moving tabs and stamping from one to another never is.

How the rebody is treated exactly regarding registration varies country by country.

In the UK, if you use a bare shell (only) of exactly the same year, or a totally brand new shell, you car retains its identity, legally considered to be the same car with the same number plate. Different year second hand shell then you are likely to end up with a 'Q' number plate, used for cars with parts from multiple donors of multiple years.

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 09:48

Here in the UK you can buy a car shell or a bike frame and rebuild it as long as you have the V5 registration document that matches the VIN stamped on the chassis. The rebuilt vehicle will retain the number plate on the V5 unless you choose to change it for a personal plate.
The tags from your old vehicle cannot be transferred as John said.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

werner

Post by werner » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 21:21

Thanks for the replies every one.

Makes one think to be careful if one buys a second hand car privately.

Social Media