Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Rynothelion

Stock or custom and why?

Post by Rynothelion » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 09:21

So just like the heading says, would you if you can get the car you want, keep it in stock original condition or mabe restore it to a factory original condition, or would you build it like you want to, but most importantly I would like to know why???

Like I've said previously I might( almost 100% if the price is right) be getting a factory original Perana and can am, but I do think the can am has been worked on...so I'm thinking of keeping one or both in stock original form, or build them like I want them to be, to showcar spec, or one and one????

It's a hard decision for me as I've never driven either car or a car so old, I'm use to the new modern cars with everything comfortable, aircon and so...

ZA Perana

Re: Stock or custom and why?

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:22

Rynothelion wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 09:21
So just like the heading says, would you if you can get the car you want, keep it in stock original condition or mabe restore it to a factory original condition, or would you build it like you want to, but most importantly I would like to know why???

Like I've said previously I might( almost 100% if the price is right) be getting a factory original Perana and can am, but I do think the can am has been worked on...so I'm thinking of keeping one or both in stock original form, or build them like I want them to be, to showcar spec, or one and one????

It's a hard decision for me as I've never driven either car or a car so old, I'm use to the new modern cars with everything comfortable, aircon and so...
Please, please, If either car is original then leave it that way. Modifications are fine if there period specific and reversible.

I don't want to be sarcastic but "building like I want them to be" is a superb way of eroding the value of the car. If its unrestored and you have never done a restoration then leave it as so, far too many cars get restored only to be stripped and sold in boxes with half the parts missing because its far easier to strip than it is to re assemble.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Rynothelion

Post by Rynothelion » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:31

No you don't understand me correctly, by saying building it, I mean professionally by someone that can , and spending say 200-300k on the car and making it the way I would imagine it.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:47

Rynothelion wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:31
No you don't understand me correctly, by saying building it, I mean professionally by someone that can , and spending say 200-300k on the car and making it the way I would imagine it.
Even worse idea in my opinion.

Why would you take an original iconic SA special and customize it?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Rynothelion

Post by Rynothelion » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 13:31

Why wouldn't you want to? Why be contempt with 50year old suspension and brakes and no aircon just because the car came like that... Customizing a car is not always the end of the car, I'm 33 years old and love the way a true muscle car looks and sounds, but if I can improve it why not, that's what I'm after, just a discussion on why or why not...

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 13:46

Rynothelion wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 13:31
Why wouldn't you want to? Why be contempt with 50year old suspension and brakes and no aircon just because the car came like that... Customizing a car is not always the end of the car, I'm 33 years old and love the way a true muscle car looks and sounds, but if I can improve it why not, that's what I'm after, just a discussion on why or why not...
100 Can Am's wre built, can you care to guess how many are original? Not many, in fact I'd put that number at perhaps no more than 12. The real worth in rare muscle cars is in their originality and modification detract significantly from that.

However lets see pictures of these original cars and perhaps then it would be easier for us to comment?

I know I am being harsh but I have seen so many Capri's in particular pretty much destroyed from an originality point of view by completely senseless customisation.

For what you want to do a replica is a better option in my view.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Rynothelion

Post by Rynothelion » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 14:16

ok let me go take some pics, I know for sure the yellow perana is 100% original and stock, I'll have to check the can-am... Will post them before the weekend and we go from there...

Scorpionman

Post by Scorpionman » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 14:47

If the Capri or Can-am is true and stock leave it as it is. By chopping and changing stuff you will ruin a great car.

If you want to built something the way you want it then by all means start with a normal 1.6/2.0 Capri or Firenza 2 door shell.

There are far too few original cars left to canabilise it to make a car that suites you.
1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe
1975 Fiat 132 GLS

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 15:22

Scorpionman wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 14:47
If the Capri or Can-am is true and stock leave it as it is. By chopping and changing stuff you will ruin a great car.

If you want to built something the way you want it then by all means start with a normal 1.6/2.0 Capri or Firenza 2 door shell.

There are far too few original cars left to canabilise it to make a car that suites you.
Agree.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Waterhond

Post by Waterhond » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:42

This thread might be great...

Good points on both sides.

For instance..trying to get pink rods for a CanAm engine...just to be original ?

Or...having a hairy ride with the original suspension...in the search of originality ?

Makes me think of the age old wines people collect, keeping them locked up in a cellar, just to sell them at a later stage to someone that is prepared to pay more for it.....

Social Media