SAPPHIRE V8

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
User avatar
jlebenon
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 11:48
Location: fourways,jhb

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by jlebenon » Mon 22 Jan 2018, 13:44

And Grosvenor used cosworth 260km/h clocks as opposed to 240km/h
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

User avatar
ZA Perana
Posts: 7289
Joined: Sun 15 Jul 2007, 18:01
Location: Cape Town

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 22 Jan 2018, 14:51

jlebenon wrote:
Fri 19 Jan 2018, 19:10
dodnt the JT also have the wheels and kit ?
Not sure they did. Info on the JT cars is very scarce and I doubt too many were made.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:45

IndianaJones wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:09
That is a very cool car, I actually prefer them to the Sierra XR8.

There were a few garages/dealers that did V8 conversions on Sierra's and Sapphire's during their heyday.
The Novel Ford (Paarl) conversions were the most numerous in the Cape provinces.

I'm still not certain of assumption that marine spec engines were bought to do these conversions with, there might be a possibility that with decoding engine and block casting numbers, one could more clearly define the origins of the engines used by the dealerships to do these conversions.

I saw your thread requesting a Cosworth bumper. I'm not so sure the Novel cars were fitted with them, I think perhaps only the Geoff Mortimer/Basil Green Ford 2.0L Turbo Cosworth converted cars, used those bumpers, but not sure.
A while ago I posted about a burgundy Novel Ford Sapphire that was for sale in Namibia, compare the bumper on that car, as I think that one might have been a very original example.
https://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum ... 43&t=23471
If there is a member here that have a collection of CAR magazines and want to share, they road tested a Novel Ford Sapphire in the September 1991 issue.

You should also contact member "Gavin RS", I think he is quite a good source of info on these dealer converted V8 Sapphires.
Hey thanks yes i know they didnt came with the cosworth bumper but i would like to fit one on the car for now

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:46

ZA Perana wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:45
IndianaJones wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:09
That is a very cool car, I actually prefer them to the Sierra XR8.

There were a few garages/dealers that did V8 conversions on Sierra's and Sapphire's during their heyday.
The Novel Ford (Paarl) conversions were the most numerous in the Cape provinces.

I'm still not certain of assumption that marine spec engines were bought to do these conversions with, there might be a possibility that with decoding engine and block casting numbers, one could more clearly define the origins of the engines used by the dealerships to do these conversions.

I saw your thread requesting a Cosworth bumper. I'm not so sure the Novel cars were fitted with them, I think perhaps only the Geoff Mortimer/Basil Green Ford 2.0L Turbo Cosworth converted cars, used those bumpers, but not sure.
A while ago I posted about a burgundy Novel Ford Sapphire that was for sale in Namibia, compare the bumper on that car, as I think that one might have been a very original example.
https://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum ... 43&t=23471
If there is a member here that have a collection of CAR magazines and want to share, they road tested a Novel Ford Sapphire in the September 1991 issue.

You should also contact member "Gavin RS", I think he is quite a good source of info on these dealer converted V8 Sapphires.
The Novel cars were sold with the full Cosworth body kit which is what makes them to me the most sort after of all the Sapphire V8 conversions, I will try find the CAR magazine road test.
i would appreciate it this car is a 1992 model as registered on papers

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:49

ZA Perana wrote:
Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:00
Maverick wrote:
Fri 19 Jan 2018, 09:08
Hi guys,

i owned a Grosvernor Ford V8 Sapphire back in 2000-2001. sadly dont have any pics left.

I typed up a long post yesterday and when I hit the post button, it bombed.

so let me try again with a shorter version.

1) The V8 Sapphire was only built by Grosvernor and Novel Ford, in Pinetown and Paarl respectively. I had a Grosvernor one.
2) All cars were fitted with Ford V8 302 Windsor crate motors from the US.
3) No automatic versions were made, if it's auto, then its a conversion. All cars were fitted with the Borg Warner T5 gearboxes.
4) All legitimate cars were fitted with a 3.08 final drive in the diff, thats the one telling point to ascertain whether the car is legit or a conversion. if it has the standard 3,0L final drive (i think it's 3.23 IIRC?) then it's a backyard job.
5) Clutch was a big achilles heel on these cars. Some were fitted with proper V8 clutches, others were fitted with 3.0 V6 clutches, the latter doesnt last.
6) There are quite a few replicas/conversions/backyard jobbies punted as originals around.
7) Almost all the legitimate ones were fitted with Cosworth wheels, but no bodykit or cosworth front bumper. The body was standard 3.0.
The one in the pic above has the bod kit...
Thats correct the car have the cosworth back bumper,side skirts and boot spoiler but not the front bumper tho

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:51

Shauns wrote:
Fri 19 Jan 2018, 13:49
A few years back I called Novel Ford and they confirmed the cars were fitted with a local bumper . They were extremely helpful and even sent me the part number. 91BB17762EA .This bumper is no longer available from Ford S.A.
Also confirmed the 35 Novel cars had the engine pushed slightly back and had a full size water pump. This meant some massaging of the firewall as well.
thank you thats correct the motor sits fairly backwards

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:52

jlebenon wrote:
Mon 22 Jan 2018, 13:44
And Grosvenor used cosworth 260km/h clocks as opposed to 240km/h
nope this one have 240km/h clocks

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:55

One thing i dont understand is if you look at the spec's of this car
160kw 380nm with a top speed of 233km/h

But we had a few run ins with german spec M3 which power figures is way much more then the V8.
But on the road the M3 couldnt catch us from pull away and the V8 was much more aggressive on the road.

Can one of you maybe explain why tho'

Regards

User avatar
ZA Perana
Posts: 7289
Joined: Sun 15 Jul 2007, 18:01
Location: Cape Town

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:16

twincam nc wrote:
Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:55
One thing i dont understand is if you look at the spec's of this car
160kw 380nm with a top speed of 233km/h

But we had a few run ins with german spec M3 which power figures is way much more then the V8.
But on the road the M3 couldnt catch us from pull away and the V8 was much more aggressive on the road.

Can one of you maybe explain why tho'

Regards
Its fairly easy to fit another cam and you tend to get a bit more power, also the Sapphire I reckon is lighter than any generation of M3 which probably helps acceleration.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

twincam nc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:23

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:18

ZA Perana wrote:
Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:16
twincam nc wrote:
Fri 26 Jan 2018, 09:55
One thing i dont understand is if you look at the spec's of this car
160kw 380nm with a top speed of 233km/h

But we had a few run ins with german spec M3 which power figures is way much more then the V8.
But on the road the M3 couldnt catch us from pull away and the V8 was much more aggressive on the road.

Can one of you maybe explain why tho'

Regards
Its fairly easy to fit another cam and you tend to get a bit more power, also the Sapphire I reckon is lighter than any generation of M3 which probably helps acceleration.
ohk i see

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests