When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Rynothelion

Can-am market value

Post by Rynothelion » Wed 09 May 2018, 17:53

What's up?

So I just want to know from people that know a lot more then me on this forum...

I can get a can-am for a price and would like to know the value of these cars at the moment. I know it's a willing seller willing buyer thing and there are a lot of variables to consider, so I'll share the info I have on the car, and go from there...

The car is a number matching car, with body, enjin and gearbox... Unfortunately the car has had its days on the strip with a different enjin and box but those are out and the original being put back in. The car has been resprayed and has had some restoration, the wheels are still original, so as far as I know which is not a lot, most of the original parts are there and on the car. I can even get the original purchase slip from the dealer with the car, I believe it to be a 2 owner car...

So a car like this, I know it's hard to say and guess without seeing it and and and....

Is 400k reasonable or absurd? Would just like to know where to start my negotiations...

Same goes for a capri perana, similar lvl of car if you could call it that, basically a stock old car with some restoration done to it... 300k?

Rynothelion

Re: Can-am market value

Post by Rynothelion » Wed 09 May 2018, 20:03

Anyone on this forum stay in the Westrand that has vast knowledge on can-ams and Capri peranas?
Please get in touch with me as I can arrange that we drive and look at both the cars, so I can get good and legitimate input on the vehicles...please?

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Wed 09 May 2018, 20:49

I am no expert on Can ams but I must say I can kick myself for not buying one 2 years ago at R250k

There can’t be more than 25 - 30 real ones still
Out there.

What I can also tell you is the market is sooooo flat.

If the guy needs to sell, there can’t be many people beating down his door to pay R400k for a SA car that needs plenty work.

So in my rather ‘uneducated’ opinion if you have an open Cheque book and have to have it pay the man....

But if you are of more sound mind an offer in the R320k mark should get his attention....
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 09 May 2018, 21:43

Rynothelion wrote:
Wed 09 May 2018, 17:53
What's up?

So I just want to know from people that know a lot more then me on this forum...

I can get a can-am for a price and would like to know the value of these cars at the moment. I know it's a willing seller willing buyer thing and there are a lot of variables to consider, so I'll share the info I have on the car, and go from there...

The car is a number matching car, with body, enjin and gearbox... Unfortunately the car has had its days on the strip with a different enjin and box but those are out and the original being put back in. The car has been resprayed and has had some restoration, the wheels are still original, so as far as I know which is not a lot, most of the original parts are there and on the car. I can even get the original purchase slip from the dealer with the car, I believe it to be a 2 owner car...

So a car like this, I know it's hard to say and guess without seeing it and and and....

Is 400k reasonable or absurd? Would just like to know where to start my negotiations...

Same goes for a capri perana, similar lvl of car if you could call it that, basically a stock old car with some restoration done to it... 300k?
Value is always defined as what the next person is prepared to say and without seeing pictures it is hard to say. You posted pictures of the Capri and based on those I would say R300k or thereabout is fair depending on year model.

One thing to consider the value of these car is in being in original/period correct condition. Deviations from that can negatively effect value.

As for numbers matching on a Can Am...very rare indeed, do you mean numbers matching to the original paperwork? How much restoration has it had, how many of the original parts are still there? Does it drive? Has it been re sprayed the correct colour? If you can take pictures of the car I would be happy to help where I can.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ters

Post by ters » Thu 10 May 2018, 06:06

Member jlebenon is in the area?

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Rynothelion

Post by Rynothelion » Thu 10 May 2018, 06:11

Ok great, I will get as much information and picture as possible and start sharing it.

Any forum member stay in the Westrand with one of these cars that's as close to original as possible that I can view and compare? I know of a can-am very close to me, but don't know the guy personally, I'll see if I can go chat to him and look at his car one day, any Capri guys?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 10 May 2018, 07:15

Rynothelion wrote:
Thu 10 May 2018, 06:11
Ok great, I will get as much information and picture as possible and start sharing it.

Any forum member stay in the Westrand with one of these cars that's as close to original as possible that I can view and compare? I know of a can-am very close to me, but don't know the guy personally, I'll see if I can go chat to him and look at his car one day, any Capri guys?
With due respect, especially in the case of the Can Am, many people say they are original, only to find such things like turbo 350 gearboxes, 350 engines, modified interiors. Very, very few people have actually seen a 100% original Can Am.

With both of these cars its about the level of detail has a direct effect on perceived value.

If this car has been drag raced chances are it might not have its original diff, in fact those chances are very high indeed.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Rynothelion

Post by Rynothelion » Thu 10 May 2018, 08:07

thats exactly my thinking, perceived value and actual value are 2 different things...

Rynothelion

Post by Rynothelion » Thu 10 May 2018, 08:09

i know its matching numbers, engine gearbox and body, but the rest I dont, also I don't have enough knowledge to know all the bits and pieces...but I'll get all the info...

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 10 May 2018, 11:25

Rynothelion wrote:
Thu 10 May 2018, 08:09
i know its matching numbers, engine gearbox and body, but the rest I dont, also I don't have enough knowledge to know all the bits and pieces...but I'll get all the info...
Matching numbers in what sense, sorry to hark on about this but the reality is its next to impossible to determine matching numbers on a Can Am, especially gearbox.

From what you have told me I would deduct for re spray because 99.9% of time the colour is wrong and when the body is stripped the detail is lost. Especially in certain critical areas.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Social Media