When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
barry

Re: Ripped off!

Post by barry » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 06:04

Doug & Graeme - name them please!

There is a line that shouldn't be crossed in terms of libel etc, but simply pointing out the facts (as well as informing the outfit that you are naming them, and offering right of reply) without getting into name calling etc is fine.
The people named may very well be trying to build up a reputable business, and so should be afforded the chance to respond and make good. There's always two sides to a story. There's also plenty scary shit out there.
We really all need to do this kind of thing to raise the generally appalling standards that are out there, or at least scare off the cowboys and prevent more people getting burnt.
just because you welded it - doesn't mean it's welded......

Doug Hirkham

Post by Doug Hirkham » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:10

Sorry Barry -
I have named my guy and warned individual forum members so often I thought you would have seen it. He is Nasser Essop from a company that changes names regularly, situated at the bottom end of Transvaal Street in Paarden Island. He can paint, but the prep work is frightening and delivery times run into years. Plus he is a con artist and a liar.

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 10:15

3 issues here:

1st off all paying what you paid and not actully viewing the car prior to payment is inviting trouble, it is an old car after all ALSO with all the scams going on online people should be more careful. even if you import a car, and not view it you are going to land yourself in the same trouble again!

2ndly getting you buddy to check it out, if he actually knew what to look for he could have saved you the pain of buying a piece of junk....never trust other peoples judgement.

3rdly you need to name the guy, and divulge his details on car forums so he he cannot rip anyone off anymore.
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 08:38

I would name the shame but feel that because it was my mate that got ripped off and not me I think
It would be unfair but if it was me then it would be a different story.Most of the cars I tend to buy are
basket cases that need restoration work which gets out of hand because the place looks like a scrap
yard with nothing that goes.I have stopped buying cars now and I am focusing on what I have.It becomes
to much and you get depressed at the sight of all these non runners that need work.I was on the verge of
selling the lot and buying a Range Rover but have now decided that I am hooked and will never be able
to replace what I have so nothing is for sale once again.
Cheers
Graeme
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

Clint

Post by Clint » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 10:04

Graeme wrote:I was on the verge of selling the lot and buying a Range Rover
those Range Rovers are VERY NICE Graeme & I'm sure your cheap, scrap, non-runners will find good homes here................ :twisted: ;) :lol: :lol:

Clint

Post by Clint » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 10:08

I'm with Barry on this one, we need to list & name these bastards.......:evil:

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 10:39

Graeme wrote:I would name the shame but feel that because it was my mate that got ripped off and not me I think
It would be unfair but if it was me then it would be a different story.Most of the cars I tend to buy are
basket cases that need restoration work which gets out of hand because the place looks like a scrap
yard with nothing that goes.I have stopped buying cars now and I am focusing on what I have.It becomes
to much and you get depressed at the sight of all these non runners that need work.I was on the verge of
selling the lot and buying a Range Rover but have now decided that I am hooked and will never be able
to replace what I have so nothing is for sale once again.
Cheers
Graeme
Graeme - name him - just say the truth - you can't be sued or whatever for saying provable truth. (unless you live in PC Britain!!)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

tld

Post by tld » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 12:53

I would like to start off with that I am an avid fan of this site and visit it on a daily basis but only post anything if I feel it is of real value , and as far as this particular topic is concerned I feel I do need to say something . As far as there being a young dealer in Cape Town , there are only one or two and if it is the more prolific one I feel I need to step in .

I have had numerous dealings with him and have never had an issue with him , he has always been upfront and forthright when it comes to any car he has sold me or has sold on my behalf and if there were any issues that had to be sorted he was always sure to let me know about them so if there is any naming and shaming to be done I feel that both sides of this particular story need to be heard before anyone tarnishes the others name .

The other thing is that when I buy a new car and it is out of town I am allways sure to have some one go and take a look at it for me , as the boere say , daar is nie pille vir dom gyt nie . I was once stupid enough to buy a car sight unseen and took the guys word for it and landed up coming short .

So please lets make sure we get both sides of this story before we go on

tld

Post by tld » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 12:53

Maybe you should ask you friend if the guy he bought the car from told him if there was any money to be spent on the car before he bought

Clint

Post by Clint » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 13:17

I don't think that a list of "name & shame" would stop anyone on this forum from buying anything from a named supplier. If he has what you want at the right price, you're still going to buy it. But it will give you a heads up to at least be awake when dealing with them. If another member has a better dealing with a named supplier they could always post a favourable remark. Maybe such a list would give suppliers in this industry an incentive to give a better, more constant service. :D

Social Media