Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
ZA Perana

Famous Dealers and Garages.

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 26 Jan 2008, 21:53

Thought this thread might be interesting to discuss, the USA has a big heritage with some famous dealers like: Yenko Chevrolet which was based in Cannonsberg Pennsylvania: creater of the Yenko 427 Camaros and Chevelles, and seller of the COPO cars.

Fred Gibb Chevrolet based in Iilonois, Fred Gibb and COPO mananger Vince Piggins were responsible for the monsterous 427 Camaro with the all alloy engine.

Or how about Nickey Chevrolet, a dealer that in 1960 had a 200 000 sq foot dealership, the largest perforance Chev dealer anywhere.

The most famous Pontiact dealership being Royal Pontiac, creater of the Royal Bobcat.

Here in SA we had Basil Green Motors, very much in the mould of Yenko, Grovenor Ford, also creater of specials, Grosvenor Ford in Natal.

Novel Ford in Paarl, creater of the Sapphire V8. Of the general purpose side Cape Town had Windsor Garage, a place I went to for the first time the other day, one can feel the history....

There must be others, anyone want to chime in with stories....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Re: Famous Dealers and Garages.

Post by zahistorics » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 11:17

Grosvenor Motors - First Perana dealers after Basil Green. Spnsored quite a few racecars.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 11:57

There was Donford run by the famous Donald Philps who was so prominent in racing single seaters in the late 50's and into the 60's. Famous for his Cooper T43 Climax. I think Donford may have become SelFord who sponsored Peter Gough in the all conquering Capri Perana V8 at Killarney.

Of course Meissner Motors must be one of the most famous!

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 12:02

Hmmm, thinking about it. Meissner was not a dealer but was a Shell garage with some hot things happening in the workshop at the back.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 01 Feb 2008, 19:34

Killarney Racer wrote: Hmmm, thinking about it. Meissner was not a dealer but was a Shell garage with some hot things happening in the workshop at the back.

Didnt even think of Meissner....am assuming that Shell Garage is still there today, the one on Koeberg Road? I might be wrong but have always wondered if that was where the famous Dart Service Station was...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Tue 05 Feb 2008, 15:18

The Meissner setup was actually on Marine Drive in Paarden Island (looking out to the sea), the next main road below Koeberg. I stand to be corrected but I think it was called Dart Service Station and not Meissner. That of course would make sense as he was one of the three who designed and built the Dart. But the Dart activities did not take place on the same site as Dart SS. They had a warehouse also in Paarden Island.

The only car I remember racing with Dart Service Station on the side was Koos Swanepoel's very hot Anglia who made everyone else in Saloon Car Racing skrik until the Lotus Cortinas came along!! It was claimed to be the quickest in the world at the time.

Social Media