Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Boss302

Capri Perana Bodies

Post by Boss302 » Wed 17 Mar 2010, 12:02

Apologies if this subject has been debated before but what Capri bodies were used for the BG Perana. I understand 1600 bodies were used for the later Perana Rs but what went before.

I have a friend in NZ who has a 70s model, BG number below 100. It is defenitely a full 3 ltr shell with the longer chassis stiffening at the bottom of the suspension turret and the raised portion on the slam panel. It also has the two reverser lights on the rear valance.

See attached pic taken from a magazine article in late 71, Perana has no reversers, suggesting a possible 1600 shell.

Two Perana Capris here in the UK one mid 71 Bg number between 100 and 160 and has the early smaller chassis stiffeners and flat slam panel, another late 72 BG number over 300 and body exactly the same as above. ( all correct tags) suggesting again originally 1600/2000

Two others, both mid 72 and BG numbers in the 200s with all the correct tags and definetely confirmed as full 3 ltr shells. Why would the later car above (300) be on an earlier type of shell. (History known and not a rebody)

Question: Did Bg use any type of shell he could get his hands on at the time, 1600/2000/3000 for the Perana. When did the 3000 ltr shell come out in SA and where the early SA 3 ltr shells different in the chassis stiffening and no reverser lights from the European shell.

Somebody suggested that customers turned up with their 1600/2000 Capris and asked BG to make them a Perana, any truth in this.

Cheers
boss
TECHNICAR JAN 1971.jpg
TECHNICAR JAN 1971.jpg (11.33 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

woblzdesign

Re: Capri Perana Bodies

Post by woblzdesign » Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:54

i would guess that either it was clients who brought in their own cars, or maybe there was a shortage of 3Ltr shells?
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 20 Mar 2010, 16:37

Boss302 wrote:Apologies if this subject has been debated before but what Capri bodies were used for the BG Perana. I understand 1600 bodies were used for the later Perana Rs but what went before.

I have a friend in NZ who has a 70s model, BG number below 100. It is defenitely a full 3 ltr shell with the longer chassis stiffening at the bottom of the suspension turret and the raised portion on the slam panel. It also has the two reverser lights on the rear valance.

See attached pic taken from a magazine article in late 71, Perana has no reversers, suggesting a possible 1600 shell.

Two Perana Capris here in the UK one mid 71 Bg number between 100 and 160 and has the early smaller chassis stiffeners and flat slam panel, another late 72 BG number over 300 and body exactly the same as above. ( all correct tags) suggesting again originally 1600/2000

Two others, both mid 72 and BG numbers in the 200s with all the correct tags and definetely confirmed as full 3 ltr shells. Why would the later car above (300) be on an earlier type of shell. (History known and not a rebody)

Question: Did Bg use any type of shell he could get his hands on at the time, 1600/2000/3000 for the Perana. When did the 3000 ltr shell come out in SA and where the early SA 3 ltr shells different in the chassis stiffening and no reverser lights from the European shell.

Somebody suggested that customers turned up with their 1600/2000 Capris and asked BG to make them a Perana, any truth in this.

Cheers
boss
TECHNICAR JAN 1971.jpg
Interesting post and I dont think there is a right or a wrong answer to this and the real reason for the differences will probably never be known. However I think one needs to treat any early low number car with a 1600 or 2lt body with a degree of suspicion. The 3 liter became availible in mid 1970, June or July.

Great picture!
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Sat 20 Mar 2010, 19:34

also, the 3ltr v6 peranas where built on 1600/2000 bodies!
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

kiwicapri

Post by kiwicapri » Sat 20 Mar 2010, 22:28

From waht I understand, and the resesearch I have done, the South African bodies were different to those used in the UK and other countries. Have a look at the battery tray for a start. They are narrow in the SA body. All 3.0 shells in the UK have a shorter, wider battery tray, pushed futher forward. The inner LH wing on all SA cars have no indentaion for a fatter battery. All UK and Auatralian cars did in a 3.0. early SA 3.0 cars only have 1600GT cahssis brces, UK cars had full chassis braces.I have seen 2 early genuine Perana bodys, and several latter ones, and they are different.from late 72 on, it gets very cloudy, and this is well documented, SA used any shell they could to build a Capri/Perana etc. the production of Pre Facelift Mk1 shells stoped at the end of August 1972 in the UK to make way for the 73 facelift version.SA did not get a facelift, nor did Australia.

Yes all SA 3.0/Perana shells had the same GT strengthing under the wings at the top of the tower, and the triangulated piece in the top corners where the inner wings meet the bulkhead, but there are other suttle diffrences from a 1969/70 and a 71/72 shell.

One well debated theriory is that SA got a basic shell, and they made it either a 3.0/2.0 or 1.6. Pretty easy to drill a few holes, and add a 3 bolt crossmemeber.

My 5 cents..........................................

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 25 Mar 2010, 02:25

I agree with Wayne - South African shells are different from European shells. Other differences are seat belt mountings - On SA cars the 'top' seatbelt mount is on the back side panel more or less where the rear ashtray is on a European car. B post is much thinner.

Capri Perana shells were all sourced directly from Ford prepped for the BG conversion - hence the word Perana on the Ford installed plate under the seat. Capri Peranas used 3000 XL shells except reputedly right at the end of production (1973) the R Pack Perana used 1600 (XLR?) shells - but I have no firm info on this one way or the other, have never seen one, only ever seen one picture in the advert.

Every original Perana that I have seen has had a 3000 shell - evidenced by corner braces, different brake pipe routing and the Ford underbonnet plate 3 litre engine code.

BG told me that he did not do any 'customer conversions' on existing non-Ford sourced cars.

Boss302

Post by Boss302 » Thu 25 Mar 2010, 16:45

John

On that basis and what Wayne says both the car in Hampshire (71) and the ex one in Colchester (73) could be early SA 3.0 shells.

If so why the changes to European spec shells (chassis stiffeners etc) halfway through the production.

Cheers

Social Media