Sapphire Cosworth

Any discussions about the history of the road going cars
Druss

Sapphire Cosworth

Post by Druss » Mon 01 Oct 2007, 14:29

Hi guys,

I would like to know if anybody could help me with some info on the authentication of a Sapphire Cosworth. A friend of mine knows of a silver car possibly up for sale, but I don't know enough to say it’s an original. The rear badging has been removed and it also doesn’t have those little wipers on the headlights. In the engine bay everything seems to be there to suggest that it's an original. Will the ID tags have special Cosworth wording? If by chance it is a original Basil Green build Cosworth (one of the 12, in my dreams) , how would I authenticate that?

Gavin since you own a Cosworth, could you please help me with some identifiable characteristics.

Thanks for the trouble,
Stephan.

Gavin RS

Re: Sapphire Cosworth

Post by Gavin RS » Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:33

Hi

Sorry to only answer now, been hectic this last week

I doubt it is an import as it will then have a chassis plate from Europe with a 17 digit VIN number. MPH Speedo marked to 170mph, Recaro seats,wipers on Headlights,etc etc, If I get al the details I can tell you what it is.

On the Local 12 cars there is unfortunately no numbers on the cars.Ist thing to lok at is the Tappet cover, the export Cosworth motors had a black tappet cover which has the machined words ...DOHC, 16V TURBO as well as the Ford logo BUT no "COSWORTH" machined into it.The owner might have sprayed it Blue or Red but it wont have COSWORTH unless he imported a new tappet cover.Look at the diff, it must be an aluminium housing.Get me all the details or mail me some pictures as I know one local Silver car was built and it is possibly the same car.I could always get hold of the original owner who I know had a silver Locally built car.

Cheers

Gavin
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Druss

Post by Druss » Tue 02 Oct 2007, 16:22

Hi Gavin,

Thank you very much for the info. I will try to go and have a look at the car myself, and then I will be able to get some photos and more info for you. Do you have an idea of how much a genuine Cosworth (apparently this car only has 48000km on the clock and thus is in good all-round shape) should be worth? (Estimate on both variations please – imported and BG).

Anyway thank you for your time.

Stephan.

redracer

Post by redracer » Tue 02 Oct 2007, 18:21

Sounds like a possible local car. If the clocks are not in mph as noted by Gavin then it's more than likely local. I know of a few local as well as imported cars in the country, let Gavin send me your pics so we could try help ;)

Druss

Post by Druss » Tue 02 Oct 2007, 20:51

Thanks RedRacer, if I get some photos i will defenitly send them to you guys. Thanks for the notes. Now I just need to see what you guys think a fair price should be, and if my friend doesn't take I would defenitely be interested. Ok, enjoy your evenings.

redracer

Post by redracer » Wed 03 Oct 2007, 12:02

Would be better to communicate with you directly on the price, if and when you decide you could reveal the amount :P

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Thu 04 Oct 2007, 10:04

Druss wrote: Thanks RedRacer, if I get some photos i will defenitly send them to you guys. Thanks for the notes. Now I just need to see what you guys think a fair price should be, and if my friend doesn't take I would defenitely be interested. Ok, enjoy your evenings.

I have placed insurance values on 3 Cosworths and I know what the values should be.So I can tell you exactly if the price is right.

There will be the usual smart ar£$% that will say otherwise.There have been 2 imported Cosworths advertised for sale at very high prices which I think is wrong.

I am positive this silver car is one of the local built cars.there are other tell tale signs, that is if the suspension is still std.The front struts will be the same as the UK cars, they should have an adjustable sring base as well as adjustment on the top of the shock for damping.the strut housing will have "FORD and RS" stamped into the metal as well as an RS sticker and the colour should be silver.I have fitted KONI adjustable shocks to my car byt still have the old struts, If I can find new inserts I will be putting them back
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Social Media