VIN Number

Any discussions about the history of the road going cars
Shailen (BG540)

VIN Number

Post by Shailen (BG540) » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 01:21

Hi guys

Whats a VIN number?

Mine is LE32898 please could someone tell me what that means???

Thanx

TdL351GT

Re: VIN Number

Post by TdL351GT » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 09:15

Shailen (BG540) wrote: Hi guys

Whats a VIN number?

Mine is LE32898 please could someone tell me what that means???

Thanx

Hi Shailen,

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number

Some manufacturers included important information into the VIN number where each of the digits or group of digits have a certain meaning and would refer to certain aspects of the vehicle, like auto or manual for instance, year of manufacture and on some it includes the serial number as well.

On other cars it could mean nothing else but a sequential numerical number.

What car does this number comes from? Perana maybe..BG540?
Where in the world are you?. I see this is your second post..apologies if I missed it the first time. :oops:

regards

Theuns
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

Shailen (BG540)

Post by Shailen (BG540) » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 11:19

Hi TDL351gt

Im from South Africa. I bought a Capri Perana but I think i got caught and its a fake, im not too sure if it is or is'nt a Perana. It has all the specs of a Perana except for the steering rack and the right hand side engine braket and mounting ( I think the car was smashe to be honest) the side that I think got smashed had a plastic Perana badge on it but on the other side it had the original Perana badge. My engine number is BG540.

Please could any one give me tips on how to see if my car is a Perana or not, I did check undernr=eath the seat and there was no tag there either but also thats the side i think that was smashed!!!

Thanx for any help

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 12:20

Shailen (BG540) wrote: Hi TDL351gt

Im from South Africa. I bought a Capri Perana but I think i got caught and its a fake, im not too sure if it is or is'nt a Perana. It has all the specs of a Perana except for the steering rack and the right hand side engine braket and mounting ( I think the car was smashe to be honest) the side that I think got smashed had a plastic Perana badge on it but on the other side it had the original Perana badge. My engine number is BG540.

Please could any one give me tips on how to see if my car is a Perana or not, I did check undernr=eath the seat and there was no tag there either but also thats the side i think that was smashed!!!

Thanx for any help

Very interesting, is your steering rack behind the engine or in front of it and does you BG plate say Manfuctured By or 42 plantation road edenvale?

Is your speedo 140 mph or 220 km/h item? Is your rear suspension lowered by approx 1.5 inches(there would be lowering block)

Any pictures of your car, that would make it easier to identify if its orginal or not, may I ask what year this car is becuase judging by the number could well be early 1973.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Post by 302 » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 12:25

BG 540 is a very high number :? probably on the build limit I would think....

Maybe a Capri converted to V8 from a scrapped BG Granada engine?? (Is this the one without the build plate?)
Certainly a good look at the car, or at least some photos as ZA Perana mentioned would be of some help
John what do you think?
Never too late for a V8

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 12:38

302 wrote: BG 540 is a very high number :? probably on the build limit I would think....

Maybe a Capri converted to V8 from a scrapped BG Granada engine?? (Is this the one without the build plate?)
Certainly a good look at the car, or at least some photos as ZA Perana mentioned would be of some help
John what do you think?

My thinking is definately Granada engine....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Shailen (BG540)

Post by Shailen (BG540) » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 17:52

Hi guys

My car's speedo does say 220km but my steering rack is wrong but I think its wrong because it had a accident by the driver's side. The guy I got my car from said that he will get the tag for me so I'll have to wait and see for that.

Shailen (BG540)

Post by Shailen (BG540) » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 18:15

More Pics
Attachments
My Perana.jpg
Last edited by Shailen (BG540) on Sun 11 Nov 2007, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 18:26

Thanks for the pics, well the steering rack is at the front which suggests a conversion, also the radiator itself is I am 99.9% sure from a Granada Perana. The orginal Perana has the steering rack behind the cross member if I recall correctly...havent been underneath mine in a while!

You have the correct tappet covers though and overall the car looks sound, though obviously there are some resto mods.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Shailen (BG540)

Post by Shailen (BG540) » Sun 11 Nov 2007, 18:29

Guys

I phoned the guy who is going to give me my tag that was on my car and he said that the tag had BG540 on it, it has made in South africa in english and afrikaans and it goes on saying Perana Cars , Basil Green motors pty ltd and it says plantation road edenvale.

Social Media