Vauxhall Cresta OD

Any discussions about the history of the road going cars
ZA Perana

Vauxhall Cresta OD

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 03 May 2008, 12:53

The first of my series of thread on very avg forgotten cars that my dad and I laugh about...this series is bound to be somewhat controversial....not for sensitive readers... :)

From what my dad tells me this was an avg car at best a totally useless at worst, they didnt sell well, tended to be unreliable and were just avg.

Though CAR did enthuse about the Laycock de Normanville overdrive they werent all that enthusiastic about the rest of the package...

The styling was bland the handling a bit poor, oversteer would you beleive it....Steering was criticised for having no feel at all and being very low geared.

On some ways it looked like a squashed Impala....engine wise it had a 3.2 6 cylinder engine producing 120 bhp and thanks to the overdrive got to 95 mph...

This I had to laugh at...the accelerator was described as being too light and far to easy to push to the floor.... :D
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Re: Vauxhall Cresta OD

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 03 May 2008, 12:57

Any suggestions for the next rather forgettable car.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sat 03 May 2008, 16:23

Jacques, which model range of Cresta are you talking about? (PA, PB etc)

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 03 May 2008, 16:52

PB I think it was called.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

moby302

Post by moby302 » Sat 03 May 2008, 17:59

Wonder how many of these are still on the road, tarred roads I mean.

Last edited by moby302 on Sat 03 May 2008, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Moby's Site - Car Related Information, Photos
S A Transport Site - Photos of Various Modes of Transport in South Africa

I am a legend in my own mind, if you want sun, give me a shout and I will stand up, I look in the mirror and see perfection!

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sat 03 May 2008, 18:14

Very few - a very, very rust prone car as the rust test lab called Durban proved.

Was probably killed by GM's own competition - The Opel Rekord, although a little smaller a was a much better car,

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Sat 03 May 2008, 22:49

This is strange ZA as my father owned previous models the both the Zodiac and Cresta that you are referring to. I will try and pull out pictures of both.

Our Cresta came after the rolled Zodiac referred to in my previous posting and was a very forgetable, beige, auto 3spd box with I think the same 3.6 6cyl engine that came on the later model. Even then there were very few of these in this country. Eventually the auto started slipping and on advise of the agents (Reeds) he got rid of it and bought a real car - a Ford Fairlane 500

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 04 May 2008, 00:57

The Vauxhalls in this country didn't seem to meet up with their counterparts in England. As a kid I always remember Vauxhalls as being noisy and smokey with bust exhausts. The only Vauxhalls I like were the Vivas. They were cool and went well.

As KR says, our old man got the 3.3 tri-matic Cresta in about 1967 and I was surprised he did that. The car went ok and was comfortable but it didn't have the guts like the Zodiac MKIII he had previous to it. The only long trip we did in it was over Easter to JHB and it cruised well. The only time we realised we were outclassed was when a gold Lamborghini passed us as though we were standing still, although we were going at about 80 mph at the time.
Attachments
1966 VAUXHALL CRESTA 3.3.jpg

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Sun 04 May 2008, 01:38

Remember the Vauxhall Viscount and the 101. They weren't such bad cars, just British.

HKGTS186S

Post by HKGTS186S » Wed 27 May 2009, 17:46

I like the early 60's Cresta PA did you guys have them in RSA ?
AUS Muscle and RSA Muscle closely related !!!

Social Media