The official Moering Tool 280zx restomod thread!!!

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
Moering Tool

The official Moering Tool 280zx restomod thread!!!

Post by Moering Tool » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 22:17

Today I took delivery of my shiny old 1981 280zedex banger! (many thanks to ters for the gumtree link, +1!)

The car made it through gilloolies rush hour traffic in one piece, although neither the water or oil temp gauges work. The car cut out once but started again. phew!

Some things to report:

Pulls to the left. Heavy smell of fuel.
Shox are farked, water bed city!
The dropped suspension leaves less than 1 inch travel before the front wishbones smack against the underside of the chassis. IDIOTS!
The engine runs hopelessly rich, I watched the fuel guage drop from 1/8 tank to empty in 30km. at least the warning light works! It also possibly explains the backfiring and smell.

Washer fluid warning works! heh.
Oil pressure is good!
Kickdown is good, no propshaft vibes as far as I can tell.
Power windows work, left side sukkling. power mirrors still work. The mirrors are a joke though and would suit a dentist!
The engine is a bit busy with short gearing imo. 3000rpm@90kph. I can try inching up the rear tyre.

Lots more but I will continue when I get to a PC. I will update this thread wif pics and updates as time and finances allow. Wish me luck, guys!

MY MISSUS LOVES THE CAR!!!! :mrgreen:

Bearhawke

Re: The official Moering Tool 280zx restomod thread!!!

Post by Bearhawke » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 04:14

Keep us posted. Those ZX's were quite a good machine back in the day. Now for weird: Datsun SA followed the 'USA' naming protocol by using '280ZX' whereas that same car sold in Japan was named 'Fairlady'. :)
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 08:15

Congrats moering tool!

I loves me a car with issues, make sure you get lots of satisfaction from the repairs... Good luck and enjoy

ters

Post by ters » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 08:23

No problem MT! Good luck with the Z. Please do keep updating (no swearing allowed ;) )

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 08:27

Thanks guys. The old lady really has a personality and she was very charming on the drive home. I'm already hooked! :) So very very different from the plastic mik-en-druk appliances you get these days.

First order of business is to get the temp gauges and suspension sorted so I can get the car roadworthied. Oh, and to replace that ridiculous Koos exhaust pipe.

The cats (we have four) also approved wholeheartedly. I sat in the car having a smoke this morning, and the cats were all over and under and in and out. Love the little buggers!!

Ters - EK GAAN NOG BAIE F$%^&*N VLOEK, ek weet dit sommer!!! :lol:

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 08:33

P.S What I really enjoyed ("binne-pret" soos hulle sê) was how all the yuppies in their GTIs and whatnot were staring and cutting through traffic to get a closer look. And then when I popped my head sideways to look at them, they'd jerk their heads forwards as if they weren't watching. Mwahahahahahaha!!!

Any suggestions for a colour? I'm really digging the Ferrari GTO/Dino look from the front and front quarter (especially the inset wheels), so I'm thinking red maybe?

Would pearlescent Lexus white with Martini striping over the top be kitsch?

I forgot to mention, I had the windows down, and had two offers to buy in the bumper-to-bumper traffic!!! (The yellow price stickers were still on the windscreen) :mrgreen:

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 08:48

you should consider getting a workshop manual, its not the be all and end all of restorations but any info does help. Try Owners Workshop Manual #563, i know there's a place here in escourt avenue that sells them, will set you back about 300 bucks.

If your on the cheap, i found some info from undisclosed sources ;) its actually for a Nissan 280C not sure but i believe its similar. pm if you want me to mail it to you.

Again good luck.

gordini

Post by gordini » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 09:45

Good luck with the buy MT and enjoy the build.... 8) 8) 8) ;) ;)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 09:58

Weasel wrote:you should consider getting a workshop manual, its not the be all and end all of restorations but any info does help. Try Owners Workshop Manual #563, i know there's a place here in escourt avenue that sells them, will set you back about 300 bucks.

If your on the cheap, i found some info from undisclosed sources ;) its actually for a Nissan 280C not sure but i believe its similar. pm if you want me to mail it to you.

Again good luck.
Thanks! I got a complete set of Factory Service Manuals in PDF from zdriver.com, and wiring diagrams and whatnot. The haynes manual is 500 van riebeecks, a bit steep imo but probably a good investment.

280C is the nissan laurel if I'm not mistaken?

gordini

Post by gordini » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:10

Glip a Lexus and 5spd Cressida box in there mate...ure se pret en plesier :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Social Media