67 Mustang GTA 390 Fastback Restoration project begins

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
IndianaJones

Re: 67 Mustang GTA 390 Fastback Restoration project begins

Post by IndianaJones » Thu 30 Oct 2014, 18:32

Looking forward to follow your progress, all the best for the build.

Must say that was, and will be again, one nicely specced Mustang.

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Thu 30 Oct 2014, 22:21

ters wrote:
Moering Tool wrote: admodinators
8O Halloween spirits?! :lol:

Do you want to post your progress without posts from others in between? As Simon mentioned, editing ability expires unfortunately.....

Ters.
yeah that was the plan.. in that I was going to set up a index before and after pics, what I have done, who I used externally to do different things and their contact details etc etc all up front in a summary for easy reference to others.

But if you say editing expires then there goes the plan... :oops:

ters

Post by ters » Fri 31 Oct 2014, 06:42

brennan67 wrote: yeah that was the plan.. in that I was going to set up a index before and after pics, what I have done, who I used externally to do different things and their contact details etc etc all up front in a summary for easy reference to others.

But if you say editing expires then there goes the plan... :oops:
Post away Brennan, we'll see what we can do to accommodate your thoughtfulness ;) .

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Mon 01 Dec 2014, 16:36

Ok so a couple of topics posted recently on the forum got me thinking about my project namely :

Muscle Car Market - post /topic:

http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... =5&t=18601

I have been compiling my wish list/ parts list/ shopping list and I am needing to buy lots of stuff. Its really great to do the research of what you need to make a awesome car, like new again. But in researching what parts are avail these days its quite hard to stay on track.. There are so many many options upgrades and you almost have to hold yourself back..

I started out thinking 100% original car, I have the correct date code block, I dont have the correct heads, but they are indeed avail to purchase from the USA the correct date code heads for the car. So I think do I go with Alu heads, and then I might as well go with a Alu intake. Then I say well I done the heads lets stroke the 390 to a 445. then well we need upgraded brakes as we are now talking 500HP.

I need to make these decisions on my project of whether to go original or modify so slightly. Its a hard call and when do to stop ?

What you guys think about this it can be quite confusing....?

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Mon 01 Dec 2014, 17:01

Ok so here is some info for you guys from Hagerty about values on mustangs in USA for different models :
http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1967-Ford-Mustang

1st one is a indication of value for coupes, fastbacks and convertible and all the engine models and or /GT or standard
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.43.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.43.09 PM.png (151.99 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
next is a valuation of a entry level fastback non GT with a 289 :

Then lastly the GT s code 390 fastback :

What surprised me is the values have skyrocketed of late in the USA for these cars! Also that there is a Huge value jump between the various fastback models. I have known that a fastback is worth more than a coupe but it seems the S codes and GT models are double the value of your normal fastback !!

Looking at this I dont want to screw this up, its hard to know do you modify and enjoy the car or do you stay stock original? Surely bolt ons like heads, intake, brakes are going to give you better enjoyment of car but will it be molesting it... the pressure the press to do the right thing.. lol
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.40.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.40.26 PM.png (183.51 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.40.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.40.59 PM.png (180.73 KiB) Viewed 4166 times

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Mon 01 Dec 2014, 18:32

If I were in you shoes, and since your car is a numbers matching S-code car, I would stick to as original restoration as possible, using original parts. It would be a very fine line between tastefully modified, and over modified. Some tasteful mods might be OK, disc brakes, A/C, etc.

Any 67 fastback can be a blank canvass for enhancing performance, comfort or safety.
Any 67/68 fastback can be made into a S-code GTA clone, but only your Mustang is one, I think it's worth treasuring.

But in the end, it is your car, and comes down to your choice. There will be no point in having a car restored to original spec, other than investment, if you are not going to enjoy the standard car.

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Mon 01 Dec 2014, 21:32

http://youtu.be/75OJMsFrVZo

This is what has got me to lose focus...

I do take the points they are very valid. Any more comments are most welcome guys I need to weight up all schools of thought on this.

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Tue 02 Dec 2014, 09:58

Hey Brennan

That 390 GT is totally awesome to say the least,

Another take on what was discussed in the muscle car values, the GT will always be a car that holds and increases its value over time.
Like I said before, proper collectors want totally original numbers matching and possibly only period mods that dealers offered in the day, these are cars that wont be driven unless it is for a show or concourse etc and I really don't see the point of that as the owner is all for showmanship and not owning the car for the Joy of driving it

The upgrades you mention that you want to do is great , to me this is fine as at the end of the day its your car, all the original parts you will want to keep wrapped up and stashed away, all the mods will be great for performance and drivability and will probably be done properly which wont detract from the value of the car. It will be a better drivers car in the spirit of the original and you will enjoy it for sure

I've done a few cars for insurance values that have had similar mods and in my write up on them this is mentioned as in the event of an accident or theft the owner does not lose out as it is very easy to spend a R100k plus on a classic muscle car.

If you ever have to sell such a car at least the Vin number etc is all genuine and it is still an original car and the original parts go with the car to the new owner , no problem in that as the value is still there.

Good luck going to be an awesome project
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Tue 02 Dec 2014, 16:15

Thanks Gavin - Thats the thing, its not a base model, I had a base model coupe and I felt it was only right to upgrade her to make it a bit more fun to drive. However on the GT 390 I dont want to stuff this up, its in my hands right?? to do it the best I can.

Some people have said the 390 in the mustang was a bit sluggish as Ford put very restrictive heads, intake on the original and to get it to compete with the Chevys and Mopars of the day you needed to free up that breathing.

So whilst I am about original I also want that torque that only a big block can deliver when I put the foot down. The way I am looking at it I would keep the numbers matching block, but just put some Alu heads and intake, paint them all original ford blue, original aircleaner, some headers and we are done. I was torn about adding a stroker kit to the original bock to take it to a 445, it would be fun to have 500HP and 500Nm, but then I must go Cam, roller rockers, upgraded brakes. It then becomes where to stop.

Indy - you make some good points too man.. very valid indeed. I dont see myself putting the car on a trailer I see it been driven . So surely if thats my goal these slight mods would be seen as reasonable and not detract away from the car ?

If I was to convert it to a heaven forbid, "Elanor" I would say thats a sin and I should be shot, rather take a baseline Fastback and do that if thats your thing. I am also not wanting to do a Bullet replica either, even though that was in the spirt of the time, for a 67/68 fastback in Dark moss green / or Highland green to get a set of torque thrusts and all the chrome trim and badging to be removed I dont know if I would even go that far. As it becomes a tribute or clone car, whereby as it is original it has its own style to maintain and in its original colour and GT stripes and badging it rocks.

Thanks all who are providing the feedback I really do appreciate all the thoughts and advice, keep them coming. I will start sending pics during the month of December of what things look like of this project. I am planning to buy parts in 1 or 2 sea freight shipments so I am working on those parts lists and then we will start stripping in prep for blasting in early Jan.

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Tue 02 Dec 2014, 18:55

Going by how your blue coupe came out, I can only assume you will build this GT into a great car.

Must say, I love Torque-Thrust wheels, and don't think it will look out of place.

Social Media